• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Looking for free forum software?

You forgot buggy.

It's not feature locked, and yet it's in RC-1 status... That doesn't speak highly of the stability and security of the board.

Originally posted by AlieXai
You forgot buggy.

It's not feature locked, and yet it's in RC-1 status... That doesn't speak highly of the stability and security of the board.

Actually it's current version is RC2.3, and Final will be coming out within the month of December.

Originally posted by Phrozen
...and a ripoff of vBulletin (or so I've heard).

You heard wrong :)
It's 100% legal.

Have you compared the source code of vBulletin to OpenBB?
If you do, you'll notice they are coded completly different.

I recommend hosting your own board.

When people say rip-off, they don't necessarily mean "coded the same". It could also mean that the board's layout is similar or that the features are pretty much the same. Whatever it is, I don't like vBulletin's layout anyway, so it doesn't make a difference to me. LOL :D

Just checked out OpenBB...Man, is it similar to vBulletin! In features, in layout, in pretty much everything except name and cost!

I'm an all rounder.
I used:
- phpBB (My first love)
- OpenBB (on my test server, wasn't too goo so I never used it for a site)
- XMB (Allmost, but it wasn't functioning with my design)
- WBB (at site-32, but the DB is down).
- ikonboard (Just a test, until BW stopped offering CGI)
- YaBB (On a site I'm not going to name)
You see, I pretty much used them all. And the best I like XMB. It's not a clone, it has a lot of features and it's stable.

I recommend creating a bboard on your own. You own code.
Or download any of vbulletin, ubb, xmb, burnb or anything and edit some of the features and layout on your own.
It will be better :D I hope !:rolleyes:

Re: iKonBoard

Originally posted by DeepList.com
Try iKonBoard. It is free, and very easy to install. It uses pure CGI. I have used iKonBoard on my site for quite some time and have been very happy with it. Check it out at: http://www.ikonboard.com
Ikonboard v3 is the coolest!!! :D

DeepList.com: Why don't you upgrade your Ikonboard to v3? It's nicer.

Realistically, all the different free forum software is pretty much the same.

They basically have the same features, work the same, and generally look the same. Then some have a few different features here and there.

Really I think it comes down to a personal opinion on what one would prefer to run.

I used to swear by Ikonboard, but that was just because it was the first major script I ever used, and I thought it was just really cool how it was free, and pretty feature packed and all that jazz.

Now, though... I dislike IB, it's too bloated for my likings.

Now I swear by Burning Board/ WBB :)

Back