• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Paid hosting advice needed

Corpse said:
Well in about a month or two I plan on getting paid hosting for antiques I sell, and to describe items that I sell on bidville. Right now I'm guessing I might need maybe 100 to 250 megabytes of space, and maybe 8 gigabytes of bandwidth. I just need to be able to throw up some images and html pages. I'm not looking for a host with a huge list of features I'll never use or need for this site.

So how much should I figure on paying for something like this, and what companies should I avoid?

You have a good question.
I dont think i can even answer it entirely but heres a couple of tips for webhosting.

1. Does the company/Website have Contact Details / "AN ADDRESS!."
2. Does the website list its company Name(ex: company pty ltd. ) & or Company ID Number.
(beware: most are not even registered companys)
3. Do they have FAQ Pages?
4. When you WHOIS there domain how long ago was it created www.dnsstuff.com
5. Does there domain list correct contact details in whois
6. Does there site look professional or just like a 3 page template?
7. Do they have TOS/AUP

Some other things you may want to avoid:

Hosts selling packages at unrealistic prices. ie. $0.25c/month
Hosts Offering anything unrealistic including UNLIMITED this and that.
Hosts that have been around less then a year. (if your concerns are stability, you want a host which has proven good uptime)

In reality you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
If something seems to good to be true it most likely is.

As for how much you should pay;
If you can afford to i would suggest anywhere between $6-$10/Month

Last edited:
if your concerns are stability, you want a host which has proven good uptime

This is an important point. Ask to see an uptime report that reflects the uptime they guarantee, don't just take their word for it. :)

ryza said:
You have a good question.
I dont think i can even answer it entirely but heres a couple of tips for webhosting.

1. Does the company/Website have Contact Details / "AN ADDRESS!."
2. Does the website list its company Name(ex: company pty ltd. ) & or Company ID Number.
(beware: most are not even registered companys)
3. Do they have FAQ Pages?
4. When you WHOIS there domain how long ago was it created www.dnsstuff.com
5. Does there domain list correct contact details in whois
6. Does there site look professional or just like a 3 page template?
7. Do they have TOS/AUP

Some other things you may want to avoid:

Hosts selling packages at unrealistic prices. ie. $0.25c/month
Hosts Offering anything unrealistic including UNLIMITED this and that.
Hosts that have been around less then a year. (if your concerns are stability, you want a host which has proven good uptime)

In reality you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
If something seems to good to be true it most likely is.

As for how much you should pay;
If you can afford to i would suggest anywhere between $6-$10/Month

Selling hosting for $0.25/month is possible ;) we also have those kind of plan's , called "nevalite" .. altrough the quality is not the same like our pro hosting..(no 24/24h support, no phone support,less databases etc)

NevaCious said:
Selling hosting for $0.25/month is possible ;) we also have those kind of plan's , called "nevalite" .. altrough the quality is not the same like our pro hosting..(no 24/24h support, no phone support,less databases etc)

How do you take payments then ? Yearly ?

If you do monthly, Wouldn't PayPal & 2CO eat the whole amount as commisions ?

Tamranda said:
How do you take payments then ? Yearly ?

If you do monthly, Wouldn't PayPal & 2CO eat the whole amount as commisions ?

Idd these plans are only available via yearly payments or when clients pay with moneybookers.

CirclesHosting said:
I hate it when people bad mouth my hosting :(

I don't see what's wrong with my hosting!?

There is a lot of competition, to startup a company you will have to be patient... and invest in advertising etc..

I don't see what's wrong with my hosting!?

There might not be anything wrong with it, or it may be terrible. Until you have been around for a while and built up a good reputation, people aren't going to know how good or bad it is and will be unwilling to risk their hard earned money. Also, the fact you registered your domain less than a month ago probably isn't helping...

Last edited:
I'd just go with godaddy.com

As far as transferring, I think the rule is a 90/60 rule. 90 being you cant transfer to another host until 90 days after registration, 60 being 60 days before expiration of the domain. That gives a good 200 days a year to conduct business.

Last edited:
Again read the rules - it may be an old thread - so your not paying attention!

Mitto - refer to the above.

Back