• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

I have a question?

megahot

I found some renowned web site sales web hosting at very low price

e.g. 1and1.com

Web Space 10 GB 120 GB
Monthly Transfer Volume 300 GB 1,200 GB

How they can sold it? Where as in this forum space is costly?

I'll try to make this simple, but its really not.

Theres only a certain amount of space on a server... maybe up to 500 gigs?
Well, when people purchase hosting, they only use a certain amount of the space they're given. Only about 10% of customers will actually fill up their hosting accounts. Some companies have taken advantage of this, and will not pay attention to how much they've sold, but instead- how much is available on the server. For example, If we sold a 20gb reseller, we would consider that 20gb of our hard drive is now not available to be able to be sold to anyone else, that person can do whatever they want with it, including leaving it empty. Another company would sell a 300gb hosting plan, and realize that they still have a certain percentage of their HD empty, so they keep putting more customers on that server. This is called "Overselling" (Selling more than you actually physically have). Companies that oversell can sell for cheaper, but the customers are packed tighter and tighter on a server, and you cannot use the amount of space you've purchased. If you come close to using that much space or bandwidth, they'll terminate your account and give you some BS reason.

Hope this clears things up.

I'll try to make this simple, but its really not.

Theres only a certain amount of space on a server... maybe up to 500 gigs?
Well, when people purchase hosting, they only use a certain amount of the space they're given. Only about 10% of customers will actually fill up their hosting accounts. Some companies have taken advantage of this, and will not pay attention to how much they've sold, but instead- how much is available on the server. For example, If we sold a 20gb reseller, we would consider that 20gb of our hard drive is now not available to be able to be sold to anyone else, that person can do whatever they want with it, including leaving it empty. Another company would sell a 300gb hosting plan, and realize that they still have a certain percentage of their HD empty, so they keep putting more customers on that server. This is called "Overselling" (Selling more than you actually physically have). Companies that oversell can sell for cheaper, but the customers are packed tighter and tighter on a server, and you cannot use the amount of space you've purchased. If you come close to using that much space or bandwidth, they'll terminate your account and give you some BS reason.

Hope this clears things up.

Thanks for clearing me. Now I can understand everything.

So in other words, if it sounds too good to be true then it most likely is.
Low cost for large amounts is not good.

Yeah, remember the saying that you will get for what you pay. So when you get more a than a dedicated server for a few $$, you should have to compromise on something else and probably it will be quality or reliability.

So always go for a host with a decent pay structure.

Say what everybody may, but every hosting company is overselling to some extent these days. Otherwise you loose your market share. Evrybody wants to get more for less. Every customer given the option will go for the the hosts who are overselling. And it is also not bad if the hosts can keep up with their promise.

But there are still companies exists which have honest prices. Maybe I'm wrong here but as for me companies like santrex.net, neowebspace.com etc. do not oversell at all. And I think that they are trying to atract customers with that. And I personaly like to get what I pay for.

Back