• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

e107 CMS - Wow

Richard

CRM Consultant
Premium Member
All i can say is Wow...

I've a customer who used this CMS... But every time one person went to the site (at this moment in time, me or him) the CMS logs the action, link, IP, ect of the user.

This was good, until I noticed the server log. This CMS is a MAJOR CPU hog, in it's busy time (10 users online) it was using an extreme amount of CPU power! This is the worst CMS I have ever seen, also cPanel had a hissy fit when it noticed that nearly every php file used mail() in it.

Does anyone else have experience with this CMS?

http://e107.org

e107 is total crap, even worse than PHP-Nuke which can be usable.

In my experience e107 overtook server usage of joomla and sometimes, phpnuke, which is a big deal. Not as much as you are describing it but some sort of trend.. It's all about how these scripts are sealed/cleaned up in the coding.. Frankly some authors, don't consider the server side of things.

Drupal and Dragonfly are higher in my list.

hosting-shack said:
All i can say is Wow...

I've a customer who used this CMS... But every time one person went to the site (at this moment in time, me or him) the CMS logs the action, link, IP, ect of the user.

This was good, until I noticed the server log. This CMS is a MAJOR CPU hog, in it's busy time (10 users online) it was using an extreme amount of CPU power! This is the worst CMS I have ever seen, also cPanel had a hissy fit when it noticed that nearly every php file used mail() in it.

Does anyone else have experience with this CMS?

http://e107.org

As a user of e107 for several years now I have to disagree with you. First, if only 10 members on the site loads down the server then you have a problem but it's not e107. I have been on multiple sites with 100+ members and guests online at the same time and the owners of those sites doidn't seem to have server problems. Also doing a search for the mail() function in the files of e107 shows only 3 files actually call that function. Perhaps the download you got was corrupted during the download process so you should try again.

James said:

In my experience e107 overtook server usage of joomla and sometimes, phpnuke, which is a big deal. Not as much as you are describing it but some sort of trend.. It's all about how these scripts are sealed/cleaned up in the coding.. Frankly some authors, don't consider the server side of things.

Perhaps you should look into the latest version of e107 0.7.5 between 617 and the release of 070 there was much work done by the dev team to reduce the number of calls to the db thus reducing server load. Also using the cache can help. In fact, I remember some time ago, a discussion on the mambo site about several requests by mambo members for mambo to include a cache system similar to e107's

James said:

Actually I remember comments on Joomla (or perhaps mambo before joomla came into being) and requests about a cache similar to what e107 has because it improved performance. Also you should be aware that with the release of 0.7.0 (we are now at 0.7.5) much of the code was cleaned and tidied and continues to be. Maybe you should try running the latest version.

I've used e107, Xoops, PhpNuke, PostNuke, Mambo, and Joomla!, and I can safely say Joomla! is by far the easiest to use, featureful, and best overall.

As for the e107 problem, it sounds like a server problem, not e107's fault. It may be coded badly, but even so, the server should be able to handle it unless it calculating pi's 10276903654263275317509426th digit.

I have e107 disabled on my server as well, for the above reasons.

You have it disabled but never say if the latest version (075) was tried or even the pre (076) version available on the sourceforge cvs which is even better than 075.

I find most people with your comments have experience with 617 but nothing later. It is a loss for you and your members but hey that's your choice of course

You have it disabled but never say if the latest version (075) was tried or even the pre (076) version available on the sourceforge cvs which is even better than 075.

I find most people with your comments have experience with 617 but nothing later. It is a loss for you and your members but hey that's your choice of course

I've tried them all... And trust me; they are all CPU hogging, memory snatching scripts. Poorly coded with too many leaks.

For those who have the same outdated view of e107, e107 was one of the 5 finalists in the paktc publishing contest for opensource cms's. Though it did not take first place it was ahead of many others and some of the comments by the judges was that any of the 5 finalist programs would be suitable for any tasks they wanted a cms to do. If there was the slowdown you described, they would have seen it and e107 would not have made it into the top 5.

The problem of large log files was fixed with 075 and improvements continue. Those who claim that the same problems that existed in 617 and before still exist in 075 and later haven't actually tried the later versions despite their claims. I ran a 617 site for more than a year, had 3 million unique hits in that time which equates to over 8,000 a day or nearly 350 unique visitors an hour and I never had a slowdown.

Im sure the negative replies to my post will appear soon. That, however doesnt change the fact that e107 is being recognized by more and more people as one of the best cms's on the market

Last edited:
This thread is pretty ancient but I have had a few clients run it on our web servers and I know for a fact one of them was pretty busy with quite a bit of online users (70-100) and the site ran smooth, fast and had no noticeable side effects on the server.

I am guessing it is like everything, it has to be run properly

Back