• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

OK not totally unlimited

You get what you pay for?

danethicalhost said:
Sorry. I don't understand that statement. Can you clarify it a little more crearer please, like a good person that you seem to be. ;)

"You get what you pay for" is a fear tactic. If it were true, hard drive per MB prices would keep going up. Instead they are going down. And quality is going up at the same time. Lower price does not necessarily mean lower quality. If you say "You get what you pay for" it means you don't understand the competitive marketplace. You are doomed to failure. Instead you should concentrate on explaining your competitive edge. Tell me how you will solve my problems at a price lower than your competition.

unlimited said:
"You get what you pay for" is a fear tactic. If it were true, hard drive per MB prices would keep going up. Instead they are going down. And quality is going up at the same time. Lower price does not necessarily mean lower quality. If you say "You get what you pay for" it means you don't understand the competitive marketplace. You are doomed to failure. Instead you should concentrate on explaining your competitive edge. Tell me how you will solve my problems at a price lower than your competition.

Check our prices and you will understand why our support etc is excellent.
Regarding, the "fear tactic", it's actually reality. Any reliable host provider here will tell you that. Paying minimal amount of money for large amounts of hosting will leave the provider stuck, more than likely, when it comes to paying the bills.

Regarding, the "fear tactic", it's actually reality. Any reliable host provider here will tell you that. Paying minimal amount of money for large amounts of hosting will leave the provider stuck, more than likely, when it comes to paying the bills.
danethicalhost is 100% correct. While there are exceptions, you will find the majority of cheap hosts are not of the same standard as more expensive hosts. The reason hosts request a budget is to get an idea of whether they can make you an offer. For example, there is no point in us offering hosting to someone who won't pay more than $2 per month in monthly payments because it simple not worth the effort or trying to compete with hosts that won't be there in six months time. :)

when a host has nothing special to compete with all that is left to do is chop the price.

Yes disk space and bandwidth pricing has decreased significantly over the years but these are no where near the only cost of doing business and determining what a plan should cost.

Lets put it this way: you have a host offering 100mb space and 5gb bandwidth for $1/mo......seems fair, after all they do have 4x 500gb drives. factor in 2.9% for processing and about .50c transaction fee for credit cards and you are left with .47c/mo income

IF the host has a 24 hour outsourced ticket department they are likely charged an average of $2.50 per support ticket placed. If you submit one ticket per month the host is losing $2.03/mo on your account.

From what I have found is that each account places an average of one ticket per month, it doesnt have to be anything major just a small question, but it still costs the same with outsourced support.

Or if they do not have outsourced support at all then you are left with 9-5 support, if thats fine with you then so be it. But factor in a decent dedicated server machine with all that is needed to facilite a hosting service and you got about $300/mo into this. They would need 638 customers to break even, which is more than most machines can reliably handle

In short, no RELIABLE host or business will host you for nickels. After all, companies that plan to stay in business for any period of time and take your business and hard earned money seriously will HAVE to turn a profit, smiles and giggles do not pay the bills.

Still no sign of life

Well this thread is getting longer than a prospective host would read so I will probably post on another board, however....

I am surprised no service provider out there gets it.

You talk about plans. I don't want a "plan". I actually am willing to pay a reasonable price for any amount of resource I ACTUALLY USE. I do not want to rent an oversized "plan" that has all sorts of things I will NOT use. I am not looking for "unlimited" subdomains/databases for free. I can actually re-engineer my service to use just one subdomain/database for all customers but I KNOW that subdomain/database cost BY ITSELF is low. You tell me what an unused (zero K) subdomain or an unused (zero K) database costs you. Next to nothing. And that is about what I am willing to pay for it. I WILL pay a reasonable price for space and bandwidth. I hope eventually to use a lot. Right now I do not need that much and don't want to pay for more than I use.

