• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

PHP 5 Host needed

deano17

Hi,

I am looking for a host who can provide me with 20-50mb of space with cpanel, PHP 5 and mysql. The host I was using only has PHP 4 and I need PHP 5 for a school project. There won't be any visitors and I can't really put ads on the site. It is just for a project I am doing with PHP 5 in school.

Dean

Twisted Reality said:
Hi,

I am looking for a host who can provide me with 20-50mb of space with cpanel, PHP 5 and mysql. The host I was using only has PHP 4 and I need PHP 5 for a school project. There won't be any visitors and I can't really put ads on the site. It is just for a project I am doing with PHP 5 in school.

Dean
Uhm, aren't you already hosted with us?

In any case, Clubhost City uses the newest PHP v5.1.2 on all accounts!
  • 650 MB Web Space
  • 50 GB Monthly Data Transfer (Bandwidth)
  • Latest Cpanel w/ Fantastico (Updated Daily)
  • PHP Version 5.1.2 !!!
  • Perl / CGI Scripting Support
  • MySQL v4.1.18 Database
  • phMyAdmin DB Manager
  • Both FTP and Web Based Uploads
  • POP3 Email w/Spam Protection
  • Webmail Access to Email
  • ISP Port Blocking Bypass Feature
  • Daily and "On Demand" File Backups
  • Web Traffic Statistics w/ AwStats
  • MS Frontpage Extensions (On Request)
  • Exceeds 99.9% Annual Network Uptime
  • No Ads, Text Links, or Required Forum Posting

I can't install xaamp on the school computers. My friend tried to do that and it wouldn't let him because of installer restrictions.

Razerst- Emailed an application to you.

AMZ- I was hosted with you about 2 years ago, but that was when it was still just clubhost. Something got messed up and you cancelled my account or something like that. I am not hosted there anymore though.

xiaojun24- Thanks for the info.

Twisted Reality said:
AMZ- I was hosted with you about 2 years ago, but that was when it was still just clubhost. Something got messed up and you cancelled my account or something like that. I am not hosted there anymore though.
Your account was never cancelled. That was back when we changed
domain that was used on everybody's accounts for those who had subdomain
accounts. An email alert was sent out telling everyone that their web
addresses had changed and the new address ..... long time ago though.

Anyway, I'd like to announce Clubhost as one of the first hosts on PHP v5.1.3
which was just released and containing a number of updates and bug fixes !!!!

Last edited:
I don't remember getting an email... I don't remember my info to get on there though. Last time I was there you guys were using plesk.

Just to let everyone know I found a host with php 5. Thanks for all the offers.

Twisted Reality said:
I don't remember getting an email... I don't remember my info to get on there though. Last time I was there you guys were using plesk.

Just to let everyone know I found a host with php 5. Thanks for all the offers.

I'm glad to hear it. :)

I hope more follow in your footsteps and move on to PHP5. It is quite a bit better than PHP4.

I heard that when you upgrade to php5, some sites working on php4 gets into problem and stop working...

HMarker said:
I heard that when you upgrade to php5, some sites working on php4 gets into problem and stop working...

That is true even when you enable the Zend Engine 1 compatibility mode.

Most of us just run it side by side with PHP4 when we support PHP5.

Twisted Reality said:
We converted the entire network over to Cpanel w/Fantastico more
than a year ago ... back in March 2005.

If you have not touched your account in 2 years, it's likely rolled off by now
but I can do some checking and send you that information if you like.

No, that is not true! Even though PHP5 has new ways of doing things
expecially in terms of object oriented code, it is designed to be fully
backwards compliant with old PHP4 and more than 98% of the scripts and
programs out there will just fine under PHP5 without any changes or
modifications. As I said, PHP5 is fully backwards compatible to PHP4.

There is only a very small and very limited specific set of functions that
have been dropped or changed such that they would not perform the
same way in PHP5 and those specific functions generally would not
appear in any normal regular script.

