• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

FTP troubles

No matter the file extension (except if its .txt, .rtf, .jpg, or other non-html processing documents) index will be the first page your visitors will come up with.

If it's a PHP file, you should CHMOD it to 755 or at least 655.

That may not always work bruce. In fact, I don't even USE my public_html directory, as it wouldn't redirect people to it.

Eh? I don't even have a public_html directory. It all depends on how the server is setup and what control panel, if any, is being used.

As far as I know, with cPanel it's set up as public_html.

H-Sphere uses a "yourdomain.com" directory.

Hmm, I've tried & tried this process over and over. I'm probably doing it wrong so I'm willing to let someone access my cPanel and help me with it. Does anyone wan't to volunteer? Or if they have their own FTP programs I'll tell you the details.

Hello Are you trying to upload the template to your cpanel?

If this is correct you will need to save it to your machine and then upload it to your cpanel
and place the files in public_html. Folder

When your ready to upload the template just open your FTP program
enter your cpanel login info.

Then that should bring up all your files you have stored on your cpanel account.
After you have done that fine the folder on your machine were you uploaded the template.
Click on the files you want to upload then you will need to UPLOAD then in (ASCII) mode.
Depending on what type of files your uploading you will have to (CHMOD it to 755)
if they are PHP. PERL, CGI, I hope this will help you.

This is the FTP I Use
http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla

Please read this tutorial (http://www.draac.com/wsftp/index.html)
on how to FTP, If your going to be on the web
and using cpanel you will have to learn this first. Trust me it's not hard
ounce you have learned it we have all been there:)

P.S. As a save practice I would not allow anyone to access
your hosting account it's not a safe thing to do.

Last edited:
Bruce said:
Eh? I don't even have a public_html directory. It all depends on how the server is setup and what control panel, if any, is being used.

As far as I know, with cPanel it's set up as public_html.

H-Sphere uses a "yourdomain.com" directory.

I have cPanel, don't use it... and it won't allow me to use the public_html directory. :p

Hello Bruce is correct, if your using cpanel all files being uploaded must be placed in your public_html directory..If it's not allowing you to it's because your doing something wrong.

Mine aren't in the public_html directory, because I don't have one. :p

I do have cgi-bin directory though (Don't use it though.)

Back