• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

movie hosting on server

lol it is bad enough that I am worse than a newbie at coding, and now you want me to design an emoticon lol.

Probably easiest searching for a youtube clone George, there are a few decent ones all with server requirements you might not get on shared hosting though.

Probably easiest searching for a youtube clone George, there are a few decent ones all with server requirements you might not get on shared hosting though.

You missed copying & pasting the links!

http://clip-bucket.com and http://phpmotion.com are 2 you could look at though.

http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/...ng-on-server&p=1161591&viewfull=1#post1161591

Last edited:

Don't think you read the entire thread?

I found a good working one. Problem is, it doesnt work with shared hosting.

I found a good working one. Problem is, it doesnt work with shared hosting.

It's not that it won't work on shared hosting, it's that most shared hosts don't allow it to work, because ffmpeg and video encoding (as used in these YouTube clone scripts) use ridiculous amounts of resources. I use a custom conversion script on one of my sites that I coded myself, and it hits the processor brutally (we have very powerful servers) the entire time it's encoding/converting a video. There is no way it would ever be suitable for shared hosting.

There are shared hosts who allow ffmpeg and in fact claim to specialize in it, but I can only guess that hundreds of accounts using ffmpeg on those servers would slow the things to a crawl.

You really do need a VPS or dedicated server if you plan on running something like that.

The alternative is to convert the videos off-server, and upload them like that. Just playing videos doesn't use any resources really aside from bandwidth. It is the conversion that hosts won't stand for. My suggestion would be to convert them to .flv files or such, and find a player that will play them through your browser. There are some free ones out there. You can create a fairly rudimentary one in Dreamweaver too, if you have it, and don't mind creating a page for each video.

Nice one Bryan :D I'd forgotten about FLV, that would be a good option, and plenty of free players so your only streaming from your hosting account not converting :)

Loads of the players allow playlists so you just need to add a URL for each movie then pick and choose.

Yep. :D JWPlayer allows for playlists, I know that. It also allows for other formats...which ones, I didn't bother looking up, but certainly flv and mp4.

WSWD,

I can't think of the name of it, but I have a program that I can convert any video file into whatever format that I want.

The only script that I can get to work is clipbucket. However, I don't know if any of the players your mentioning will work with it, or how I would install it.

You wouldn't need Clipbucket George, just convert to FLV format (might need to play with a small file to get a good quality/size) then create a playlist of files stored on your server (use some weird combination of characters for the folder name :) so no need for any passwords or scripts), just use a text editor to write it up first, then pick from your playlist on the player.

George,

Yes, you will want to use whatever conversion software you have, not Clipbucket. Depending on the file types your videos are already in, you might not have to do anything. Jwplayer supports .mp4, .m4v, .f4v, .mov, .webm, .flv, and .ogv. As long as your files are in one of those formats, you won't need to convert anything.

It's very easy to install. I haven't used the playlists in a while, so that's something you would have to look at, but the video I did above with jwplayer took literally 5 seconds to do. You upload 2 files to your website, and add a few lines of code to the HTML page, and you're done. http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/jw-flv-player/
There are a lot of free players out there that will do exactly the same thing, but I've always found jwplayer to be fairly simple and straight-forward.

George,

Yes, you will want to use whatever conversion software you have, not Clipbucket. Depending on the file types your videos are already in, you might not have to do anything. Jwplayer supports .mp4, .m4v, .f4v, .mov, .webm, .flv, and .ogv. As long as your files are in one of those formats, you won't need to convert anything.

It's very easy to install. I haven't used the playlists in a while, so that's something you would have to look at, but the video I did above with jwplayer took literally 5 seconds to do. You upload 2 files to your website, and add a few lines of code to the HTML page, and you're done. http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/jw-flv-player/
There are a lot of free players out there that will do exactly the same thing, but I've always found jwplayer to be fairly simple and straight-forward.

So, I wouldn't be able to use clipbucket at all then?

All video files right now are in .avi format.

So, they would need to be converted.

You don't 'have' to use Clipbucket, and just use whatever you have for converting and queue the lot and leave it run overnight :)

Right, as Decker said, you wouldn't use Clipbucket. You would simply convert the file locally. Of course, this means you are going to have to re-upload all the videos when you're finished converting them.

The only other option (if you want to use Clipbucket) is a VPS or dedicated, in most cases.

Okay, so forget clipbucket for now I guess.

In order to do it right now, what do I need to do?

I downloaded that player you provided a link for it.

You said, I upload 2 files (guessing the movie file) and add some lines of code. What code, and where would I add them too?

Also, is this being done for every movie that I upload or just 1 time?

The file should come with a file called "JW Player Quick Start Guide". It's a .pdf file and will give a basic idea of what you need to do. Samples of code to use are in there.

You can do 1 .html page for each video, or create a playlist. In the videos I uploaded last night, I just did an html page for each video, as I only uploaded 2 of them, and wanted something quick and easy. I didn't bother with playlists or anything. But with playlists, you could basically use 1 html page to display all the videos.

The file should come with a file called "JW Player Quick Start Guide". It's a .pdf file and will give a basic idea of what you need to do. Samples of code to use are in there.

You can do 1 .html page for each video, or create a playlist. In the videos I uploaded last night, I just did an html page for each video, as I only uploaded 2 of them, and wanted something quick and easy. I didn't bother with playlists or anything. But with playlists, you could basically use 1 html page to display all the videos.

Does the file explain how to create a playlist, because that is one thing I am not fully understanding.

Back