• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

phpbb2 vs OpenBB

Chicken

NLC
NLC
Ala Chips :D ...

phpbb2 vs OpenBB

I'm going to be annoying and ask about two specific boards and I'd like to know if anyone has had experience with both of these (preferably) and which they feel is stronger at the moment. I've seen a bunch posted and I'm mainly looking for something free, fast, looks decent out of the box, mysql/php with install script (has to have all of those things) for a site I'm doing for work (they aren't paying me). It doesn't have to have stellar admin backend functions, though as good as possible.

These two seem to have caught my eye, though I'd be willing to hear about another *if* you've used these two and feel that the one you are suggesting is better and *why*...

In other words, no this one is best, that one is best...

If you've used only one of the above and have used one that you feel is better then that is fine too, I might rethink the choices then.

Any help & advice you can provide will be appreciated.

ok,
If your going for looks OpenBB is the one for you, but if your going for features (with a great admin panel!) Go for phpBB2.

If you did choose phpBB2 though I would wait until the first 'official' release.

I think that OpenBB looks a bit more professional. But often I get some errors , when I use it, specially while trying to administrate the forum. Their development team doesn't look that active too.

phpbb2, it's a really good forum, and although it's not a final release, I've never had serious problems.

Smooth installation for both of them. I haven't noticed difference with the speed of these two forums. Personally I like more openbb.

Errrr... maybe it should, I don't know (seems everyone always dicusses it here, though maybe they discuss it there as well).

Ok, well a minimum amount of admin function is needed, not much (I say now), so I think I'll try out phpbb2 and see what happens. Danke all.

Originally posted by Chicken
so I think I'll try out phpbb2 and see what happens.
Good choice. It has the best admin panel out of the free boards. Great board...

no no no I'm not looking to spend money on this, this isn't going to be a commercial forum like FWS, this is going to be an add-on for a site I'm building for an elementary school. They aren't paying me... thus I'm not spending a dime on it, other than my time (which sadly isn't being compensated).

Shit~ Freaking expensive ->
Here is what you get:
--
Receive a copy of the Ideal BB CORP version
Access to all source code include COM object source
5 Support incidents
Access to special developer forums where developers respond to issues within 24 hours
--

$2095

What a rip!

I haven't seen any impressive features with phpBB 2 yet...They look pretty standard to me. It must be harder to customize because I see more "uncustomized" boards, in terms of images (which is understandable) AND colors (which is really weird). I will try it out, but can someone explain to me why so many people don't customize their phpBB 2 boards? (I'm not saying nobody's board is customized, but I still see very many "boring" default schemes.)

Back