• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Netscape vs Explorer

Originally posted by Chicken
So IE loads slower for you than Netscape? Didn't think so :)

Actually, it does. It takes it forever to start connecting to the homepage which is why I am forced to keep the home page on my hard drive. It also crashes all the time. The only reason I use it is because I had to use it before I downloaded NetScape; therefore, it has all my cookies already stored.

If there was only a small automatic upgrade pack for NS4 that added some CSS functions :p.

Originally posted by Nick
If there was only a small automatic upgrade pack for NS4 that added some CSS functions :p.

Yep, it's been given the secret codename Netscape 6, all bow to it's supreme glory! ;)

Originally posted by LeX
I once was a faithful NS user. I removed all links to IE from my computer. I refused to use IE (AND MSWord, MSthis, MSthat...) I hate Micro$oft!!!

I like Microsoft a hell of a lot better than AOL (Netscape's owner, in case you don't know). And they just got bigger over the weekend too.

How can anyone possibly like Micro$oft?!!?

Er, okay.... so maybe there IS something wrong with my computer, but NS takes like 10 seconds to finish loading all the Preferences, Bookmarks, whatever. Actually, IE isn't better off... takes 7~9 seconds. Well, it took 5 seconds for the actual window to pop up, but I had to wait a bit longer to be able to do anything with it.

My comp's specs: http://freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1275&pagenumber=3

Originally posted by LeX
...but NS takes like 10 seconds to finish loading all the Preferences, Bookmarks, ...

That must be it. All of you guys use Bookmarks. I deleted all of my IE/NS ones because I simply don't use them.

My coin to the thread...

I only say one thing; Webdesign vs Browser...
Write proper html-code/CSS.
Then open the page in Opera, NS[i use 4.7] and IE [ i use 5.5] then look at the differences...Not many, huh?

NS; Pretty strict about misplaced tags, doesn't like multi-choice css, but pretty fast.

IE; Doesn't care about faulty html [almost],also pretty fast.

Opera; Well, not much to say. Overall good.

It took me about 20 minutes to make my website look about the same in all three browsers, with only som tweaking in the .css file.

Every browser has their own good's and flaws.

That's my coin to the discussion.

Netscape 6 sucks. It is based off of a beta version of mozilla. Personally, I think that this will tarnish the reputation of the netscape browser beyond means seen ever before. It also takes forever to load on any computer.

So so sad.....

I love Micro$oft. I use all their products. I absolutely love they way DirectX 7 is so buggy and they way Frontpage writes over my code. I also love how MS Word likes to just stop working all of a sudden.
Seriously, Microsoft needs to stop putting out such buggy software. I love IE 5.5, but old Billy Gates needs to get his act together.

I have probably wasted a month of my life waiting for netscape to make up its mind on whether it wants to connect to its own server. I don't know how many times I would connect to the internet and have that damn browser time after time not able to connect to its own website while I open up IE and it comes up easy. I don't even use netscape to test my own sites because that would still be too hidious of an experience. I use Opera 4.0 for that purpose. If it works on Opera 4.0 then It should work on everything. I think everyone should give Opera 5.0 a try. It loads fast. It is small. You can scale the webpage so if you have low resolution you can zoom out if someone designed the site for a higher resolution. It has the best download interface of any browser. It intergrates with ICQ. Has support with newsgroups, and ftp sites. It is also stable. New version is free with banner ads but you could just download the shareware and crack it. Opera's only downside is that it is a little buggy with scripting languages. Opera will catch up with that though.

I use a few platforms: Solaris, Linux, Mac, and Windows. I actively use all of them.

Let's check IEs record:

Solaris: IE 4.5
Linux : not available (suprise suprise...)
Mac: IE 5
Windows: IE 5.5,6

Netscape's record

Solaris: 6
Linux: 6
Mac: 6
Windows: 6

Opera's record:

Solaris: -
Linux: 5.x
Mac: 5.x
Windows: 5.x

The only one I can use all on all platforms is Netscape. I generally use Netscape 4.76 on all of them (except for N6 on my linux machine).

Granted, I've been using IE more and more on my Mac and in Windows. It's just more pleasant to browse with some of the time because CSS in N4.76 is pretty poor and text shows up tiny.

-mk

Re: my thoughts...

Originally posted by ianpri
but you never hear anyone say about AOL compatibility

The AOL browser is basically MSIE with a 'more user friendly' GUI from at least version 5, so compatability is no longer an issue.

However sites often display mysterious JS errors with AOL that don't appear when using IE.

the best

IE is the best i think because if wanna view a site in netscape i get many time Site Not Found and wenn i try with IE i get the site with no problem.

so IE 4 ever

;) IE supports more and it is more flexible when developing webpages.

Netscape is not so flexible... if you forget a period or don't have something exactly the way it should be it bombs your webpage.

Anyone disaggree?:confused:

Okay all you Microsoft haters, listen up!

Why the hell are you dissing them up? Think about it for a second. Is there any reason you have other than the fact that they're a big company with lots of money? If that's your reason to hate a company, then can I feel free to stab you to death if you become a multi millionaire business owner?

