• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

phpbb2 vs OpenBB

Originally posted by conkermaniac
I haven't seen any impressive features with phpBB 2 yet...They look pretty standard to me. It must be harder to customize because I see more "uncustomized" boards, in terms of images (which is understandable) AND colors (which is really weird). I will try it out, but can someone explain to me why so many people don't customize their phpBB 2 boards? (I'm not saying nobody's board is customized, but I still see very many "boring" default schemes.)
Well Mika pretty much summed it up--not in my case though. ;)

Many people also just aren't confortable opening up the templates in a text editor.

OpenBB may be more professional looking but phpBB2 is definately more sleek-looking and is better overall.

For some reason I have never really liked the look of phpbb.

It works great, but i just dislike the way it looks.

So far my favourite is XMB.

I'll admit phpBB 1.x doesn't look so hot, but 2.x isn't too shabby.

XMB is a dead project.

But by far, uncustomized YaBB boards are more common than ANY other leading message board script. And the colors are FAR uglier than phpBB's (though the overall black scheme would probably fit more websites). :)

I agree with Phrozen. When is the official release of XMB? They've been in BETA for a LONG time. :p

I think once OpenBB v2 comes out it will be very good... phpbb2 is ok.. I do not like how it works in relation to the member permissions etc...

I liked IB3... now need to wait while they nut out a new cgi and php versions of iBoard......

In the mean time, I may go with phpBB2

XMB is up again and they're going to release a new version. I don't think that we should expect many things, but it's better than nothing.

Back