• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Host needed (moving from Static Host because of support and uptime)

ok thank you for helping me find the 'right' host for my needs. It is appreciated very much, as I do not want to have to switch from the host I decide on for some time.

I will find out the answers to those questions about the server. Meanwhile I have given you a few more details about the datacenter where the server is located in:

The Enterprise Data Center has been the premier center of Excellence for IT Outsourcing and e-Commerce in Southern California. The center was built with the specific intention of it being a high performance state-of-the-art Collocation facility, not a retrofitted facility to be a data center like most of our competitors.

The Data center provides facilities and solutions to federal, state, local, and commercial customers throughout the United States numbering in the thousands.

The Data Center offers the optimal environment for e-business, securely housing day-to-day business for companies that don't want to worry about IT infrastructure.

Overview

- Constructed in 1992 with the most advanced technology available
- Encompasses 65,000 sq. ft
- Raised floor design with cable management system
- Designed with safety, security, fire resistance, and weather protection in mind
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year
- Interior and exterior continuously monitored and videotaped
- Equipped with air filtration and cooling systems, backup power and utilities
- Fire protection, earthquake preparedness, and physical security
- Space configurations specific for all customer needs.

Network Connectivity and Design

- Fully redundant and meshed backbone
- Carrier class telco and data equipment
- Dual path OC-48 connections
- Dual sonet backbone
- ATM network for voice data, video
- Dark fiber aggregation facility
- Carrier neutral location
- Back-up wireless and microwave
- SL 100 Nortel switch.

Network Monitoring & Support

- On-Site 24x7x365 dedicated support staff
- Network Operations Center (NOC) monitors network, power, environment, and facility
- Aprisma Spectrum network software (fault isolation)
- Remedy trouble ticket tracking
- Tier 1 event-tracking logs
- Regularly scheduled testing of all back-up systems.

Server Hosting

- Web hosting / content design
- E-commerce hosting
- Application hosting.

Managed Services

- Professional services
- Network management
- Data security and back-up.

Battery Backup

- Prevent lapse between street power and equipment
- Over 480 batteries implemented as backup
- Keep facility running until power is restored or main generator is started.

Generator

- Designed to handle state & local government in catastrophic event
- 1750-kilovolt Caterpillar generator
- Receives a direct 22,000-volt power feed to its three square D transformers
- 12,500 gallons of diesel fuel are on reserve to feed the generator
- 2 Liebert 750 KVA UPS units, N +1 inline redundant hardware component
- Site Scan system updates NOC on status of power, air handlers, and UPS
- N + 2 system design
- Enough power to conduct business as usual for one week
- Housed directly across from an Edison power plant
- Ran for six hours independent of outside resources after the Landers earthquake.

Earthquake Preparedness

- Flexible architecture
- Capable of withstanding earthquakes measuring magnitude 8.0
- "Erector Set" type of design allows building to flow with earth's movements
- Plumbing is spring mounted to ensures that all parts move accordingly
- Emergency food and water supplies for personnel.

- Directly connected to County of Orange fire and police departments
- All personnel trained on strict emergency procedures
- Equipped with halon detectors, activation switches, fire extinguishers and dry pipe sprinklers
- Fire alarm annunciator map detects exact location of smoke or fire.

Physical Security

- Surveillance cameras patrol exterior and interior perimeters
- Exterior microwaves identify movement and deter potential vandalism
- Entries and exits require personnel and badge identification
- Over 30 cameras secure interior
- Camera locations are never disclosed to personnel or visitors
- Activity is monitored from room to room
- Closely guarded by County of Orange sheriff department
- Prepared for bomb threats, civil disturbances, earthquakes, fires, and natural disasters.

Air Filtration System

- Optimum operating environment while maintaining energy efficiency
- Protected from the elements
- N +2 inline redundant hardware component
- Server rooms contain air filtration, cooling, and humidification systems including:
- Miller-Picking Corporation air filtration system
- Trane Chillers cooling system
- Halon fire protection system
- MEE humidification system

- Humidity constantly monitored and controlled to 45 percent (+/- 5 percent)
- Center ambient temperature constantly controlled to 70 degrees (+/- 5 )
- Trac-Tek system monitoring for leaks and/or condensation

peace-hope: Thats a great find, I know which Data-Center that is... and you will not be disappointed... however, what host are you looking at... your service will only be as good as your host... it only takes one Power Switch to accidently switch off and take down your entire site... you know what I mean?

