• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Is Servus going under??

It might be for you, but not me.

I have over 50 web sites on it, and the server's loads are not busy at all. I don't need that much RAM for now.

But for my upcoming server, it should have at least 128MB Ram.

I just want to say that I like your attitude, Donnovan. And always have. Good luck with the new server. :)

I dont think it is ....

Because if you keep loading your servers with those feeable amounts of ram you are going to go under.

How can you do that to your customers? 50 sites sharing 64mb's ram. My server had 256mb ram in till a few weeks back and i felt guilty having 40 sites sharing that. We now have the maximum you can load into an RAQ3 we have 512mb ram.

Cheap hosts need lots of ram and a big processor to handle the amount of signup's your going to get as you grow. 128mb ram isnt going to cut in the market you are attacking donovan. But good luck anyways.

Eddie, if it isn't needed, it isn't needed. There is nothing to feel guilty about. "How can you do that to your customers? 50 sites sharing 64mb's ram" - so he should just put in a stick of 256 for the heck of it or because........ ???

You are making it seem as if he said, "No matter how many sites are on the server, and how busy it gets and how high the load, I'm not adding more ram."

Chicken,

So your telling me that if you were still in the market for a Virtual host account you'd be happy sharing 64mb ram between 50 sites? What happens if you and three sites start getting lots of hits? the server grinds to a halt and your users get pissed and dont come back.

64 maybe fine if there all low traffic, But over a 24 hour period whilst waiting for a RAM upgrade his users could get very annoyed with him and start slating him on forums like this one.

I maybe should of worded my post better.

I have to agree with Technics, my server has 256ram and i feel i need more, i will be getting 512ram shortly :), the thing is i have 67 sites on this server with 256ram and its to little, you can never have enough ram. The more ram the merrier and the safer even though my load is usually 0.01 or 0.00.

Regards,
ValuableHost

:rolleyes: I'm getting my computer ugraded, I'll put 1GB of RAM into it, a dual P4 1,4GHz, a 150GB larger RAIDed harddisk, a GeForce 3, and a 21' monitor. You know what I'm gonna do with that machine?

I'm gonna have it on all day without useing it.
This is exactly what you people are doing. Sorry, but why install that much RAM if you only use like 5MB of it????:confused:

Say you signup a new client who will use alot of server resources, whats the 64ram going to do now?? you need 256 at least, even for backup incase this happens.

Originally posted by Valuablehost
I have to agree with Technics, my server has 256ram and i feel i need more, i will be getting 512ram shortly :), the thing is i have 67 sites on this server with 256ram and its to little, you can never have enough ram. The more ram the merrier and the safer even though my load is usually 0.01 or 0.00.

Regards,
ValuableHost

While I agree that having too much ram is never a bad thing, the point is that your specs should match your needs. You guys remind me of the old ladies who go into the computer store and buy the fastest and most expensive computer available to type emails out on.

You feel you need more? What is this? My computers don't magically speak to me through some sort of virtual brainwave communication. You say, "the thing is i have 67 sites on this server with 256ram and its to little..." - I'm just wondering if this statement is based upon fact (you checked the server and noticed that the usage is getting up there), or if you're just picking a number that sounds good?

Like I said, if having too much ram is your only problem then you're doing ok. I'm not saying that, and I'm not arguing that. But to make up an arbitrary number of what you think is acceptable and then chastise a host for using less than that is not exactly warranted.

Would I host my sites on a server with 64MB of ram? Yes, if that's all that was needed. I hosted myself and other sites on a server with 64MB of ram for some time, and upgraded when it wasn't enough.

Seems 256 and 512 are magic numbers here. What if I said that I can't believe you host on anything less than a gig of ram (...like I do blah blah...)? If it sounds like I'm picking on you two, then I aplogize, that isn't the purpose.

Last edited:
In the local computer store. Well, I had a hard time fitting those P4's into it, but it eventually worked. I'm so exited, I should really turn my computer on!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Chicken

While I agree that having too much ram is never a bad thing, the point is that your specs should match your needs. You guys remind me of the old ladies who go into the computer store and buy the fastest and most expensive computer available to type emails out on.

Its good business sence to prepare for the future. You can never predict a fluctuation of hits to the server, and that is why you must always have more ram than necessary.

Most ppl expect 100% uptime nowadays and if your server does crash i could see you loosing alot of your customers.

I would like to remain silence. But let me clarify something.

64MB Ram, is already far more than necessary usage for my server.

However, maybe it's a real problem for you guys about my 64MB Ram. But let's get this over. My new server comes with 512MB Ram. That's very far more than enough already.

Back