• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

help running server - will pay

mattsoftnet

I'm putting together a small dedicated server to run some websites. some are mine and a few are customers. I don't have a lot of tech support to take care of running a server, it's just that I need better preformance then a vps, but at a lower cost then leasing a dedicated server. anyway, my request: I need someone who's really good with setting up and running linux servers. I'll take care of all the hardware and most of the software, but I'm not a pro with linux yet, so all I need is a guide. if you help me set up the server and I like how everything goes, then I will move all my sites and customer's sites to the server and I'd like to pay you a few dollars monthly just to be there to answer questions or help figure out problems. we can discuss an amount later. I wont skimp, but I wont pay hundreds a month either.

those are my thoughts and my offer. who has the experience and is willing to help?

Why not just go with a managed dedicated server provider or a company that directly offers this very solution?

You'll save more cash than going for an outsourced management solution.

rohitj said:
Why not just go with a managed dedicated server provider or a company that directly offers this very solution?

You'll save more cash than going for an outsourced management solution.

right now I'm paying $55 a month for a vps. I heard they aren't good for preformance, I guess that's right. they work ok, but not if you like a speedy server. a managed dedicated server would run me between $120 and $180 a month for a half decent one. I would rather pay the $60 a month to colocate my own hardware and run it myself.

If you want to PM me, I can colo your server at that price, plus install Linux on it with good security. Not really the best time for me to make the offer as we are moving into our new data center in September when it's completed being built, so you would have an hour of downtime while we move all the servers to the new location (about 12 blocks away and a bunch of stupid stop lights..LOL). The old place is being changed to all offices.

I also have a forum full of knowledgable moderators to help you in anything you need that doesnt require my attention (programming, etc). Anyway, you can email me at webdude*charter.net (I use * because of spam spiders).

Uhh, I have a personal site in my sig, you can see http://optiquest.net , http://optimumcomputers.com , and http://worldzone.net ... and I think those will get the point to you that we own our own stuff and know what we are doing (no reseller here :)), and we dont host in someone else's DC.

BTW - On one of those sites we have a time lapse of the new place going up. You can see my office (it's blue) in the last couple of frames :D

Anyway, it will have all the usual datacenter stuff. Fire supression, battery and diesel backups, side, back, and second floor expansion walls, etc, etc. This means we have direct access to all routers, hardware, backbones, etc. We can also run your colo server thru our Hsphere control panel giving you all such functions. We can manage your server for you for a bit more, but I believe what you are asking for is merely a helping hand, as you want to learn it yourself, right?

Last edited:
Personally I think you may be better off purchasing a server to start, then paying somone to manage your machine and also colcate it.

Normally a server our cheapest at this time is $125/month + setup, and management we can though in for $25/month. I relize like you said you dont want to do this, but please think of these things, Control panel, would be more costly purchasing though an business, were as you can get it built into that $125/month. Secondly hardware, you relize you will need to spend atleast 1k to get a machine working then colocation cost, if your not to good its better to get it managed withsomeone esles hardware so if something breaks they fix it without charging you.

Just somethings to think about.

DonutHost said:
Do you have any oher methods of contact?

I do have email too, matt at mattsoft dot net

I haven't seen many offers yet. the ones I have seen don't say anything about linux experience.

mattsoftnet said:
I haven't seen many offers yet. the ones I have seen don't say anything about linux experience.

I just started working with Linux a week ago, but trust me, I know everything about it now :D

Seriously though, I started looking at it's code in 1992. I got more serious with Linux in 1995. Created a host in 96 or 97 under it before there were any major control panels..

Contact me - danethical @ gmail.com
We would be happy to help you with your server.

Back