• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Layout Opinions

faded15

I only have the main page up but my layout will be the same for each page (basically). I want to have teh same heading for each page and the links that you see will be on every page as well.

My site is: http://dhost.info/AudibleMelodies/tp/

It's a musician fan site type thing. I had a few questions. Is there too much pink? What can I add to spice it up? Is the layout too basic? Any ideas on where to put those links? Also I think I will center the whole thing..should there be a border around the whole thing? Because I am not going to have any full page scrolling. I am gonna have it scroll just the content.

I know it's nothing fancy, but I wanted to keep it simple but well done, crisp site that is good looking. Any advice would be awsome.

Melissa

thanks..yeah i agree with both. im just going to redo it and come abck and let you guys review it again..also does the text look oaky or is it hard to read?

Again, please?

Hey..I'm back I re-did my design a bit. So my first design link is listed on the original post...

Now here are my next layout options (which are farley similar):

http://dhost.info/AudibleMelodies/tristan_/index.htm

OR

http://dhost.info/AudibleMelodies/tristan_/tp-links.htm

OR

http://dhost.info/AudibleMelodies/tristan_/tp.htm

So the first option lists my links on the LEFT and the next one has them placed right underneath my header image, centered. My first question is do the links look good under the header or on the left in the content area?

Second, how does the thin border look? Does the white or dark brown look better and should the border be around the content AND the header image (like the first option) or just the content?

Thanks in advance guys!!

Melissa

Dear Melissa,

I had a look at your website and I find the links area to be "out of colour", the background behind them should match in with the main background.

If you change that, the website will look a lot better.

Regards,

clarkerst.

You know waht I thought that was happening..the thing is, is that I put the EXACT hex # I use for my bg in photoshop an it STILL is out of color. Can someone please help me with this? This hasn't happened before to me, and I'm confused. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, the first one is a good size for screens that are set to 1024x768 and bigger, but not 800x600. if gets all messed up. also, a little dark.

the second post you made had a few more layouts, so here is some feedback on those.

the first one in the second post: still a little dark for me. if you try to resize the window, the header stays in tin the same place, but the content area, moves all the way over and is no longer alligned with the header. no good.

the second posting with the second layout: is is all scred from the beginning unless your screen is bigger than 1024x768, and not even sure if it is then. something isnt set right because as soon as the page loads, you get horizontal scroll bars. bad. and the actual header and content are a lot smaller than the window, so not sure why it has the horizontal scrollbar. i would also say, use the same font for all the links. and again, to dark.

and the last one: still has the same window scrollbar problem, to dark, and the border around the content box and header should be a lighter color. probably the best looking of the 4 you posted, but, still has problems that need to be fixed.

You know waht I thought that was happening..the thing is, is that I put the EXACT hex # I use for my bg in photoshop an it STILL is out of color. Can someone please help me with this? This hasn't happened before to me, and I'm confused. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
if you are using some .png files, and others that are .jpg or .gif, you will experience the proble. a .png normally comes out a little darker and richer for some reason. try using all .jpg files. if you are already, then i am not sure what to tell you.

Last edited by a moderator:
png files also are compressed differently and usually preserve transparencies. But as JST said, it is better to use one type of file than more than one type, unless you really need to use more than one type.

PNG is also a good substitute for GIF files.

Thanks a lot for the replies! How do you suggest I go about resizing everything so it fits right on all resolutions?

Also, I'm pretty sure I used all JPG files but i'll check. I am going to go with a lighter brown, fix the iamges and try to get the resolution thing fixed....Also, for teh border what lighter color do u suggest?

If you want to fit it right on all resolutions, you gotta tell us/me what editing program you use for HTML.

For dreamweaver, it's a piece of cake to give you the code... as Dreamweaver does do autostretch tables in its WYSYWIG correctly. FrontPage and GoLive! do not.

Or, we/I could just make a JS code that gets your browser window size. I forgot JS can do that.

Yes, I use Dreamweaver. Okay I found the "autostretch" option ( I was using "fixed" before) ..one problem I want there to be space on either side of the table. Okay, so I went to "page properties" and put 255 pixels for the left and right margins. Here are my corrections and the most recent layout I have made:

http://dhost.info/AudibleMelodies/tristan_/tp22.htm

I did the "autostretch" and I put 255 pixels for the left/right margins. Will autostretch still make it compatible for all resolutions even if I did the margins?

Is the bg too dark still, or allright?..Thanks for all the feedback guys!!!

Melissa

EDIT: Okay I just looked at the link with other resolutions and it gave me a horizontal scrollbar. I guess my question now is how do I get space on the left/ride sides of the table but still be allright for all browsers?

Last edited:
hmm..well when i open the link it opens it up in a smaller window and i see a scrollbar and when i switch my resolution to a smaller one it gives me a scrollbar as well. is anyone else seeing this?

also, does the bottom look wierd with there being a bigger space inbetween the borders? should it just be the same width inbetween them as the sides?

Back