• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Microsoft Windows XP SP2

CareBear said:
I've never used any other browser than IE

You have my deepest sympathies. How can you read a discussion forum without tabbed browsing? You must either have a thousand disorganized windows open, or you have to take forever going back to the forum list and clicking again.

Ah well, I will say that IE beats Konqueror.

Last edited:
Hoth said:
You have my deepest sympathies. How can you read a discussion forum without tabbed browsing? You must either have a thousand disorganized windows open, or you have to take forever going back to the forum list and clicking again.
I use a highly advanced feature called the Back button. You click on a link and when you finish reading by magic it takes you back to the previous page.
It's worth looking into :D

Sarcasm aside, I don't see any benifit in tabbed browsing. If you do, all the better for you and a different feature set is actually a good and valid reason to use an alternate browser.

Sorry to break up your reasearch frenzy post Carebear,

If you were actually reading my post, you'd see that I said, "I would guess....80%...", not "80% of people". There is a difference.

Anyhow,

I'm using IE since the win95 era and I'm very happy with it.
No major complaints. My taskbar is 2 taskbar heights to accomodate all those Name - IE windows but I got used to it :)

My once major consern was with outlook. Spam containing images would run and i'd get twice as much spam as the day before and it went on and on.
I'v heard this feature is disabled in sp2 or something.

My vote goes to IE

Matt8 said:
If you were actually reading my post, you'd see that I said, "I would guess....80%...", not "80% of people". There is a difference.
MATRIX actually started using that figure, so my comment wasn't aimed towards you. :)

My once major consern was with outlook. Spam containing images would run and i'd get twice as much spam as the day before and it went on and on.
I'v heard this feature is disabled in sp2 or something.
Just to clarify: SP2 updates Outlook Express to not show external images, but not Outlook. Outlook XP still has that particular problem, although Outlook 2004 has it fixed as a standard feature (I think).
If you use OE you're safe from that particular problem, if you use the full Outlook you're out of luck. :devious2:

Last edited:
Furthermore there are more people scrutinizing over IE looking for flaws on a day to day basis than there are people who actually develop Mozilla, let alone look for flaws in it.
Um... Mozilla offers $500 to anyone who can find a 'critical' bug. The Mozilla Foundation released a security patch within DAYS of the announcement being posted to a security list (the Firefox 0.9.2 patch.)
I use a highly advanced feature called the Back button. You click on a link and when you finish reading by magic it takes you back to the previous page.
It's worth looking into
The back button has this nice little flaw in IE. It tends to remove any and all form information at random. Now, it does this in Mozilla/Firefox at times too, but that's usually due to Javascript incompatabilities. Tabbed Browsing > Back button.

tabbed browsing is a godsend. saves so much time and saves all the spam of tons of IE buttons on the task bar. even with XP's grouping, its annoying to look through them. saves space and resources too, i would be led to believe...

easiest way to tab between multiple pages, or going to another train of thought and opening another tab and look for something on that rather than lose information on the original tab.. (Having to go through so much history, maybe lost info, etc)

The best thing about tabs is the "Undo closed tab" feature Firefox's TabBrowser Extensions has. There are so many times I accidentally close the wrong tab it's not funny, but having the undo is so handy :)

CareBear said:
MATRIX actually started using that figure, so my comment wasn't aimed towards you. :)

My weblogs and AWstats says 80% who the hell would care if it's 80, 90, 60, is the MOST USED BROWSER on the Internet. What else do we need to know? -

Anyhow, I might be wrong.....as people are some times... And the figures depends too....

notnamed said:
The best thing about tabs is the "Undo closed tab" feature Firefox's TabBrowser Extensions has. There are so many times I accidentally close the wrong tab it's not funny, but having the undo is so handy :)

come to think of it, i better look thru those extensions.. i've been meaning to, but i keep putting it off ever since i reformatted xD

Validating (X)HTML With IE6 WinXP SP2 Using File Upload

trenzterra said:
And there's a bug in IE6 SP2... (I posted it on W3C's newsgroup earlier...)

I have just discovered a simple fix for this problem, it's just a simple registry hack, that will also allow you to validate XHTML documents (with a .xhtml extension) as application/xhtml+xml. I posted it to my blog. See Validating (X)HTML with IE using File Upload

stabme said:
tabbed browsing is a godsend. saves so much time and saves all the spam of tons of IE buttons on the task bar. even with XP's grouping, its annoying to look through them. saves space and resources too, i would be led to believe...

easiest way to tab between multiple pages, or going to another train of thought and opening another tab and look for something on that rather than lose information on the original tab.. (Having to go through so much history, maybe lost info, etc)

Hmm.. I always thought tabbed browsing to be overrated, I really doesn't like the fact that you can't read a tab's title when you open too much of them. Sure you can use extender menu, but it's no different with XP grouping.

I like mouse gestures though.

Hmm.. I always thought tabbed browsing to be overrated, I really doesn't like the fact that you can't read a tab's title when you open too much of them. Sure you can use extender menu, but it's no different with XP grouping.
Um... hover over the tab. EXACTLY like what it would look like if you had a bunch of IE windows open with XP grouping off. When I open that many tabs it's usually on a forum, thus I just go through them at random, closing them when I'm done reading/posting. If it's a bunch of random crap I'll open another window or two and move the tabs over.

notnamed said:
Um... hover over the tab. EXACTLY like what it would look like if you had a bunch of IE windows open with XP grouping off. When I open that many tabs it's usually on a forum, thus I just go through them at random, closing them when I'm done reading/posting. If it's a bunch of random crap I'll open another window or two and move the tabs over.

Thats exactly why I love tabbed browsing. In message boards, I have middle click set up for new tabs, so I open up about 9 messages and just go thru each one, one by one. Lot easier than "right click+open in new window" in IE. I also have the tab extension so I can switch tabs by using the scroller and holding right click. Very convient.

trenzterra said:
Yeah, I saw it on the Bugzilla bug I filed. How did you get here, anyway?

Ha? What bugzilla bug did you see it on? Do you mean the Validator bug that I replied to? Anyway, I got here while searching google to see if other people had found a solution yet.

Well, got this in my inbox:

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=838

------- Additional Comments From david@dorward.me.uk 2004-09-07 21:21 -------
This has been mentioned a few times, I'm not sure if there are other instances
floating around Bugzilla.

The problem is with Windows, not with the Validator so I think this bug in
invalid, or possibly one which should be resolved with a specific mention of the
Windows issue in the error message.

I came across
http://www.lachy.id.au/blogs/log/2004/09/validating-xhtml-with-ie-using-file on
USENET which looks like a possible fix for Windows. (I haven't tested it as I do
not have easy access to a copy of Microsoft Windows).

As for PHP files, these cannot be validated as they are program source code and
not markup - as such the concept of validation is meaningless when applied to PHP.

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You reported the bug, or are watching the reporter.

Back