• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Microsoft Windows XP SP2

MATRIX

Internet Solutions
NLC
Hey,

I was thinking to let you know... I have installed SP2 on my Computer and works great for me, and I was thinking of sharing the link for the ppl that wants to install it before MS Windows Update Downloads it. ;)

It goes Gold here

The Direct Download Link is Here

Oh and if you "accidently" put in the wrong product key at installation, use this

Hope it helps :)

btw; I love IE's Pop'up blocking feature :)

Last edited:
Not that I'd want to steal away your thunder, but http://freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57991
tongue.gif

SP2 has been Gold (eg, in Windows Update v5 (the one included in the betas and RCs for SP2)) for about three or four days :confused2
Screenshot

Last edited:
And there's a bug in IE6 SP2... (I posted it on W3C's newsgroup earlier...)

me said:
It seems that due to XP SP2's MIME type restrictions, when using Internet Explorer 6 SP2 to validate documents, it will spit out this error:
-----------------------------------
Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because its content type is text/plain, which is not currently supported by this service.

The Content-Type field is sent by your web server (or web browser if you use the file upload interface) and depends on its configuration. Commonly, web servers will have a mapping of filename extensions (such as ".html") to MIME Content-Type values (such as text/html).

That you recieved this message can mean that your server is not configured correctly, that your file does not have the correct filename extension, or that you are attempting to validate a file type that we do not support yet. In the latter case you should let us know that you need us to support that content type (please include all relevant details, including the URL to the standards document defining the content type) using the instructions on the Feedback Page.
----------------------------------
I have asked my friend to test out, and he is using Windows XP SP2 as well. He reports the same problem. Meanwhile, using Mozilla Firefox and Opera doesn't result in any problem.

Do you guys experience this problem as well? It's a major blocker... Also, on another note, I hope PHP files can be validated soon as well.

CareBear said:
Because of the default firewall settings, or a software incompatability?
Both. Sp2 would block the vpn software, poor programming on their part (the vpn authors)

Sorry if i break up current conversation here -- but for those who havn't dowloaded SP2 yet, and dont want to wait in line, there is a bittorrent version of the file here: http://sp2torrent.com/

Kudos to downhillbattle.org (the people hosting the torrent) and webfroot.co.nz (the website in which i found the article, containing the link)

there is no line.

getting it of m$ is the fastest/safest way anyway.. took like 5 minutes

sargobf said:
Sorry if i break up current conversation here -- but for those who havn't dowloaded SP2 yet, and dont want to wait in line, there is a bittorrent version of the file here: http://sp2torrent.com/

Kudos to downhillbattle.org (the people hosting the torrent) and webfroot.co.nz (the website in which i found the article, containing the link)
Microsoft sent their hosts a cease and desist notice. There goes their claim for "legitimate" use of P2P :biggrin2:

I hear the firewall is pretty good. What has your experiences been with it? I always like to hear feedback before I install new things.

Thier firefall is good I think, and it took me 10 mins to get it using Comcast Cable (Yep, I'm on US :))

It's a very basic implementation of a firewall: any program that starts up and is set up to receive incoming connections will be blocked by default (you'll get a warning about this and if you're logged in as administrator you'll have the chance to unblock it in the same dialog).
It's similar to firewalls like ZoneAlarm and the like in this regard, except it won't complain about programs that only make outbound connections (like your browser or email program).

Seems like most news sites are currently having a field day reporting how SP2 "breaks" a whole lot of software. Their reporters should be fired for not knowing that's inherent to any sort of firewall :p.

If you already had a firewall running before you should have no problems understanding it.

Ugh. :rolleyes2

More seriously, rival firewall makers claim that the API used to manage the Windows Firewall could also be used by attackers to modify the software or turn it off. Major firewall makers, including Zone Labs, McAfee, and Symantec are preparing SP2-compatible versions of their applications which disable Windows Firewall when they are installed, and enable it again when they are uninstalled.

But if an installer can switch off Windows Firewall, so could an attacker, argues Zone Labs, maker of the popular ZoneAlarm firewall.
It takes no more effort to turn off MS' firewall than it takes to turn any firewall off by code, or anti virus software for that matter.

*Windows Firewall does not block outgoing traffic as some users have reported when they are presented with the following prompt (see screenshot below). Though the prompt appears to be asking if the user wants to block the application from connecting to the internet, it is actually prompting to block a connection from the internet to your computer. (thanks Kelpfries)
Funny; to me is says "has blocked this program from accepting connections from the Internet or a network". Since when is accepting something a synonym for initiating something? :confused4

According to the test results Windows Firewall does a good job at blocking incoming traffic. However, the fact that it does not monitor outgoing traffic and that it can be turned off easily by other applications really doesn’t make it a safe firewall in my opinion. The resolution, turn it off and get another firewall such as ZoneAlarm or better yet, Sygate Personal Firewall which is free for personal use and offers exceptional protection; both incoming and outgoing.
It does help to keep in mind what Windows Firewall was designed to do: to keep a by default unsecured (no third party firewall installed) from being exploited remotely and it succeeds in doing that.
If Microsoft had implemented full in- and outbound blocking everyone would be screaming in outrage at how the big, evil Microsoft was going to crush the poor, helpless firewall companies.
Is Windows Firewall more secure than a default XP installation? Yes. Is turning it on by default a good thing? Yes. Is it good enough to keep you from using another software firewall? No. It's meant to protect those who don't already have one installed, nothing more, nothing less.

To illustrate:
net stop "Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\navapsvc\Start = 0x4
stops Symantec's antivirus auto protect and will keep it from ever starting again when you reboot.

net stop "Sygate Personal Firewall"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SmcService\Start = 0x4
*gasp* turns off a non Microsoft firewall and disables it from ever getting started again by the average user.

The issue isn't with Microsoft or it's implementation of a firewall, it's with people running on accounts with administrative privileges. If you weren't running as administrator you'd see a nice "Access denied" on both the registry key and the net stop.
Clueless journalists should stop writing and making claims about things they know nothing about. Also, shame on Zone Labs for saying it can easily be turned off when their own software suffers from the exact same issue. :shame:

Back