Those extremely few scripts that do use those few particular functions
would not have any problems under PHP5 unless the designer of the program
used non-standard programming exploiting a very specific quirk in PHP4
instead of what was officially documented for that function.

The point is though, all your scripts and web sites designed for PHP4
will work perfectly fine under PHP5 without any problems.

I find that most people complaining that their scripts don't work with PHP5
generally don't know what they are doing or what they are even talking about
or more specifically ... their host probably did not know how to properly install
or configure PHP5. There are a few configuration changes you need to make
with the PHP.INI file when upgrading to PHP5 and I have seen a lot of
hosts ignore this step and end up with a half functioning PHP installation.

LP-Trel said:
That is true even when you enable the Zend Engine 1 compatibility mode.

Most of us just run it side by side with PHP4 when we support PHP5.
Zend works just fine but make sure you DO NOT compile with "versioning" if using Zend Engine.
That is the #1 biggest mistake that everyone seems to make!

You can only run both PHP4 and PHP5 if one of them is run as an Apache module and the
other as a CGI. If both are installed as modules or both as CGI then only one of the PHP versions
will actually function and the other one will be effectively dead. Even when setup properly for
dual operation as side by side module and CGI, there can be conflicts between the two installations
because or problems with Apache being able to separate the handlers between the dual
PHP installations. Generally speaking, it is not recommended that you run both PHP4 and PHP5
and that alone can be the source of many PHP problems. Since PHP5 is actually fully backwards
compatible to PHP4, there really is no reason to keep PHP4 installed on the server anyway.

Last edited:
amz said:
No, that is not true! Even though PHP5 has new ways of doing things
expecially in terms of object oriented code, it is designed to be fully
backwards compliant with old PHP4 and more than 98% of the scripts and
programs out there will just fine under PHP5 without any changes or
modifications. As I said, PHP5 is fully backwards compatible to PHP4.

I can't dispute your percentage as I don't know how you came up with it, but I can say the following:

Try to run phpBB 2.0.x, IPB 1.3.x, IPB 2.0.x, Joomla/Mambo, PHP-Nuke, X-Cart and others with PHP5. You'll see just how compatible it is.

Many older and popular scripts still require PHP4 to run and that will still be the case for awhile. Support of PHP5 is becoming required, but I still think that PHP4 support is necessary for now.

amz said:
You can only run both PHP4 and PHP5 if one of them is run as an Apache module and the
other as a CGI. If both are installed as modules or both as CGI then only one of the PHP versions
will actually function and the other one will be effectively dead. Even when setup properly for
dual operation as side by side module and CGI, there can be conflicts between the two installations
because or problems with Apache being able to separate the handlers between the dual
PHP installations. Generally speaking, it is not recommended that you run both PHP4 and PHP5
and that alone can be the source of many PHP problems. Since PHP5 is actually fully backwards
compatible to PHP4, there really is no reason to keep PHP4 installed on the server anyway.

The "application/x-httpd-php" handling is the least of your worries if you actually want to run them side by side as modules. Without a patch to the Apache source code to rework some of the symbol handling and other internal DSO handling you won't be able to even start Apache (this will depend on your kernel and OS) with both loading in the httpd.conf.

With a proper configuration both as a module, both as a CGI, or one as a module with the other as a CGI is perfectly safe. My service has been using both configurations (both as a module and both as a CGI) on different servers since about 3 weeks after PHP 5.0.0 was released.

Note: I've already added in PHP6 support via the development version.

LP-Trel said:
Try to run phpBB 2.0.x, IPB 1.3.x, IPB 2.0.x, Joomla/Mambo, PHP-Nuke, X-Cart and others with PHP5. You'll see just how compatible it is.
ROFL! All of the above work absolutely 100% perfectly with PHP5 !!!!

(Been there ... done that!)

We have all of the applications you listed above running on our network
from hundreds of users accounts for quite some time with absolutely
no problems whatsoever. All of those programs work just fine under PHP5!

