• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Opinions wanted about remotely hosted forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ezboard sux, if you wanna pay 4 it I guess it's ok, but the free (add supported) boards are crap, they take 4ever 2 load & run really slow when the network has alot of users!!

Xsorbit I use to use with 2 of my sites, it's a good board, but it has some issues (or it did when I used them) & the FREE board has become laden with popups (they were always there, but have grown in numbers over the years), but it's an easy board to operate, so it's worth a look I guess (just keep in mind it's been awhile since I used them & they might have changed since then)!!

I can't help you with the rest as I will be hosting my own in the near future!! :p

DK3 - stay away from it!!! :devious2:

I had a forum there and it started OK, but when I got members and the traffic started, they offered me as 'courtesy' the 'chance' to upgrade to a paid version. I said no thanks, and they started to put in a 'few' pop-ups.
Also when I needed help with uploading and modifying the site, their support forum was down right from the start and never came online while I was there. And they never replied to my e-mails which I started with a polite tone of voice. Screw DK3!

Recently I started a forum on Upperboard, it looked too, but their support forum - well I wouldn't call it that :( And just when I had gotten things running, passed on the URL, the whole Upperboard server went down! Has been a week now and I've decided to move elsewhere. Would have been nice if they had even sent a note saying what has happened... :( Not that I'm upset or anything...:rolleyes:

Started InvisionFree yesterday, looks good - thanks for the URL Bjungan :)

I currently operate an InvisionFree one.

The service is great, the actual forum software is great.

ANd only a small banner ad which more often than not has something to do with your forum.

Only problem is is that you cannot add your own modifications and skinning can be difficult, but there is hundreds of skins at some sites for it.

www.invisionfree.com/forums/ASRL/

Last edited:
Friend who had a board on DK3... has suffered a big loss..
His site no longer worked one day, and no matter how much he's tired DK3 doesn't answer his e-mails...:(
I tried to warn him, and he was going to move out, but obviously he was a bit too late *sigh*
Yeah - that host pretty much SUCKS!!!:mad:

Also Upperboard, which I tried, has finally come back online, and their support forum just says 'old forums have been deleted, start a new one'!!! :confused: Nice - they finally let people know SOMETHING, but not giving any reasons or explanations.... :angry2:

Last edited:
i had a dk3 board and a dk3 portal about a year ago. my site did so well they gave me a paid account and moderator on their forum. i guess they dont like peoples' sites where the visitors dont click the ads.

Ezboard
I tried it and thought it sucked. Slow not very easy to access. At least not on my comp.

InvisionFree
They're ok but I don't like the 8mb file limit. It means you can only upload eight mega bytes of files. I'd go with BBfree

ProBoards
My first forum. They suck! Now they have subboards which mean that they are getting better but it doesn't have the features that BBfree.com offers you. The layout of the board sux although the support wasn't too bad...

By the way, if anybody wondered what I chose I have now the possibility to use Phpbb2.
And Ezboard sucks bigtime.

erm, bbfree is down at the moment, but i would have to say EXO.

even though you got a forum i still stress EXO.

EzBoards are too slow, proboards arent too bad tho, or atleast I had a decent experience with them. I must say that atleast they are more reliable than most of these new remotely hosted forum sites popping up everywhere. You turn around and they go down.

And why does bbfree.com have a vbulletin favicon and suppot forums when they offer invision boards?

because they bought a liscense and hosted it on their own servers. they used to host vBulletin and phpBB you know.

mean girls said:
jeez, don't dig up OLD threads just to advertise your anti xsorbit site

Can "Pacman" help it if he wasn't around for the original conversation? :biggrin2:
Maybe his pointers might help someone out who still wonders about the same thing...

If you are the "mean girls" I once knew, how are ya, cutie ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back