• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Forums moved?

Originally posted by Bruce
When the forums were still at Dialtone, only about the last month or so though, the forums just seemed to time out quite often. Sometimes I'd try to refresh the page and I'd be greeted by a "Could not connect" message, but then it'd work fine a few minutes later. That started happening to me quite often, probably at least 4-6 times per day. I seem to recall a 6 or so hour downtime not so long ago as well.
This was definitely the main reason on why FreeWebspace.net made the move. The short version of the story goes like this..

Interland buys out DialTone and ensures us that nothing will change. Later messages on WHT start popping up that DialTone is moving all their servers to the Interland datacenter and closing their old building down. I contact my sales representative at DialTone on an unrelated manner and he acts shocked that I didn't receive an email saying colocation was no longer going to be offered at the new facility and that we had to switch to new dedicated servers.

He then tells me I have 30 days but later receive an email giving me 7 days to make the switch to dedicated servers. After having multiple employees tell me multiple things I'm finally relieved to hear we can keep our IP's.

We make the move to dedicated servers at the new Interland facility and it receives very little attention seeing as though we could keep our old IP's. However, things slowed down drastically and there was weekly downtime with long outages. Emergency messages to Interland often didn't get responded to that same day and it took telephone calls to Interland to get answers to any questions. Without going any further I'll leave it at this, things got ugly and fast.

Thankfully we already had plans in place to move the systems elsewhere. Once we worked out the paper work at the new provider we set up our old systems with a new OS (OpenBSD) and began testing. Things went well and we performed the server move. As you noticed it wasn't flawless but it went pretty well.

That's the short and sweet version of the story. We're very happy at the new provider thus far and so far most people I've talked to have commented on noticable speed improvements.

Hopefully that gives you a bit more background on what happened behind the scenes and hopefully things continue to improve from here. Thanks.

Back