• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

NameSlinger.com? Ever been used?

Cyber

[...]
NLC
has anyone ever tried nameslinger.com? you can get any domain you want with any extension. weird huh?

i got free.forever

you could get mybutt.iscool

great for fowarding, i think

Hey, I've used NameSlinger and they're pretty good! Their response time on their bulletin board is usually really fast, and it only takes about half a day for your domain to be activated. I suggest you check them out.

Originally posted by 4g3n7
Hey, I've used NameSlinger and they're pretty good! Their response time on their bulletin board is usually really fast, and it only takes about half a day for your domain to be activated. I suggest you check them out.

nice referral link..:bandit2:

Admin Edit: Was in regards to a posted referral link which was removed.

Anyone know how long this company has been in business? I'm going to read through some of the things on their message forum and try to learn a little more about this concept. I've already referred a few people and registered some for myself (all free, thanks to the first free and the referral program) and I figure that will give the idea another year to catch on. If people start using it, those of us that jumped on the bandwagon early will get the 'good' names and if no one cares a year from now, I let the names go.

Anastasia

Just note that you'll get the 'good' names for people who download the plugin. I could set up the same extensions on another server, with a different plugin, and you'd see my version of whatever site it was, not theirs (if you had my plugin).

This will only be big if everyone downloads the same plugin, or the ISPs choose to recognize it, which is rather doubtful overall.

If I'm wrong of course, you've just gotten yourself a good name...

I'm definitely aware of the plugin feature. This is why I asked about the company, to get a better feel if there is a chance this will take off. The plugin took about 3 seconds to download, and it's kind of cool to type in my.name and have my website appear. No http, www, .com, net or any other extension. Simply two words with a period between them. Works great for names. I've already reserved the name for a musician friend of mine, who had to settle on a different 'standard' domain for her official website, since her name was already taken before she got around to having her own site.

Right now it's purely for fun, and I don't really expect it to catch on and become the commonplace. But if enough people took to the system, it could be worthwhile to have. You could just say 'and if you use NameSlinger, the address is my.site - and that's so much easier to remember!

On a bad note, they just posted on their message forum that they are raising their prices. Right now paid names are $5.99/year (and the price was one reason I thought I'd give it a shot) but after the 20th of this month it's going to increase to $15.00/mo. I can almost get two regular domains for that.

Oh well, nothing is perfect. And you do get what you pay for.

Back