• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Hosting Support questions

kix

Hi,

i am just a bit confused on the support offered by a hosting company.

its obvious they should help you out on cpanel/mysql/php problems,
but i have also heard that they offer scripts installation supports too.

thanks a bit weird, a hosting company helping you out on skinning and scriptgin?

thanks

Some hosting companies do offer support when installing scripts etc. There's nothing weird about that. However, hosting companies are not legally obliged to.

Smaller companies offer this, thats kind of the bonus of going with smaller companies. You develop more of a personal connection with them.

If you have a question about script installation, I don't see why they wouldn't answer the question. Some companies will go the lengths to offer to install the script for you for free, while others at a small fee.

I don't find it weird, if customers come to us saying they have a problem with a script, we give them advice but also offer to install it for them free of charge.

Some hosting companies do offer support when installing scripts etc. There's nothing weird about that. However, hosting companies are not legally obliged to.

Legally? I don't think a host is legally obligated to provide anything in particular. The Terms of Service of a particular host dictate what they will provide you.

To the OP: many hosts offer Fantastico or Installatron which are automatic script installers. Most hosts that have those two apps will support scripts installed by those apps and some hosts will support anything. You should read the ToS to be clear on what support a host offers and if it's unclear, fire off a pre-sales email to the host and ask them what they support.

[HM]orbit;872015 said:
Smaller companies offer this, thats kind of the bonus of going with smaller companies. You develop more of a personal connection with them.

Like bigger companies, smaller companies may or may not offer this service. There is no correlation between company size and what they will offer.

If you have a need for this type of support, search for hosts that specifically offer it in their ToS or through pre-sales emails.

Never assume you will get any support based on anything except direct questions or written commitments from the host.

Most web hosting companies do not help their customers with scripting and they are very clear on these in their terms of service. Some companies do this but they are very few. The point is that it is not possible to offer basic or avanced level scripting work for free with a hostign service that costs less than $10 per month.

Most web hosting companies do not help their customers with scripting and they are very clear on these in their terms of service. Some companies do this but they are very few. The point is that it is not possible to offer basic or avanced level scripting work for free with a hostign service that costs less than $10 per month.

Agreed.

We will support the installation of scripts from Installatron or Fantastico because we provide them. It just seems that we kind of have an obligation to make sure those scripts install properly because we're providing them with the implication that they work. However, those are the only scripts we'll support and we only support them to the point of installation.

I think that's fair as no one can be expected to support any and all scripts that a customer might bring to the table.

Well, the problem is that the hosts, IMO, should offer basic scripting help for all the software installed on their machines but can also help with some scripting for their clients, just to solve any problems. If the work requires more time, well you can always want to get paid for what you are doing but in the end, its all about the attitude and service. As there are such cases, its good to have rates related to extra time for fixing scripts and it depends on the customers, most of them appreciate the work you are doing, some think you are obliged. So you should react fast and adaptive :) .

A.

Legally? I don't think a host is legally obligated to provide anything in particular. The Terms of Service of a particular host dictate what they will provide you.

If you read my post properly you will see that was what I was saying.
Plus, when a person reads a host's TOS and it says we will do this and we will provide that, then the host is also opening a legal agreement with the buyer.

If you read my post properly you will see that was what I was saying.
Plus, when a person reads a host's TOS and it says we will do this and we will provide that, then the host is also opening a legal agreement with the buyer.

No need to get snippy. I didn't read your post that way but now that you've clarified I see what you mean. I thought you were implying that there was some legal obligation of service on a host just by mere being.

I agree on the ToS front, of course. Anything in the ToS must be adhered to by both parties although given the nature of the global host/customer relationship in many cases, I doubt any ToS stuff ever gets to anyone's courts.

Well, the problem is that the hosts, IMO, should offer basic scripting help for all the software installed on their machines

Yup, that's our policy. If we put it there we'll take responsibility for it to some extent. If you put it there...well...we may or may not be able to help you :)

In reality, though, we've been able to support all scripts so far because if they don't work it's typically because they need some mundane setting turned on or off which is usually no big deal.

To try and simplify it (if that's possible) hosts should support the basics as in the advertised facilities included with the account.

If you have a script from somewhere else then there should be no obligation, but if one of the support staff has a bit of free time they might well volunteer to help out. Addittions like Fantastico would mean your expected to install yourself, that's what it's for to make things easy as possible - but again the host may help if you hit a problem.

Don't always judge a host by a lack of support on a problem you may have outside their remit as it really is a case of 'doing you a favour'

Then again, it might be a good idea to have a host - designer - programmer all in one, cause then everyone is in the exact same track as everyone else on developing your site

Well, the host I'm with at the moment hqhost.net charges additional fee for script optimization, and it's an hourly fee which is quite convenient for me.

Back