• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've said before in one of these threads, the world revolves around tattletales, but then again, the police do have patrols... I don't think a thread should necessarily have to be reported for anything to be done about it. I'll agree that reporting a post would allow it to be taken care of faster, but it should be dealt with eventually regardless if anyone says anything. That's why I've often said this forum has far too few moderators to efficiently cover all the boards. I also don't understand why the moderators here aren't anonymous.

Nothing wrong with a police state if you follow the rules. You do observe the rules, don't you Meow? :D

Originally posted by Phrozen
Because Jan is a female's name, Murat.

Anyways, congrats, Jan. :)

It's both here in the US... In fact, I tend to think of it more as a guy's name as the general manager where I used to work was named Jan... And he was male.

Originally posted by Dusty
Nothing wrong with a police state if you follow the rules. You do observe the rules, don't you Meow? :D

Meow observing the rules? ROTFLMAO
That will be the day! ROTFLMAO

Originally posted by meow
Because this is after all not a police state?

I couldn't have said it better myself. ;)

Dusty, how would it benefit you as a member or the community as a whole if you did not know who was moderating?

Rules have a value in themselves, didn't you know? :eek:

Last edited:
On my own sites (which are being redone now, but anyway...) I follow a starkly different policy than the one you seem to here. I suppose you could say I do run a police state. Head moderators (supermods, whatever their generic term is) are known by name and do have public titles, as do admins. General moderators, however, are anonymous. There are also many of them, at least one for every ten members. Some are completely invisible, never seen by members. Others pose as members and enter into threads like anyone else. The anonymity allows for better control of the members because the members never know who the moderators are and never learn what they can get by them. Unlike here, where I can tell you the personality of every mod and fairly well guess what I can get away with with each of them. General moderators really don't have much power besides locking threads, their purpose is mainly to serve as an ever-present watch for the head mods, whose power is greater but still limited and less than that of the admins, who have power over everything except policy, which is the exclusive domain of the supreme admin. There's a very defined hierarchy and everyone knows exactly what their place is and policy is to be followed to the letter.

Back to the question, as a member, how would it benefit me? Well, if I'm good I've nothing to fear and nothing to worry about and I can rest assured in the knowledge that those who aren't good and have done something will be taken care of. There's the benefit, security.

Now my question, funny you should ask why moderators should be anonymous, why were moderators anonymous here during WebBBS days?

We had anonymous moderators at that time since we were not enough moderators and the forum software was really bad to moderate with. So to scare away potential abusers members would not know who was a moderator and who wasn't. At least that was the theory behind it if I remember correctly. In reality it did not work very well.

Your solution might be better but personally I'm sceptic.

Are you using the vbulletin forum? How many members do you have?

No, I don't use vB, I've always written my own scripts to conform to my needs and better integrate with the rest of the network of sites (single signup form for everything, etc). I'm actually writing the new one now. How many members? Well, as I've said about it being redone, currently none, but taking everything into account and judging from the past, around 500-600 that post at least once.

Originally posted by Ragzz
You know what we gotta thank canada for...that tank and that soldier they sent for WWII. Without them, we wouldve lost. Also John Candy...he's a cool canadian.

I thought John Candy died several years ago??

John Candy did die several years ago, but he's still hilarious.

This may be off topic, but did anyone notice that when Chris Farley died, he popped up in about 20 movies afterwards??

same thing with that punk tupac shakur. he gets gunned down, then puts out more music than when he was alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back