Admit it, Microsoft makes some pretty good stuff. And Internet Explorer is one of their best brainchilds. Netscape is horrible compared to IE. Did you know that NSN doesn't even support background colors for tables? Did you know that NSN 4.x doesn't support CSS? Did you know that NSN is owned by AOL???

Now I'm not dissing AOL's company size, I have other reasons. For example, their software is extremely overbulked, but you NEED to install it to use AOL! With other Dialup ISPs, you just make a new connection in Dial Up Networking, enter in a username and password, and you've got the internet. Also, the people in the chat rooms consist of white trash 14 year old sluts with names like "Candy SeXXXy 69", pedophiles/stalkers, idiots, narcs, people who overuse the abbreviation "A/S/L", and people with more numbers than letters in their numerated usernames because the username "Bob" was already taken. That's why I hate AOL.

Getting back on topic, let me tell you about NSN 6. It's basically NSN 4.x with CSS support added, skin support added, and blinking text support removed. The skins look stupid, and if you want some stupid skins that lag your surfing even further, just use NeoPlanet (which borrows most of it's features from your installed version of Internet Explorer)

Yes, I understand Microsoft messed up in terms of security holes and OS exploits (which they try to make up for with service packs), but the topic of this thread is "Netscape vs Explorer", not "Windows vs Linux".

When will you Netscape lovers learn?

- Dry Ice CO2

Originally posted by Homeygwiz
;) IE supports more and it is more flexible when developing webpages.

Netscape is not so flexible... if you forget a period or don't have something exactly the way it should be it bombs your webpage.

Anyone disaggree?:confused:

So basically IE lets you write malformed code and it works... I don't think that's a good thing. IE ads an end table tag if you miss it. Therefore, on Netscape and others you table won't show at all. It's just not a good situation -- IE is only making it worse when people develop with it.

Why should it allow you to be sloppy?

-mk

Re: the best

Originally posted by ultimate
IE is the best i think because if wanna view a site in netscape i get many time Site Not Found and wenn i try with IE i get the site with no problem.

so IE 4 ever

Usually this occurs when a webmaster, no doubt developing with IE, includes a CSS file that doesn't exist.

This really annoys me... 1. People shouldn't have call CSS when the file doesn't exist. 2. Netscape should let me see the page anyway

-mk

Originally posted by Dry Ice CO2
Okay all you Microsoft haters, listen up!

I'm not a Microsoft hater, but I'll read on

Why the hell are you dissing them up? Think about it for a second. Is there any reason you have other than the fact that they're a big company with lots of money? If that's your reason to hate a company, then can I feel free to stab you to death if you become a multi millionaire business owner?

Look above at some of my arguments. It's not a good thing when a web browser allows people to get sloppy with their code.

Frankly I don't care that it's a Microsoft product. IE is only so fast on your Windows machine because it's built into your operating system. Give the other products a chance: Opera looks like a nice product, and on the linux platform Konqueror is turning out to be an amazing web browser.

Admit it, Microsoft makes some pretty good stuff. And Internet Explorer is one of their best brainchilds.

Microsoft does make some nice products. I personally like using Word, Excel, and IE isn't a terrible product. I wouldn't say that it's a brainchild of theirs. They didn't have anything to do with the development of the basic features of a web browser.

Netscape is horrible compared to IE. Did you know that NSN doesn't even support background colors for tables?

Netscape does support background colors for tables. It just doesn't render the cell if the cell doesn't have any content.

Did you know that NSN 4.x doesn't support CSS? Did you know that NSN is owned by AOL???

Netscape 4.x does support CSS, just not very well. Yep, I do know Netscape is owned by AOL. They have allowed Netscape to remain their own separate entity though.

Now I'm not dissing AOL's company size, I have other reasons. For example, their software is extremely overbulked, but you NEED to install it to use AOL! With other Dialup ISPs, you just make a new connection in Dial Up Networking, enter in a username and password, and you've got the internet. Also, the people in the chat rooms consist of white trash 14 year old sluts with names like "Candy SeXXXy 69", pedophiles/stalkers, idiots, narcs, people who overuse the abbreviation "A/S/L", and people with more numbers than letters in their numerated usernames because the username "Bob" was already taken. That's why I hate AOL.

Ahh.. I see you have issues with AOLs dialup services. :) I'm not going to defend them either -- I don't like their dialup either. Did you know ICQ is owned by AOL? I don't really notice them doing anything to that company. It's all separate.

Getting back on topic, let me tell you about NSN 6. It's basically NSN 4.x with CSS support added, skin support added, and blinking text support removed. The skins look stupid, and if you want some stupid skins that lag your surfing even further, just use NeoPlanet (which borrows most of it's features from your installed version of Internet Explorer)

N6 is just N4.x with a few alterations? I'm sure the Mozilla people would disagree. N6 uses a totally different rendering engine (Gecko engine) and is a totally different browser.

Go check out http://www.mozilla.org

Yes, I understand Microsoft messed up in terms of security holes and OS exploits (which they try to make up for with service packs), but the topic of this thread is "Netscape vs Explorer", not "Windows vs Linux".

I wasn't going to mention it, but you're right : Microsoft is pretty bad with security in their software :)

-mk

Back