• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

*.ly domains are free...

This is just to sil.ly :D (was not taken according to whois,
but I wouldn´t put much trust to that).

I have a difficult dilemma: Should I not try to get a .ly domain because it´s probably illegal, or for the fact that I don´t need one, or perhaps while I probably would lose it soon anyway. ;)

Anyway, It´s Libya, *NOT* Lybia. (Unless someone changed the name of it while I was asleep :D )

Now that I think about it.... good point. But, everybody's done a bit of a fraud anyways, so... (like you really tell your fwp or whatever free service you're signing up for your real name and address and phone number? :rolleyes:)

technically it's not a free service for everyone. only for libyian citizens. whether they have the resources to check for legit libyians or not, who knows.

but there are people who are paying up to $500 for .ly domains through nic.ly strategic partners, so this is not peanuts compared to entering bogus information for a fwp.

Those people who payed up to $500 for that .ly domain's just plain sil.ly and stupid. ;)

yeah, but people could still not pay the $500 and get the domain free. Its their choice.

BTW--Phrozen can i have you domain, is.ly?

Originally posted by Cyber
yeah, but people could still not pay the $500 and get the domain free. Its their choice.

at nic.ly, i'm sure that if you check off "No" for "Are you a Libyan Citizen? Only Libyan citizens are entitled to free services", then they won't give it free. otherwise, you'll have to register thru the other strategic partners and pay.

and if you register through www.lydomains.com,

Registration fees are payable by credit card upon application. Customers registering large volumes of domain names maybe eligible for invoicing where payment is due within fourteen days after date of invoice. The billing contact listed in will be invoiced within seven (7) days of domain name registration by email. If payment is not received within thirty (30) days of the initial invoice the domain will be deleted and will immediately be available for registration by anyone.

In the event of domain name deletion due to non payment, the registration fees remain due and payable.

I don't think that the people who payed $$$ for a .ly domain are stupid. I think nic.ly is rather careless in managing the domains to let them slip away for free like that.

Originally posted by Cyber

I'm with LeX on this. I think I'll use it myself; maybe a little redirection service of my own. Thanks for the idea Cyber. ;)

This has to be the longest thread in the history of domain registration forum!

OK so how many actually applied and how actually got it? Let's count the success percentage.

Back