• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How do you judge hosting is fast?

IMO... if your line speed is 100mbit or higher, and you have a good processor with low usage with good page loading speeds and low latency, you can call yourself fast.

That normally doesn't hold true. 99.9% of hosts that are of any worth - host their company site off of the servers that customers are on. Sometimes, other datacenters. In actuality, my website is slower than what we host our customers on :p But it's an older box and on a pretty utilized network.

Your best bet is to e-mail the company asking for a test download file. Try it in peak hours and non-peak hours. It all depends how well the network is distributed and the load in which the servers you are put on have.

I guess the best way is to talk with the host directly and ask him questions, get answers, then bring the answers here for opinionated analysis.

Hope that helps,
Tylar

Ping times are only really important for things like gameservers, cpu power is more for script processing and content delivery and cpu+ram for large database sites.

So it really all depends what you need, at the same time disk drive latency and nic speed should be considered for database searches and large quantity data transfer in that order.

Back to the drawing board for an all round answer :)

Your best bet is to e-mail the company asking for a test download file. Try it in peak hours and non-peak hours. It all depends how well the network is distributed and the load in which the servers you are put on have.

I guess the best way is to talk with the host directly and ask him questions, get answers, then bring the answers here for opinionated analysis.

Hope that helps,
Tylar

Indeed This is the Best way. Ping is not the accurate method most of the times you own Internet network speed may cause variations.

And I forgot to mention. Many hosts - us ServerOrigin as an example, turn ICMP inbound and outbound off completely to all of our servers that have clients hosted for security purposes.

Why WOULDNT you want a geeky girl? ;)

I usually look at all their features they offer [server specs] but the easiest way is just testing out a site hosted on the host.

Why WOULDNT you want a geeky girl? ;)

I usually look at all their features they offer [server specs] but the easiest way is just testing out a site hosted on the host.

You still have to be carefull, fully upgraded can turn into spec/hosting revisal proposal version 1, which can lead to much infrastructure performance loss with cost increases.

TheFreeWebHost - For a second there, I thought you were talking about the geeky girl.

Didn't think you'd 'get' the server specs bit :lol:

I'd say I'd be able to tell how fast they are by the lag they give me in Halo 3. OH! You mean webhosts...Um...hm...page loading? Latency? Ping? Response time? Server load?

Back