• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

is vBulletin worth it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldveins

Im in the process of developing a website and Id like to have a good Message Board. Im expecting alot of posters so I was wondering if vBulletin is worth the $165 or not.

Just because you expect a lot of posters doesn't mean you will get them :) I would suggest trying one of the free ones and then changing over to vBulletin if you get your expected posters :)

Yep called Impex - but it can be a b*tch to work. However, defenitely try a free board first, anything that can save you £90 is a no brainer.

Oh, and for a free board, you might want to try Mybb, its a favroued option by many here ;)

Good luck with your site.

No. I'd stay away from vBulletin at all costs.

I prefer IPB or phpBB (version 2 over version 3 by the way...).

Yun - you and vB just have your disagreements :p dont knock a great software :p

I have to agree with AMC, I currently use IPB and it's a great piece of software. If you compare it to vB, vB has the more features and the speed. In my opinion IPB has a better 'style' to it but IPB has about 100 CSS styles which do the same thing.

Anything that doesn't agree with me is crap :D. I'm still trying to mess around with vBulletin's API...vB and I were never friends and never looked at each other eye to eye :(.

Yes, vBulletin has more features, more features that I don't want - who on Earth wants podcasting on their forums!? They'd be better off making it an addon. And I must say, that templating system is a bugger, but well, I have to live with it.

I've never had a VB forum before, but from working with it here on FWS I can say that is really nice. I really like all of the features.

I would love to buy one sone day .. but I need to save my pennies.

vBulletin is the best forum software at the moment. For the price of it, you would hope it is.

Next best thing to vBulletin is MyBB. It's free and is very similar to vBulletin in many ways.
I agree that you should give a free one a spin before spending money that may go down the drain if you do not get the posters you expect.

There were projects I had before where I "Expected" many members and posters. I still have one of those and basically there are only 3 or 4 that post there.

MyBB 1.4 is set to blow vBulletin away. Of course there will be corporate people who still will want to pay for a software just because it's viewed as proper.

I rate MyBB at the top looking into the future with vBulletin second.

MyBB 1.4 is set to blow vBulletin away. Of course there will be corporate people who still will want to pay for a software just because it's viewed as proper.

I rate MyBB at the top looking into the future with vBulletin second.

Yeah I do see MyBB becoming the most polular. It certainly is at the moment among free forums.
I am looking forward to 1.4 actually.

I thing vbulletin is faster than other (I have not tested).
Compare Vbulletin in freewebspace.net and other forum board. Here it is too fast.

So switch to it.U can give a satisfaction to users..Cost can be negotiated

vB is terrible, i would totally never buy it.
NOT, j/k. vB is the best!!!!!
there are plenty of free ones that are ok to use. the only problem is if you use a free one and want to switch to vB in the future, it is a major pain.

its doable :p but hes right - to be avoided. I have to say , I am of the opinion that MyBB will never render vB Redundant, purely becaue vB IS paid, A lot of larger websites will go for the more unique and more extravegant option.

Dont get me wrong, I love both boards though.

That is foolish too, but I know what you mean. They think if something is free, or cheaper ..it can't be that good. myBB is a beautiful board!

I have to say , I am of the opinion that MyBB will never render vB Redundant, purely becaue vB IS paid, A lot of larger websites will go for the more unique and more extravegant option.

Dont get me wrong, I love both boards though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back