More times than not, there really is not any PHP compatibility issue but rather just the
incompetence (or just innocent ignorance) of the server administrators where those
programs are hosted. Most usually have PHP5 incorrectly installed but think it's
"running fine" when it actually is not.

If you install any of the programs you listed above on a host that has PHP5 properly installed
and configured, you won't have any problems running any of those application or most
anything else for that matter which also kind of throws the "incompatible with PHP5"
theory right out the window!

Many older and popular scripts still require PHP4 to run and that will still be the case for awhile. Support of PHP5 is becoming required, but I still think that PHP4 support is necessary for now.
Wrong! There is virtually no programs out there that requires PHP4 to run
or more specifically virtually none that would not otherwise work perfectly
fine running under PHP5.

Illustrating my point is the fact that you listed a bunch of programs in
the last section above that you thought were not compatible with PHP5
which are actually 100% fully compatible with PHP5 and have absolutely
no problems running whatsoever! Been there ... done that.

Also, PHP5 has been out in official release for more than a year already
which is way more than enough time for updates not that any would
really be required with most programs.

The "application/x-httpd-php" handling is the least of your worries if you actually want to run them side by side as modules. Without a patch to the Apache source code to rework some of the symbol handling and other internal DSO handling you won't be able to even start Apache (this will depend on your kernel and OS) with both loading in the httpd.conf.
Thanks for the re-cap of what I already said! :)

You just said the same thing that I just said in my last post .... Duh!

If you think I said to run both as modules then you obviously didn't read my post!

With a proper configuration both as a module, both as a CGI, or one as a module with the other as a CGI is perfectly safe. My service has been using both configurations (both as a module and both as a CGI) on different servers since about 3 weeks after PHP 5.0.0 was released.
Part of your problem running some applications on PHP5 is because
you are running both PHP4 and PHP5. Yes you can run one as a module
and one as a CGI to have both running at the same time but because
of a few bugs in the way Apache handles certain things, it still causes
conflicts between the two PHP versions and that is the primary source
of what you erroneously mistook as PHP5 not being compatible with
certain programs is in reality actually PHP4 on the system causing a few
small parts of PHP5 not to function correctly. If you are only running
PHP5 then many of those conflicts are gone and you will find that PHP5 is
suddenly a lot more "compatible" than you thought.

The order of your module loading in httpd.conf also makes a big difference
as does the configuration directives used in your PHP.INI config file.

Speaking of which, another item is that your PHP5 and PHP4 **CANNOT**
share the same PHP.INI file! Yes, I know you "CAN" do it but you shouldn't
because the configuration for PHP4 is not really designed for PHP5 and using
a configuration file designed only for PHP4 has also been known to cause
problems for PHP5 operating correctly. There are some directives you should
change in the PHP.INI when installing PHP5 so it is best to have 2 separate
configuration files if you are actually running both PHP4 and PHP5
(which again I do not recommend that you do)

Note: I've already added in PHP6 support via the development version.
As I said, I don't recommend running multiple instances of PHP on
any Apache based server. I could explain the specific details of the
reasons for the reasons behind that and the exact specific problems
with Apache but that is pretty technical and an extensive topic in
and of itself and these posts are already getting long enough especially
given that this post probably is reaching world record length already.

LP-Trel, I've known you a long time on here and if you would like help
resolving out the issues with your PHP5 installation, I'd be glad to lend
a hand to help you get your PHP5 running as well as ours.

PS: If it makes you feel any better though, we went through a period
about a year ago where we made all the same mistakes as yourself and
many of the other hosts out there just trying to support PHP5. We even
did the "run one as CGI and one as module" trick until we later discovered
that was the source of some of the alleged PHP5 incompatibilities. However,
we learned from our mistakes and finally discovered what the real issues
where and it turned out all our original thoughts of PHP5 incompatibilities
just like yours were all complete misconceptions and totally wrong!

Last edited:
amz said:
ROFL! All of the above work absolutely 100% perfectly with PHP5 !!!!

(Been there ... done that!)

