• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

[PHP|CGI]Need homepage community scripts

darkcurves

NLC
I was just wondering if there are any other free homepage community script like EasyHost. I like Easyhost, but the problem is their free version is very limited. I cant limit the bandwidth for each account,i cant view a list of all my users and their details and i am also unable to restrict file size limit and file size type. I know free scripts cant do this. Just wondering if there any out there. Thanks for helping out.

I had a plan of writing a script like that before... it's half (or quarter) done but I haven't gotten back to it in a while...

This came to mind, not really exactly related to your question but still programming related; how would you have a script limit the bandwidth for each account? all your other specs requests are possible stuff but I'm not sure about this one. It seems to me this would be a server-side thing and would require some kind of access to some server logs or something to do.

[edit]
BTW how much would you be willing to pay for a script like this? I *am* seriously considering about finishing up this script and was wondering how the market would be (and the price people would agree to pay for it).

Last edited:
I found a couple. Here are the links:

Easyhost
I like this script coz very easy to install and has a great design. Cant limit file size and also cant limit file types. The paid version has more features but it costs a bomb, about 150 bucks!!!
http://www.cyberscript.net/products/easyhost_free/

Leaps File Manager
Open source project. Can limit the file size and file types. Too bad i didn;t know about it earlier.
http://leaps.sourceforge.net/file_manager.html

Elite Web Page Builder
http://www.elitehosts.com/scripts/main.htm

All this scripts does not allow to limit the data transfer for users. I guess that is something free scripts cant do. Since even Xpanel is only 50 bucks, i think you gotta sell it lower than that.

hey.. EasyHost looks like the kind of script I'd be writing, and it looks really nice and complete too. guess there is no need for me to write any.

does anyone know anything about any ways to limit the bandwidth for users? I'm really interested in knowing how to do that. :cow2:

darkcurves, a script called Super Homepages Pro (don't ask me about the name.. lol) seems to be able to do all that you ask for, in particular the bandwidth limit feature.

http://www.superhomepagespro.com/

so as I was saying, since there IS a script that is able to do this -- I'm sure there would be a way to check data transfer on a certain directory. how would one go about doing that?

Hmm, nice but stil very expensive for someone who wants to offer free hosting. If you manage to finish this script, contact me, maybe you can let me use it and in return i can promote ur script? Hehe.

Heh I just got back to working on this script. The file manager part is all I got so far. I've spent some time to revamp my old code structures quite a bit, fixed many random stuff, and added the possibility to easily add new language sets for the file manager. Pretty much done with the file manager now; time to get on to making it multi-user, with signups/admin area and all.

Don't hold your breath tho -- I don't really know how long the rest of this will take me (hopefully within this winter break) and random things may come into my way to stop my progress like usual :angry2: But I'm fairly certain I can incorporate all the features you need other than the bandwidth check/limit. And when I do get it out, I'll be happy to let you use it for free for some good promotion in return :biggrin2:

Originally posted by ReFiNeD
Agum

Bandwidth monitor not possible unless you use commands...

-Ryan

you mean calling a unix command by the exec() function? I don't really even know of a unix command that can check bandwidth -- would you know of any? It would be fine to use that, I think.

Just to update you darkcurves (and/or anyone else that cares), I'm completely done with the file manager with all features that I wanted on it. Next is the admin area, which looks like it will take quite some time. *Hopefully* (big hope) I can finish by a week into January, but I sorta doubt it.. if I can't, then it'll be pretty much at least by the end of January, since school starts a week after Jan 1st for me, and hardcore CS classes will keep me pretty busy on weekdays.. especially with courses like Comp Architecture and Software Engineering :)

Bandwidth monitoring is easy as cake.
Limiting isn't.

As for as I know, the only way to limit it is via apache, and there don't seem to be any modules to do it freely avaliable.

I'm working on this for a project of mine, I will post back when I figure out how to do it.

Back