• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Forcing windows to use 1034x768

leetcrew

hello there, how to force windows 98 to use 1024x768 everytime my computer loads up? Please help. TY

Right-Click the desktop, click properties, go all the way to the right tab on the Display CP (which should come up), then move the scroll thing to the right until you find the desired screen size/resolution. However, if your screen goes back to normal... then you should check to see if you have Apply Screen Colors without restarting (or something like that).

I'm assuming you have 1024x768 as one of your Display Settings options, which you can set once, and it stays until you reboot? Right? Then it returns to what?

Does the program "hang" so badly it forces you into SAFE MODE when you reboot? SAFE MODE will always come up in 640x480 because it loads no display drivers.

Also, you might check to see if any "watchdog" programs are running. Norton A/V puts a lot of hooks into a system and prevents some changes you could normally make. Check for programs with names that include "Shield," "Monitor," "Watcher," etc. Many anti-spyware programs load resident programs that prevent browser hijackings and startup changes. You might need to use HIJACKTHIS or STARTUP CONTROL PANEL or PRCVIEW to see what's running in the background that you may not know about. One pop-up blocker I have even has a page of things you can turn on/off to prevent all sorts of different changes from "sticking," like window placement and sizing.

Jerry

jerry4dos said:
Also, you might check to see if any "watchdog" programs are running. Norton A/V puts a lot of hooks into a system and prevents some changes you could normally make. Jerry

Cool, I didn't know that. Oh and here's a question what happens if I have a monitor that doesn't support 640x480, as when i load that resolution the entire screen goes all fuzzy & weird?? yet I can get 1600x1400 with no problems!?! Sorry i don't mean to hijack this thread just wondering. Thanks!

SAFE MODE (no drivers) brings up 640x480 and sometimes only 16 colors. This might be described as "fuzzy and weird," although the first thing most people mention is that their desktop icons all got "huge."

I've never run into a monitor that "didn't support" 640x480 (but I not ruling that out). Usually when a monitor is set to a resolution it can't support, it goes black or flashes. This is always scary when you're tweaking your display properties, and suddenly you can't see where to click for "cancel." The newer versions of Windows have a feature that restores your last configuration if you DON'T click "OK" within 15 seconds, just to prevent this unnerving condition.

Jerry

Back