My real problem is the greed of most larger hosts. They live off overselling their customers, that is, getting customers to buy more than they use. That is where their profit margins are. Let's face it, hosting is a commodity market. Eventually almost everybody will be shaken out. I am looking for a host that understands the future and has stopped whining. Right now most smaller hosts are living off the greed of larger hosts. When the prices come down you will be squeezed out. Do you really think you can compete in a commodity market with the likes of Hostway, 1&1, etc.? Please! Right now all the big hosts are PRAYING no one will introduce a commodity pricing policy. Whoever does offer it is going to be doing everybody a big favor and make a lot of money. So charge for each customer service call! THAT'S commodity pricing.

And if YOU want to prey on the fear of cheaper hosts going under, then don't make me an offer without including a guarantee that YOU will be around in a year(full money back?). It's easy to say the cheaper host will go under. It's harder to prove you will be around.

Last edited:
Be around in a year or full money back? LMAO.
Best of luck mate. No host will do that. Big, small, cheap or expensive, around for 20 years or 20 minutes. No host will provide a one year money back. :D

Advantage?

If no one offers a guarantee in this area then no one has a competitive advantage in this area. SO STOP TALKING ABOUT IT! All I've heard from you guys is that the cheaper hosts won't be around. Geeeeez.

unlimited said:
If no one offers a guarantee in this area then no one has a competitive advantage in this area. SO STOP TALKING ABOUT IT! All I've heard from you guys is that the cheaper hosts won't be around. Geeeeez.

We only speak the truth. If you want to go with a cheap unreliable unstable host that may take 3 or 4 days to answer a support request, go right ahead. No sweat from me. All we were trying to do is point you in the right direction.
It's obvious from your previous posts that you know nothing about the hosting industry.

Survival as ultimate knowledge test

Well thank you for pointing me in the right direction. From what you have said, I should go with a reliable industry leader instead of one of you little guys. You have cut your own throat. I guess that means you must be an expert in the hosting area. Good luck.

unlimited said:
Well thank you for pointing me in the right direction. From what you have said, I should go with a reliable industry leader instead of one of you little guys. You have cut your own throat. I guess that means you must be an expert in the hosting area. Good luck.

If you want to be client number 10000000000 on a overcrouded host, your choice. For what I've read, you have no idea about what web hosting is :wave:

I already have a free three year account with 1and1.com

They are junk. Their secure connections are terrible. And I need more flexibility.

and most of these market leaders are all the same. Another reason why hosts do things the way they do with overselling is because it is normally an administrative nightmare to keep charging based on resources so its easier to sell a lump of space rather than 20mb here and there. Most billing systems are not designed to handle these on the fly changes without host intervention. Multiply that over several hundred accounts and it becomes a headache

Also any reasonable host has a money back guarantee, if they do not then of course that is a good reason to look somewhere else

More insults?

I don't know how you decide if someone knows anything about hosting. I have had sites hosted for over 10 years. This is longer than most of you have been in business. I've been with big guys like Hostway and small fries. I have had sites at ICDSoft for three years but they don't offer reasonable subdomain/database prices. Most big guys are very inflexible like 1and1.com. I am hoping for a new breed but haven't seen it yet. Good luck.

unlimited said:

hahaha :D

Administrative nightmares are solved by software. No one has demanded or written the right software yet it seems. Just multiply the resource size by time used and by cost. Complicated?

Last edited:
yes but then that still brings us to resource pricing. if someone charges .50c per 100mb and thats all you need then there is not enough profit to be reliable. it makes sense

AvailNetworks said:
yes but then that still brings us to resource pricing. if someone charges .50c per 100mb and thats all you need then there is not enough profit to be reliable. it makes sense

Exactly.
The point everyone is trying to make here is simple. If a web host provider is charging low prices for their plans, chances greater for them to be out of business before the year is up. And where would your "one year money back guarantee" be? Spent is my guess.
If you want reliability, stability and good honest support, pay for it.

I'll let you guys continue the debate (which, like others in the past, will never go anywhere). To be a bit more productive:

actually am willing to pay a reasonable price for any amount of resource I ACTUALLY USE. I do not want to rent an oversized "plan" that has all sorts of things I will NOT use.
How much total space and bandwidth do you need?

Back