We have all of the applications you listed above running on our network
from hundreds of users accounts for quite some time with absolutely
no problems whatsoever. All of those programs work just fine under PHP5!

I'm sure the groups that write some of these scripts will be very happy to learn how to make their software compatible with PHP5 without code modifications. ;)

---

As bad as I hate to admit it I was partially wrong:

phpBB's core is compatible with PHP5 as of 2.0.19. Many "mods" or "hacks" for it to add functionality still aren't compatible.

X-Cart is compatible with PHP5 in its 4.1.0 version. I am not certain which build added compatibility, but it wouldn't suprise me if it was only recently added.

IPB 1.3.x is not compatible with PHP5 without some code modifications that have to be manually added.

IPB 2.0.x is not compatible with PHP5 as far as I know. I believe PHP5 support was added in the later 2.1.x builds.

PHP-Nuke is not compatible even in its later builds.

Joomla is not compatible even in the latest build.

Xoops does not seem to be compatible without extensive modifications to its source.

This only goes to reinforce my point of PHP4 and PHP5 being required to run all scripts.

amz said:
More times than not, there really is not any PHP compatibility issue but rather just the
incompetence (or just innocent ignorance) of the server administrators where those
programs are hosted. Most usually have PHP5 incorrectly installed but think it's
"running fine" when it actually is not.

If you install any of the programs you listed above on a host that has PHP5 properly installed
and configured, you won't have any problems running any of those application or most
anything else for that matter which also kind of throws the "incompatible with PHP5"
theory right out the window!

While I maintain many servers and have tested this extensively in the past I will also be the first to admit that I don't know everything. I will be happy to take a look at your configurations and methodology as if what you say is accurate it could be a big step forward in PHP5 adoption among shared webhosting providers. Forgive me for still being skeptical as my past tests show many scripts have between minor and major issues with PHP5 even with Zend Engine 1 compatibilty enabled. :)

amz said:
Wrong! There is virtually no programs out there that requires PHP4 to run
or more specifically virtually none that would not otherwise work perfectly
fine running under PHP5.

Illustrating my point is the fact that you listed a bunch of programs in
the last section above that you thought were not compatible with PHP5
which are actually 100% fully compatible with PHP5 and have absolutely
no problems running whatsoever! Been there ... done that.

Also, PHP5 has been out in official release for more than a year already
which is way more than enough time for updates not that any would
really be required with most programs.

Many are waiting for their next major release (such as phpBB) before announcing official PHP5 support. Some scripts have third party code patches which make them compatible or are just compatible by way of not using functions that changed between PHP4 and PHP5.

The big issue with all of this is scripts such as phpBB, Xoops, PHP-Nuke, PostNuke, Joomla, and others that make extensive use of third party modules to extend their functionality. These third parties may release the module and never update it again to support PHP5. Even one module going bad makes for an interesting time for a customer which isn't something I like to do.

amz said:
Thanks for the re-cap of what I already said!

You just said the same thing that I just said in my last post .... Duh!

If you think I said to run both as modules then you obviously didn't read my post!

Actually I read your post quite carefully which is why I wrote:

LP-Trel said:

in response to:

amz said:
If both are installed as modules or both as CGI then only one of the PHP versions
PHP installations.

To break that down a bit:

amz said:
If both are installed as modules or both as CGI then only one of the PHP versions
will actually function and the other one will be effectively dead.

Assuming you patch the PHP source to give each their own handler (application/x-httpd-php and application/x-httpd-php5) you are correct in that they will still be effectively dead as Apache will either not start or will fail to load one of the modules.

Certain internal operations of Apache aren't isolated to the point where both PHP4 and PHP5 can be loaded at the same time. With a patch to Apache to isolate these operations both can be loaded at the same time without a conflict because they are allocated their own memory space.

amz said:
ven when setup properly for
PHP installations.

