• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Is it illegal to have a domain name like...

is it illegal to have a domain like linksgoogle.co.uk or googlehome.org etc? or any domain closley resembling a big buisness?.

I don't think so but couldn't be 100% definite on that. Like, there is another domain on the net called just*******googleit So, not sure really.

There was a thread a bit back on this , A host went down with the name vespahost or something (correct me if wrong but it was after a scooter company) they had to close down due to vespa contacting them , they weren't forced to change but were advised.

I e-mailed msn by the time i get a reply from them somebody else will have probly registerd it but im going to wait for a reply before i register it. Better safe than sorry!.

There was a thread a bit back on this , A host went down with the name vespahost or something (correct me if wrong but it was after a scooter company) they had to close down due to vespa contacting them , they weren't forced to change but were advised.

it was vespacious ;)

I e-mailed msn by the time i get a reply from them somebody else will have probly registerd it but im going to wait for a reply before i register it. Better safe than sorry!.

MSN will see the domain and register it themselves :lol:.

It is not illegal. However it can become illegal if related companies file lawsuits for trademark violation and winning the case against you.

You are particularly vulnerable if the domains draw large amount of traffic from google.

Some people managed to get around it by saying it says "Go Ogle It!" - but at the end of the day Google is a mega trademark and my advice would be don't buy them unless you're planning a fan site.

no its not a issue to resgiter msnlive.com

MS just brought the msn.ru domain off a russian for like 1mill$
;)

And look at this, http://msfirefox.com/
That site has been up for ages without anyone being sued

The worse they will do is send a letter, They dont really care to much same with google, They have allready made $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Last edited:
I am sure YouTube sued another company with the domain Utube.com, for stealing their traffic.

It was something ridiculous like that.

how about microsoft.com
i have backordered it
seriously

I've got a feeling that they'll never let it drop.

You've wasted your money.

m4fia, you were thinking of uTube vs YouTube case because it had affected their reputation and uTube was getting too much traffic so it was down half the time.

I have noticed a domain avalible "msnlive.com". Im just thinking that could cause me problems registering it?.

Looks like somebody already registered it a while back:

Registrant:
Microsoft Corporation
Domain Administrator
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
US
Email: domains@microsoft.com

Registrar Name....: REGISTER.COM, INC.
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: www.register.com

Domain Name: msnlive.com

Created on..............: Tue, Oct 11, 2005
Expires on..............: Sun, Oct 11, 2009
Record last updated on..: Fri, Dec 29, 2006

Administrative Contact:
Microsoft Corporation
Domain Administrator
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
US
Phone: +1.4258828080
Email: domains@microsoft.com

Technical Contact:
Microsoft Corporation
MSN Hostmaster
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
US
Phone: +1.4258828080
Email: msnhst@microsoft.com

DNS Servers:

ns3.msft.net
ns4.msft.net
ns1.msft.net
ns5.msft.net
ns2.msft.net

Figured they wouldnt let this one slip by them..:)

Back