• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

how to restore windows98

theguy

my sister computer crashed down and asked me for help. her young son messed windows98 and it no longer starts. she does not have a copy of the master cd. all she has is windows98 in drive D which still working fine.
can you explain (step by step) to me how to restore and fix my sister computer.

I think your problem is... Your windows cant locate its registry.

Try this....

Before WIN98 boot in to Windows... Press F8 ! Or you may use your Windows 98 startup disk. -- START, SETTINGS, CONTROL PANEL, ADD REMOVE PROGRAM, STARTUP DISK.

The point is, you should run on PURE MS DOS.
Then type "REGEDIT /RESTORE" Without quote (")
Choose your restore point then restart.

I hope this can fix.

how to switch to dos? when i press on F8 it askes me for startup disk . i only have windows 98 on drive D. could someone please explain step by step how to restore it.
thanks

1.make a bootdisk
2.start with it in floppy
3.you can enter your cd (d:)
4.type d:\install
5.install in c:\windows (this will not delete files in the windows, so u can still get the files after u finnish installation)

1. Does the system boot at all?
2. Are the Win98 setup files on the harddisk?
3. If it boots hold down the left shift key as soon as you see 'starting windows' - that will go to a basic DOS 7 prompt.

Does it boot using left shift key?

As the setup files are there if you can boot change to the setup files directory and type setup. Go through the process and the settings and apps should all still be there as it runs as a repair install.

to change directory in Dos you use cd command >>
is this cammand correct, i'm trying to change to D drive
cd d:\

Back