• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Fraudulent AOL Security Dept. Email!?

Cyber

[...]
NLC
It seems someone wants my screen name, and they need a life. Look at this email I recieved:

Dear Sir or Madam,

_ _ _ _ My name is Fred Burby, and I am from America Online Security Dept. The reason I am contacting you today is to raise your awareness of a hacker whom has been using an e-mail account provided by your internet/e-mail services. This is a case AOL has been taking seriously for some time now in terms of investigating the issue. Thousands of dollars of damage was the result of mass credit card fraud found to be traced back to this address.

This type of fraud can not go unanswered, and in order to protect the victims as well as your reputation we ask that you cooperate in helping us. On behalf of AOL, we take every internet fraud case as serious as possible and persecute our suspects to the fullest of the law.

In order to help solve this case, we would like for the e-mail address \"****@*****.com\" to be re-created so that we may monitor the messages going to the account, even though it may not longer be an active address. This would help us tremendously in our investigation and speed this ongoing case a bit, and would only be for a short period of time. If this matter goes unsolved, our suspect can be another potential threat to other people, as well as services.

If you oblige to this proposal, please reply as soon as possible via e-mail. I look to hearing from you, and hopefully this matter will soon be resolved. Thank you for your time, and cooperation. If you don\'t respond to this e-mail within 48 hours, we will try contacting you via phone.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Fred Burby - AOL Security Dept.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (650) 937 3216

Yet it was from "FredBurby@netscape.net" I'm almost 100% sure it's fake.

Back