• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How many hosts can be reached if your site is down?

Jan

Forum Cleaner
NLC
When your site is down is your support email also b0rked? Sure you may have a phone number you can be reached at, but it is no good if your site is down because people can't get your your site to find it.

So fess up. Do you have your support email on from your main server?

Honestly I do however I am looking for a better solution. However all my clients either came from here or my messengers. Well as of before I bought the new host. But if my site was to happen to go down they could contact me via msn/aim/yahoo/skype/xfire or phone :D

listed on the website and they are easy to get. Such as msn is support[at]magnirack.com yahoo is magnirack...ect..ect

So your clients have to guess what your IMs might be if you actually have them. Not good enough ;) And if they aren't IM users? They have to download one and take a punt on what your contact might be?

I beleve your correct with that jan...Might have to look into offsite hosting :)

If our network goes down, we are still reachable :)

We have our support, billing, and our website off network. Our email is also off network as we use Microsoft Exchange for our email.

So if there is ever an entire outage on either of our networks, I am sure that clients would still be able to get in touch with us :)

We have ICQ and email as 2 different channels to be reached.
Time shows that it is enough so far

We have a backup of the website ready hosted in 3 multiple locations and should their be any outage we have 3 backup options to choose from.

Plus, our MSN contact details are in the welcome e-mail :)

Due to our latest problems, we're looking into moving our entire billing/support system to a different server.

We do supply local-rate telephone support as well as instant message support but not 24/7.

We have been hosting our support and main site on completely different server/network. I have found this to be a GREAT thing to do, as it will eliminate our clients being worried.

We have ICQ and email as 2 different channels to be reached.
Time shows that it is enough so far
Where is that listed? On the site? Welcome email?
We have a backup of the website ready hosted in 3 multiple locations and should their be any outage we have 3 backup options to choose from.
Does one automatically kick in if one goes down? Ir do you have to be contacted first? If the latter, where is that contact listed?
[JSH]John;1039469 said:
Due to our latest problems, we're looking into moving our entire billing/support system to a different server.

We do supply local-rate telephone support as well as instant message support but not 24/7.
Is that in the welcome email or listed on site? ;)

Where is that listed? On the site? Welcome email?

Does one automatically kick in if one goes down? Ir do you have to be contacted first? If the latter, where is that contact listed?

Is that in the welcome email or listed on site? ;)

Hey,

Checking is run every 5 minutes, and if at a check, the site cannot be reached, an SMS alert is sent to 5 people who have the ability to update this. I'm thinking about doing something like the NY NOC where they have a seperate website hosted off-site with network downtime reports and updates.

I currently have it on my server, but if everything goes bigger, i'll go with Google Apps, so i can be reached via email :p

But i have also msn support, so, it's not that i can't be reached, lol.

I currently have it on my server, but if everything goes bigger, i'll go with Google Apps, so i can be reached via email :p

But i have also msn support, so, it's not that i can't be reached, lol.

The problem with that, is you need to have your DNS hosted elsewhere. If your MX record is stored on your server and your server goes down, your MX records won't be able to get the mail to Google.

It's a good idea to have a site in the case of an emergency with network updates. However, unless that site is actively mentioned, most clients would not think to look for that site in a network outage.

Hosting your main sight on a different network is a good idea, but what happens if the other network has an outage and your clients want to contact you?

We have our telephone numbers and email addresses listed on the website and welcome email. Ofcourse we are reachable via email (only noc@, support@ is unavailable though) even during a network outage. Unfortunately, we don't offer Live chat/IM interactive support - yet.

We have a standalone desktop application (VB .NET) that makes a copy of client management database. Hence if there is a serious outage, we would contact our premium clients ourselves and let them know of the situation. Other clients will probably (and hopefully) contact us on our Network Operations address and know the status... Yes, this did cost some serious upfront investments but its worth it if your customers are happy (I mean, less pissed off during the outage)
-------
Just having the email server located else where wont help. You need to have your DNS servers else where too (not on the webserver atleast).

So for an ideal setup, you might want to purchase DNS hosting from a professional company like EasyDNS, DNSpark, ZoneEdit, etc and then setup your two different servers. This becomes harder if you are doing email piping for your support tickets on those email addresses and requires custom code (if not a feature already, as in WHMCS).

Last edited:
It's a good idea to have a site in the case of an emergency with network updates. However, unless that site is actively mentioned, most clients would not think to look for that site in a network outage.

And it isn't something that should really be in a welcome email. When people buy hosting they expect the sites will stay up, so having an "in the event of an outage yada........" in the welcome email might be scary :p Maybe it could be mentioned in a say monthly news letter as well as any other contact details.

Back