• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How many hosts can be reached if your site is down?

No ( That's why I had said that you shacked my mind to have another lokk on the things. That could be big problem
Its not a "big" problem. Only problem is the budget your willing to spend on it - technicalities are quite easy to overcome provided you have the $$$.

Shocking thing is... "ServerPoint.com - a true hosting... since 1998" and you haven't thought of this for 10 whole years?

If you can't download a program to reach anybody via instant messenger..use ebuddy and/or meebo. I think having a email account separate from your domain helps. For Example, having a gmail account so that you can check it via POP3 to get your clients help.

I can personally be contacted via MSN and some clients do chat to me on it, but this is only listed on the actual site.

Our client area can be accessed if our main server goes down (The one that hosts our site) as it is hosted offsite. This still doesn't mean it can't go down but the link to our client area is given on our site and in all e-mails that are sent from us.

We can be contacted via e-mail as our e-mail solution is hosted offside and that will work as long as all of our 4 nameservers don't go offline (Very unlikely, but could happen). This e-mail is listed in our welcome e-mail and on our new site (Not yet uploaded).

We also have an external blog hosted on Blogger for problem updates and this can be access as long as our four nameservers stay online and while Blogger is online. This is listed on our site and in welcome e-mails and any other e-mails that talks about problems. This can also be accessed by using the blogger URL but this is only listed in the FAQ.

If our main domain goes down for some random reason (For example, it get deleted for some reason), nothing will work other then MSN :p

Hey,

Checking is run every 5 minutes, and if at a check, the site cannot be reached, an SMS alert is sent to 5 people who have the ability to update this. I'm thinking about doing something like the NY NOC where they have a seperate website hosted off-site with network downtime reports and updates.

I am actually developing some new services with some colleages of mine. That image all database and apache & other files on servers in three datacenter locations (at this time anyways).

We have been expirementing lately with the system and its working very well. We have setup centers in Miami, Chicago and Toronto to test the service.

It works in similar maners as how large companies (futureshop, amazon, ebay etc) work. Were there are serveral servers running so you may be redirected to ww1 or ww2 etc etc depending on the load.

In our recent tests even with a ddos you do not see any effects on the networks. So hopefully in 2009 were be rolling it out as a hosting service. :).

However typically to answer Jan's question we have our 1-800 number which is reachable 24/7 no matter what the issue which allows you to be in contact if there was a problem. Since the new solution isn't offered yet thats our main contact.

And it isn't something that should really be in a welcome email. When people buy hosting they expect the sites will stay up, so having an "in the event of an outage yada........" in the welcome email might be scary :p Maybe it could be mentioned in a say monthly news letter as well as any other contact details.

Jan thats actually a great idea. I have been contemplating creating some kind of quarterly news letter or status update. That mentions the highs and lows of our company and what to expect...

Person I have become sick of big companies hiding the true facts to the little guy. I know no one likes to hear we had issues with yada yada. But lets be frank more people would stay with a host if they were told the truth... My learning experiences show that anyways haha.

*sorry if my spelling bad - long day and havent download the ie spell check*

However typically to answer Jan's question we have our 1-800 number which is reachable 24/7 no matter what the issue which allows you to be in contact if there was a problem. Since the new solution isn't offered yet thats our main contact.
Is the 1-800 number listed in the welcome email?
If you can't download a program to reach anybody via instant messenger..use ebuddy and/or meebo. I think having a email account separate from your domain helps. For Example, having a gmail account so that you can check it via POP3 to get your clients help.
Where are your list of contact options? On the site?

Jan, yea thats typically the number one requirement I have ever seen you insure the mailling address and phone number are in the welcome email. As well as every invoice. Typically these things are printed or should be printed out by the client so they would then have the information in the event of a problem

At hastyfree We have our forum hosted off network and I have my personal email with a copy of all of our clients emails on file in my hard drive (hidden someware between 200 gigs of junk) I need to update it thanks for a reminder :)

Crissic has exchange email off-network; as well as the main website and billing/support area off-network; incase of outages. Our toll free is sent in welcome emails; as well as viewable via whois.

It appears that a few hosts in here have elected to provide phone support and not provide an off network support area. The only issue with that is your lines coudl easily become tangled up. I personally rather know who contacted us and be able to keep the information on record.

It appears that a few hosts in here have elected to provide phone support and not provide an off network support area. The only issue with that is your lines coudl easily become tangled up. I personally rather know who contacted us and be able to keep the information on record.

Good point! Theres always voicemail and ignooring the line (I was forced to do it with a webhost I worked for)

Just put yourselves in the position of a client who can't reach their site/s, your site for an hour, two, three or more. they are totally helpless and have no idea what the hell is going on. They don't know if it is just a "small" problem or whether you have disappeared off the face of the internet. There are no details on the welcome email for alternative contact means. They feel totally helpless.

Some of you may have experienced that feeling when your dedi provider/datacentre had an outage.

When I had control of the below, it was on a seperate system. I believe support is still now.

People don't understand... just by putting the support system on a different system and then pointing the A record of support.domain.com to the other server doesn't resolve the issue.

When your server goes down, your DNS server also goes down along with it. Hence the support help desk wont be resolvable by your clients.

I just did a WHOIS lookup of your domains and 3 of 5 providers have NS delegated to only 1 server (doesn't matter if you have it pointing to 2 different IPs or 200 of them). Despite your effort to add redundancy to your help desk, everything will be a waste when your server actually goes down.

Anyone here has any idea what Multicast is? We haven't yet had the chance to deploy this level of redundancy cause it requires approval from RIPE NCC. And our routers aren't specifically designed for multicast routing either. It isn't expensive at all... honestly, it will be cheaper than most other solutions but issue is being approved for doing it :(

People don't understand... just by putting the support system on a different system and then pointing the A record of support.domain.com to the other server doesn't resolve the issue.

When your server goes down, your DNS server also goes down along with it. Hence the support help desk wont be resolvable by your clients.

I just did a WHOIS lookup of your domains and 3 of 5 providers have NS delegated to only 1 server (doesn't matter if you have it pointing to 2 different IPs or 200 of them). Despite your effort to add redundancy to your help desk, everything will be a waste when your server actually goes down.

Anyone here has any idea what Multicast is? We haven't yet had the chance to deploy this level of redundancy cause it requires approval from RIPE NCC. And our routers aren't specifically designed for multicast routing either. It isn't expensive at all... honestly, it will be cheaper than most other solutions but issue is being approved for doing it :(

interesting tell me how it works out :)

My client base are all local and deal with me directly,

I keep in touch with my clients at least once a month but generally try to keep in contact with them once a week.

They all have my mobile phone number in case they need to call me. So I guess, that's about the best way to have a redundant service. :) Sorry not to disappoint you Jan ;)

[UW]Glenn;1042154 said:
Sorry not to disappoint you Jan ;)
Why would I be disappointed?

If someone noticed their/your site was down at 2am your time, would you answer your mobile?

Why would I be disappointed?

If someone noticed their/your site was down at 2am your time, would you answer your mobile?

heh smarty pants.

My clients aren't awake at that time, and neither am I (Well... Most of the time I go to sleep at 3am) but I do have the servers managed, so they would be brought back up as soon as they are noticed to go down. Or at least I would imagine so.

Back