• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Netscape vs Explorer

IE by far. Unless your designing web pages and want to know what they look like in NS, I suggest not even having it on your computer.

my thoughts...

I'm sure this has already been mentioned in another thread, but as i'm new to this forum, i'll raise it anyway.

Do you think the time should come soon when people should stop developing for netscape? from these stats below take from two different sources it looks like NS is losing the battle big time:

çà ïåðèîä ñðåäíèé

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.xx 64.15
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.xx 14.
Netscape Navigator 4.xx 8.097
Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.xx 0.797
Opera 4.xx 0.311
Netscape Navigator 3.xx 0.147
Opera 3.xx 0.105

Browser Family
IE 5.x 70.1%
Netscape 4.5+ 12.8%
IE 4.x 8.6%
AOL 5.4%
Netscape 4.0x 1.9%
Other 1.2%

surely it would be more important and make more business sense to start drawing the line somewhere. everyone talks about sites saying 'are the NS compatible', but you never hear anyone say about AOL compatibility, or even new stuff like idtv,webtv etc, which all by the way don't support CSS. You don't see motorways slamming a 20mph speed limit because some older cars aren't up to it? surely that would make people want to upgrade more if they knew that they could look at more sites i fthey upgraded. software development does that all the time, isn't it time browsers done this?

IE5 and NS6 both support XHTML 1.0 and CSS2 very well... I think once more people have NS6 than 4.x things will start to change...

I would have to go with IE. I think any intelligent person would agree. The one major thing I hate about NS is that it doesn't support iframes. Now what kind of browser is that?

I downloaded NS 6 to see how my site looked in it, and it looked the exact same as IE 5.5 . This surprised me as all the other sites I have made in the past and tried viewing with NS 4.72(or something), looked quite a bit different. It did seem that NS 6 was slower though, so I use IE.

Originally posted by Phrozen
I would have to go with IE. I think any intelligent person would agree. The one major thing I hate about NS is that it doesn't support iframes. Now what kind of browser is that?

The kind geared toward non-newbies who don't use iframes :confused:

Originally posted by Phrozen
So you're trying to say that "non-newbies" don't use iframes? I think not...

An iFrame is completely useless piece of shit idea from Micro$oft. Just a ASP/SSI/PHP include work around. There's no point. If your host doesn't support include commands get a template based html editor. iFrame = no significant purpose.

"Just a ASP/SSI/PHP include work around. "

I think thats a bit misleading. Includes can only be altered by page refreshing but iframes can change their contents dynamically/with a mouseclclick without having to load the whole page its contained in. for certain graphical heavy pages iframes are a bonus not a hinderence.

Originally posted by ianpri
for certain graphical heavy pages iframes are a bonus not a hinderence.

Cache all the images with a JavaScript and then when you click on a page, the images are cached so all that has to load is the actual content. So they're still useless in my book.

Thankyou Nick! At least someone is sticking up for Netscape! Every wondered about some truth in Netscape before you completley destroy them?

While your busy singing the praises of Internet Explorer on Windows your forgetting about the delay in putting it on the Mac.

While your living in your complete and utter garbage Windows operating system you're forgetting about how Microsoft forgot to disclose information about DialUpNetwprk connections in Windows, how Netscape was delayed... how they lost their market share.

While you're wondering how slow Netscape is... remember it's not part of Windows... it's not the core files like some other browsers!

Netscape have been fighting a dying battle open sourcing and creating similtanious releases on all major platfors (Windows, Mac and Linux). At least it deserves some respect.

As I see it, you've hit upon the major difference. While I do prefer IE, I also run Windows and imagine that most Windows users prefer IE. I can see unix users prefering NS.

Really, so long as it doesn't take 3 years to open up and drain resources, I couldn't care less.

Originally posted by }:8) Supermoo
Thankyou Nick! At least someone is sticking up for Netscape! Every wondered about some truth in Netscape before you completley destroy them?

While your busy singing the praises of Internet Explorer on Windows your forgetting about the delay in putting it on the Mac.

While your living in your complete and utter garbage Windows operating system you're forgetting about how Microsoft forgot to disclose information about DialUpNetwprk connections in Windows, how Netscape was delayed... how they lost their market share.

While you're wondering how slow Netscape is... remember it's not part of Windows... it's not the core files like some other browsers!

Netscape have been fighting a dying battle open sourcing and creating similtanious releases on all major platfors (Windows, Mac and Linux). At least it deserves some respect.

Damn strait.

I once was a faithful NS user. I removed all links to IE from my computer. I refused to use IE (AND MSWord, MSthis, MSthat...) I hate Micro$oft!!!

Not now, though. NS crashes too often, and takes a while to load. It also has less features than IE. But I changed for only because a friend told me to stop using NS, with good reasons. He said that the NS4.7's sucked, and told me that if I really want to use NS, then go with Navigator 4.07 or 4.08, which is simpler, loads faster, and doesn't crash as often.

I'm using IE5.5 as my default browser now, and made NS my secondary, and use Opera to download files (I liked their Download window) and quick browsing. I don't dare try NS6, heard too many rumors about it.. but if NS ever publishes a new browser, I'm willing to try it, and switch back if NS has made improvements.

Originally posted by LeX
Not now, though. NS crashes too often, and takes a while to load.

You guys' computers suck! Something has got to be wrong with them. Netscape has NEVER crashed on my system, nor does it take long to load.

Back