• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

New FWP

drunkmule

I'm planing on starting a small FWP. These are the features:

250mb's of Space
Unlimited Bandwidth
Browser uploads(ftp later on)
Pre-installed Formmail
Stats
Fast connections
CGI
SSI

And the main thing that I want to get going is by putting banner ads on the bottom of pages. Then once the user's hits increase put a smaller banner on their site, etc, etc, then after they receive a certain amount of hits, they can pay $5 a month the get the banners removed(along with other features)

What do you think?

Reply to Sphosting.com,

I plan to use a simple free program at first. Then once there is profit made, I will buy a program, or maybe even have one specially made. If you can suggest one that is either free or less than $100, for me to start with, I would appriciate that.

Reply to Technics,

Actually I do not plan to actually give out unlimited bandwidth. I don't beleive that anyone is going to use up anmyore than 2gbs of bandwidth in a month. So I heardly see that as a mistake.

Originally posted by drunkmule
Reply to Sphosting.com,

I plan to use a simple free program at first. Then once there is profit made, I will buy a program, or maybe even have one specially made. If you can suggest one that is either free or less than $100, for me to start with, I would appriciate that.

Reply to Technics,

Actually I do not plan to actually give out unlimited bandwidth. I don't beleive that anyone is going to use up anmyore than 2gbs of bandwidth in a month. So I heardly see that as a mistake.

What if they do use more than that?

Reply to Sphosting.com,

If you think no one will use up more than that then you are wrong.

I can prove it. Just let me sign up. :)

> Actually I do not plan to actually
> give out unlimited bandwidth. I don't
> beleive that anyone is going to use up
> anmyore than 2gbs of bandwidth in a month.
> So I heardly see that as a mistake.

Then please say you offer 2gbs of traffick/month. What's the problem on this?

Also what I would like to see is some kind of an about page informing who you are and what you are after. I would never sign to a host not telling who they are (unless they are big and wellknown of course).

Where's the server located?

What If someone decides to host video on your servers. What if they use 500GB of bandwidth per mo?

ur going to start a fwp yet your also looking for a host with unlimited space and bandwidth sounds dodgy to me.

I was researching some different services out there to see if my idea was already in use. I'm purchasing a dedicated server. I don't what program I'm going to use for it, but I will look into everything. My goal is too provide free web hosting for sites of all topics. There will be different plans so the higher traffic sites get smaller banners and extras. I will also give the option to just buy bannerless hosting. I know that if I don't require users to have banners when they first start, free hosting will not last. I don't plan to get this started anywhere within the next three months. If you guys have anymore q's please reply.

[Edited by drunkmule on 11-10-2000 at 05:18 PM]

Wrong about what, I've never heard that anyone who has used over 2gb's of bandwidth. Unless they are hosting a warez site, which will not be allowed. If there is a problem with bandwidth I'll contact them and discuss the problem. If I find that they have abused the rules they I will give them a day or so to delete the illegal files and if they don't I will delete their account. I don't plan to be a geocities over night. I want to stay small. After there is profit, I will start to employ a cgi programmer and an adviser/asst. webmaster part-time. Then if needed I will employ them full time. Right now I'm just desinging the site, and getting funds together.

None of my sites are illegal.

If you said you are going to provide "unlimited" bandwidth, why would you contact me when I would reach 2gigs?

Before Technics said "You just made mistake number 1 - Unlimited Bandwidth. And thats before you even start out." So, I picked a number 2gb. I could care less if you go over 2gb. But if your site is slowing the entire server down, I will contact you and work out a solution. What's your website(s), and let me decide if your site will generate over 2gigs. Usually ppl complain that someone is asking for unlimited webspace. That I cannot provide. But I know that I can provide unlimited bandwidth on a dedicated server.

If you are so concerned about bandwidth just buy your own hosting.

not to fight but...

Yet again, you have NOT answered my question.

If you cannot provide what you promise, why do you state so?

I am trying to make everyone happy. One guy says that I've made a mistake by providing unlimited bandwidth, then you are giving me crap about it. I bet you are the same person. Well if you really want to know Unlimited bandwidth means that you will not be contacted about the status of your site unless there is a problem with server that is effecting the entire community, including member pages. Problems like this should not occur on a dedicated server. Are you happy? Unlimited for my service means to the extent of our resources. I will not resopond to any of your replys because obviously you are just wasting my time. If anyone else has any questions please reply.

Usually ppl complain that someone is asking for unlimited webspace. That I cannot provide. But I know that I can provide unlimited bandwidth on a dedicated server.

You cannot provide unlimited bandwidth just because you have a dedicated server. You need to look into this more before you start posting what you offer.

I question if you've even looked at how much 50 gigs of bandwidth will cost you? I don't think you fully understand how it all works, and how bandwidth can relate to server performance. You've never seen a site that usues over 2 gigs/month? I'm not talking about warez sites, and yes, the average will be under 2 gigs (even around 500 MB), but averages are one thing. You better have a plan for the site that uses 30 gigs and isn't breaking the rules.

You need solid servers to run a FWP, forget about the cheapie $100-$200 specials out there, they won't cut it. You'll be down more than up if you go this route. Also check out how much the line is going to cost you.

I say this because I don't think you've fully thought this out, nor researched things. I want to see you prosper so you can come back here and help others, and to help you avoid making costly mistakes.

If you are saving and planning to spend over $1,000/mo for this project then I am wrong and you have done your homework. If you've practiced by installing linux on your spare pc at home, then you are doing fine. If you are planning on hosting only a few people then again, you don't want to run a full scale FWP, but rather more of a small charity service with banners. That is fine also.

There is a difference.

I was actually looking at the servers that you're talking about. I found some great prices for servers, around 500 to 1000. I've been researching this idea for about 5 months now, after having trouble with past hosts. I do not plan to be geocites over night. I want to provide something that no other free web host provider cannot. Once you sign up with my service, and your site is off the ground and running the user will get a full banner at the bottom of their site. If your site recieves say, 5000 hits one month you will recieve a smaller banner or you can place a full banner anywhere on your pages. This will go on unitl the user is gatting around 300,000 or more hits, and is placing a 88x31 banner anywhere on their site. After that I will give them the option of paying a certain amount to get rid of the banners. I also plan to reward the higher trafficed sites with a link of the week on the first page of community site. Anyother questions, comments or ideas?

Back