• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Internet Explorer Corrupt: Extremely Weird

JetBlackRX89

Out of the clear blue, Internet Explorer started messing up. It would load my homepage fine, and I could click links to get to pages. But every time I typed something in the address bar and hit "go," a second, third, fourth, (etc.) explorer window would open and it would go nuts. I would have to use CRTL + ALT + DELETE to close them.

I attempted to fix this by removing Explorer in "add/remove windows components." Then I went into the "Internet Explorer" directory and deleted everything. So then, I downgraded from Service Pack 2 to Service Pack 1. Explorer 6 SP1 was installed and it worked fine! Then I upgraded to Service Pack 2 again. However, when I clicked Internet Explorer's icon, it said "choose which program you want to open this file."

So I reverted to SP1 again, explorer worked, then I went back to SP2. It had this problem again! Im thinking when I revert to SP1, its backing up a damaged registry entry for Explorer, and when I reinstall SP2, it restores this registry and thats why I get problems.

Any ideas?

EDIT: for the heck of it, I installed Internet Explorer 7. This works fine, but no doubt it also uses new registries I'm sure. I really would like to use Explorer 6 SP2 though, since 7 is still just a beta.

Last edited:
Or Opera, Netscape, etc.

Or just get a whole new Operating System like CentOS, MACOS, Linux (Boots off of a PC) or others. :p

Yeah but Internet Explorer plays a big role in windows, whether you use it for internet or not. Using FireFox would be the lazy way out.

Clarification: I'm asking for a method of repair, not alternatives.

have you gone to sp2 and then downloaded and installed IE ? instead of just using the one you have atm i mean.

Of course IE will get corrupt, It doesn't need a reason it just happens when it feels like it.

Short answer: Get firefox or any other browser that doesn't suck.

Back