• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

PHP newbie..

imation

do you have to CHMOD PHP or is that only for CGI? and, does PHP have to be uploaded in the cgi-bin or can it be anywhere? this question is in relation to installing vbulletin.

thanks

No CModing required :) and can be run from anywhere depending on your host has configured the server. In most cases you can run it from anywhere.

Originally posted by imation
do you have to CHMOD PHP or is that only for CGI? and, does PHP have to be uploaded in the cgi-bin or can it be anywhere? this question is in relation to installing vbulletin.

thanks

PHP is great.. u dont need to set permission for the PHP files them selves.. how ever.. if the script reads/writes from a file then u must chmod that particular file(s) and PHP is lot more robust. So thats why i don't like Perl anymore..lol! but im doing 2 projects rightnow one with perl other with php.. wanna taste both of them ;)

PHP is also so simple to learn. I mean after 2 hours of reading and playing around, I am now capable of building a MySQL / PHP databased site and just plain simple PHP pages.

Although I haven't attempted to learn Perl, PHP seems to do everything I would ever need to, and is much more simple. Though I do have quite alot of experience with other programming languages. C++, Java, Javascript, HTML, Basic etc.

Yes you don't need to CHMod either, but you do need to be sure to protect your database password etc, when doing database connectivity. I would guess that megacool is correct in saying you need to php files that read/write. But usually you would be doing that to a database.

One more thing, usually you can make any directory into a cgi-bin. Unless your host restricts that.

Back