• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need a Good Upload Script

aggiedude

Hey everyone! Have not been on here in a while, but I figured this would be the best place to cry out for help - I am exhausted from searching!

What I need:
I want an upload script to be used for a small office, something simple that I can load on my hosting account that would handle simply attachments that are too big for email. There are just two features I really need in this: link expiration and user accounts/password to restrict just anyone from uploading. One feature that would be a nice plus would be hotlink protection, however, it is not required.

Example:
A company that a client of mine works for uses a script that does EXACTLY what I want, however, I have yet to find out what it is and if it is free or not. You can see what it looks like at http://file.innovationfirst.com/. You can see how it has simply a upload box, expiration question, and a password box. Once you fill in all those fields it will upload and then generate a link for the person to send.

As you can see I am not looking to start my own file sharing website or anything like that, I just want to be able to have people in a small office easily be able to send a 10MB or 20MB file to a client.

Thanks for any suggestions and or help with this. I would like to try as much as possible to make this a free script, however, cheap paid alternatives will be helpful too! :biggrin2:

Why not just give them FTP Accounts on the server?

I agree with dan, when you say "small office" and "share" ftp or even simple file sharing comes to mind. The fancy stuff is sure to impress, but good 'ol fashion ftp will do the trick.

I agree with dan, when you say "small office" and "share" ftp or even simple file sharing comes to mind. The fancy stuff is sure to impress, but good 'ol fashion ftp will do the trick.

I would totally be up for FTP, however, I would have to instruct each person how to use the FTP client, and how to send it out, etc, etc. The small office I speak of is one where tech know-how is at a mininmum, so a solution with a pretty front end would be the easiest option.

Create a form. Easy enough to do, that allows them to Login to FTP.

So the form would have

Username: joeblogg@ftp.yourdomain.com
Password: **************

When they login, they are brought to their own directory or whatever, where they can use the cPanel Upload features.
It would be more secure as well.

I could be wrong though but I can't see why this wouldn't work.

I will see later if I can figure it out.

I appreciate all of the responses regarding FTP, however, that is not what I am looking for. I need a link to be generated and expire at a certain amount of time. It will be too complicated even to explain how to create a download link to some people in this office.

Also this is supposed to be used to send files to clients. We already have file sharing in place locally.

Thanks again for everyone's responses, if anyone has any more suggestions on where to find such a script I would greatly appreciate it!

I just am looking for a simple upload script. I am about to purchase one I have found, but sure would love to

You could probably just use most of the upload script out there. Then look into the mysql database, use a custom cron to check the upload dates and delete the files when expired. It may be a little tricky with variable expiry date, but should be manageable.

Back