• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free Space Needed For LEGAL Mp3s

ILLHILL

Yep, I know, probably smells fishy, but it is not.

I'm the editor/webmaster of an hip-hop site and I need server space to store mp3s (or wma/real) for unsigned artists.

I need to be able to link directly to the audio files, but in return I will put an add up on the artists page.

Contact me @ info@illhill.com

To check my site and what it's about: http://www.illhill.com

Thanks in advance

Let me add this info.

I probably need 50-200MB storage. (after the page is uploaded, it will be promoted heavily, so more MBs would be very welcome)

Thanks In Advance

Hi, your site looks great - very well done on the layout/design.

Can I ask, your looking basically for a file mirror? And the b/w would probably get a real hit on downloads.

You need to possibly be more specific on that part for an offer :)

I hope we mean the same, but I'mma break it down a bit further.

Right now, I have a collection of about 20 unsigned artists, each provided me an mp3 (2-5mb each)

I am about to (re)launch the Unsigned artists page ("Undaground").

Visitors will be able to stream the files (I think I prefer real/wma instead of mp3).

The Undaground page itself will only link to the files, so the server hosting the files will take the hits (if that is what you mean).

Let me know if you need more info and thanks for the compliment!

Greets,

Dominic
www.illhill.com

Forget to add this:

They are undaground/Unsigned artists, so the bandwidth will not be that extreme. It is mostly for music industry people and fans of undaground hip-hop.

The mainstream audio's and video's are linked from the Record Co. sites, so the mainstream fans will find their needs on that page ("multimedia") and will not affect the bandwidth of the "Undaground" server.

It will serve more as a tool for these artists to get their foot in the door at record companies. ("My song is on Illhill.com, here's the link")

Yep - that was it - there won't be a site just a file feed - but can you judge how much would be streamed as not many hosts will supply bandwidth only (even for ads) if they don't know how much and you don't want 'bandwidth exceeded' or 'file not found' or something similar popping up.

rm/wma are a bit better due to file size but still rely on transmission compression which can make them as big as the mp3's so don't go on that as the key on working it out.

Ah - we posted at the same time :biggrin2: so it's really a feed for the companies rather than the general public.

Correct, visitors are free to download the tracks, but most of my visitors prefer Beyoncé's new video on the Multimedia page, then "what's his name"'s undaground hip-hop track.

So I think the bandwidth will be like 100mb a day.

'Beyoncé's new video on the Multimedia page' are we talking your Beyoncé's manager or did you mean 'what's his name' being the talent for download as in they won't look at yours unless prompted by new talent being announced to them.

Just a heads up, that part looked as if it could be dodgy so just to clear it up :)

To make it clear, when it comes down to audio/video streams, there are 2 pages.

One is the multimedia page, here visitors find links provided by record companies. (Audio/Video links of already signed artists)
These links are NOT hosted by me or anyone I'm in contact with.
Most visitors are interested in these.

The other is the upcoming Undaground page, been up once, till Soundclick blocked us for direct linking (didn't know that was a problem). Now we are looking for a host, to host wma files from these unsigned artists.

Hope that is cleared now.
Beyonce's manager is her father.
I have nothing to do with Beyoncé or any of the SIGNED artists on the Media page. I receive these links to the streams by the companies who ask me to put them up.

'Hope that is cleared now.
Beyonce's manager is her father.
I have nothing to do with Beyoncé or any of the SIGNED artists on the Media page. I receive these links to the streams by the companies who ask me to put them up.' - sorry that part was a meant to be a joke :)

I had a look and you link directly to Sony using the asx's, do you have permission, as that could raise serious issues and legal action to any host connected.

" I receive these links to the streams by the companies who ask me to put them up."

Permission????

These Companies Ask ME to post the links...

Just like they ask ME to set up interviews etc.

So, yes, I do have permission.
Plus Certain Companies (Universal Records...) gave me an account in their Assets Manager Database, containing Press Pictures, Press Releases And links to the latest video's.

So everything is legal.

No offence meant - but legally - things have to be clear - and in those cases you would have to supply copies of the permissions given. Plus - If you have distribution from that level of company - why are you looking for free hosting as that is pro hosting material?

The record companies only host their own material.
Paid hosting would of course be an option, but I would be stupid if I wouldn't try free first.
Plus, we're not talking a "small" website here, we're talking about a website generating close to 100,000 visitors a month and we don't even exist a year.

So it was also a chance for a small company to get affiliated with us.

Back