Last edited:
yes I understand exactly what you mean. The host I am currently looking at is www.ab-hosting.com I plan to stay with them for up to 1-2 months, at that time I will be purchasing a dedicated server myself directly from the datacenter. So everything is going to go great and smooth.

If you can help me out in any other way, thank you in advance.

I appreciate your assistance.

That's a good plan, Dedi will be nice especially if it's for your own interests and site.... and thats a good DC for it... Once you're on your own, remember to backup every day, and don't rely on your Control Panel to backup, do a real one, at least every other day, Get a good Powerful PC for your house to remote into from. You know what your doing.

Thanks, all of my customers and clients will gather all the benefits of my hsoting as soon as I get it up onto the new server :)

There's no actual way a host can guarantee 99.99% uptime. A computer cannot be left on forever so at some point, somewhere down the line your site WILL go down.

peace_hope,

Since your a regular here i can offer you some temp hosting to get your site up
(free of charge)
Atleast until you get a paid hosting plan from someone else.

Let me know if you need help still.

edit; 99.5% SLA

Last edited:
Manifest said:
There's no actual way a host can guarantee 99.99% uptime. A computer cannot be left on forever so at some point, somewhere down the line your site WILL go down.

^^ please read all the above posts before making such a nonsense post. If you would have read the details about where the server is located and the information on the data center you would be able to realize that you are incorrect. Or it may be that you do not understand how servers work. If you want more information on how something works, please let me know, I would be more than happy to assist you in learning about such a great business.

ryza said:
peace_hope,

Since your a regular here i can offer you some temp hosting to get your site up
(free of charge)
Atleast until you get a paid hosting plan from someone else.

Let me know if you need help still.

edit; 99.5% SLA

Thanks for the offer, however I have already decided on a final decision for my hosting, and already am paying for it. It is very kind of you to offer a nice thing like that for nothing in return :) . As soon as Static Host's server comes back online, within a couple hours my site will be running off of a new server with the guaranteed 99.99% uptime.

Thanks again.

peace_hope,
I am green as far as hosting goes so can you tell me how you can switch servers so quickly? I moved one a couple of weeks ago and took 48hours. Is it possible to reduce the time it takes? All I know is that I have to change nameservers and wait

A neat trick that I have learned is changing the dns zone refresh times down to a lower value than that of the normall 14400 setting. This will make the dns read the domain server and update faster (actual amount depends on the setting). I believe that you need access to whm for these options. If you do not have access to that contact your host and I am sure they will have no problem temporarily changing some dns settings for you on their server.

Manifest said:

peace_hope said:
^^ please read all the above posts before making such a nonsense post.

peace_hope said:
As soon as Static Host's server comes back online, within a couple hours my site will be running off of a new server with the guaranteed 99.99% uptime.

Technically a host can provide 99.99+% uptime, but unless you have servers in multiple locations, all mirroring each other etc, the reality is that short amounts of downtime should be expected. At some point the server will need to be rebooted, whether it is because it crashed or a software update required it. I know I would rather have my site on a server that is fully secured with all the latest patches and experience 10 or so minutes of downtime every other month than run the risk of serious consequences down the road.

I think that is what Manifest was trying to say. Personally I think 99.9% is realistic because it allows for roughly half an hour of downtime per month if necessary. This is enough time for maintenance to be carried out etc. I'm not saying this should happen every month. On most you should expect 99.99%, but demanding that every month allows less than five minutes to carry out updates etc. No very realistic in my opinion...

just a little bit of extra info about downtime, sorry if im going off-topic here.

Most major ISP's offer a 99.5% SLA(service level agreement), which is generally in the form of a signed contract (with large dedicated connections.)

So if your datacenter uses multiple upstreams + backup power you should have close to 100% depending on the amount of system updates/reboots like mentioned aboved. the chances of the datacenter having more downtime then your actual servers is fairly slim, pretty much all downtime issues are server related.

peace_hope said:
A neat trick that I have learned is changing the dns zone refresh times down to a lower value than that of the normall 14400 setting. This will make the dns read the domain server and update faster (actual amount depends on the setting). I believe that you need access to whm for these options. If you do not have access to that contact your host and I am sure they will have no problem temporarily changing some dns settings for you on their server.

Thx, I will read up on that.

I have never heard of a reliable hosting company that will change the DNS settings for one person. That just causes more problems in the long run, even if it is something like this.

No, you are incorrect there. If a host changes the DNS zone for just a certain account or user, that will not affect any other services, users, or domains on the server. There will be no problem with it.

Back