This is easily solved by patching the PHP source with a new handler line.

amz said:
Part of your problem running some applications on PHP5 is because
you are running both PHP4 and PHP5. Yes you can run one as a module
and one as a CGI to have both running at the same time but because
of a few bugs in the way Apache handles certain things, it still causes
conflicts between the two PHP versions and that is the primary source
of what you erroneously mistook as PHP5 not being compatible with
certain programs is in reality actually PHP4 on the system causing a few
small parts of PHP5 not to function correctly. If you are only running
PHP5 then many of those conflicts are gone and you will find that PHP5 is
suddenly a lot more "compatible" than you thought.

In the case of a module without proper isolation you may have a point, but since you mentioned CGIs too. I will focus on that.

I fail to see how two separate CGI installations could conflict with each other in any way. They are not loaded into Apache's memory and are completely isolated from each other.

Example: Perl has no effect on PHP when both are run as a CGI or one is run as a module and one is run as a CGI.

Apache receives a request for a index.php. Apache starts the CGI handler, passes the request to it, the CGI handler replies with the content, the CGI process dies, and the content is passed to the requesting software via HTTP.

You can run as many different CGIs as you want without them conflicting provided they are given different handlers.

amz said:
Speaking of which, another item is that your PHP5 and PHP4 **CANNOT**
share the same PHP.INI file! Yes, I know you "CAN" do it but you shouldn't
because the configuration for PHP4 is not really designed for PHP5 and using
a configuration file designed only for PHP4 has also been known to cause
problems for PHP5 operating correctly. There are some directives you should
change in the PHP.INI when installing PHP5 so it is best to have 2 separate
configuration files if you are actually running both PHP4 and PHP5
(which again I do not recommend that you do)

Using different php.ini documents has never been a problem. The --with-config-file-path PHP compile line option neatly solves the problem. :)

amz said:
As I said, I don't recommend running multiple instances of PHP on
any Apache based server. I could explain the specific details of the
reasons for the reasons behind that and the exact specific problems
with Apache but that is pretty technical and an extensive topic in
and of itself and these posts are already getting long enough especially
given that this post probably is reaching world record length already.

I don't mind a debate on technical issues getting longer and I'm sure anyone reading this is learning a few things about the PHP4 and PHP5 transition. :)

amz said:
LP-Trel, I've known you a long time on here and if you would like help
resolving out the issues with your PHP5 installation, I'd be glad to lend
a hand to help you get your PHP5 running as well as ours.

Your offer is definitely accepted. Please feel free to PM me more information about this as I am very interested to learn more about your methods. If this all of this is accurate it could make for a very interesting article in the Ping! Zine webhosting magazine. :)

LP-Trel, if I do remember correctly(long ago), I did run IPB 2.0.0 successfully on PHP5. Forgot though, but I think I did.

kwekminghong said:
LP-Trel, if I do remember correctly(long ago), I did run IPB 2.0.0 successfully on PHP5. Forgot though, but I think I did.

The thing to remember about these types of scripts is that not all errors become immediately apparent. If you ran it for a short time then you likely did not notice any of the problems that come up as a result of it. Even having said that feel free to take IPB out of my list and just focus on the other very popular content management systems or forums and their more popular modules. :)

LP-Trel said:
The thing to remember about these types of scripts is that not all errors become immediately apparent. If you ran it for a short time then you likely did not notice any of the problems that come up as a result of it. Even having said that feel free to take IPB out of my list and just focus on the other very popular content management systems or forums and their more popular modules. :)
Okay I checked IPS site and the IPB 2.0.0 is compatiable with PHP5.

Well, you might be right. However, if I am not wrong, just a little bit of either PHP5 tweaking or the script tweaking will fix the problems.

I wish I had time to think sometimes, but I don't. ;)

IPB 2.0.0 was compatible with PHP 5, but not MySQL 5. That is what I was thinking of.

IPB just added MySQL 5 compatibility in the later releases of 2.1.x.

I agree. Many people still require PHP4 because some features of PHP5 is not compatible with PHP4 for some reason.

Is there a way to have both PHP4 and PHP5 on the same server. It sounds like a silly question but do we need seperate dedicated servers to provide both PHP4 and PHP5?

Back