• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Dreams

Dusty

NLC
NLC
Breaking from "How about a game of FWS.net Survivor?":

I wish I had dreams, but I never do.
Sleep with your feet raised so your brain has excess blood. If that doesn't do the trick, sleep with your face in your pillow to inhibit breathing. The less oxygen your brain gets, the more lucid your dreams will become, right up to near death hallucination, then up to dying, them up to dead. You probably don't want to go that far, though, I'd cash out once I got a dream. Don't take any sleeping pills, I've never dreamed in a drug-induced sleep. Sleep as long as you can, dreams occur in the last hours of the night. If you want a nice dream that's not just random images but actually has a storyline of sorts, sleep a good 12-14 hours.

You can kick-start a dream in the black hole period (the waking paralysis that occurs just before you switch over from conscious to asleep). It takes some practice to get a black hole, though, and they're very scary if you're not ready for it, but if you use them correctly you can formulate the start and structure of dream while your awake as you descend into the blackness. Once you hit the bottom it begins. You can abort and struggle your way back out and wakeup if you haven't gone down too far, but that's as tiring as though it were real life and you'll be exhausted once you awake.

If you're in a dream and don't realize it I often have a hard time remembering all the details afterward. Entering though a black hole you do know you're dreaming, so no problem there, but if not and you just start dreaming by conventional means, you can search for the key. The key is an element in all dreams (well, at least all mine). It can take on different forms but it always leads to realizing your dreaming while your in the dream. In your surroundings, which are always familiar in one respect or another, most things will be as they should but one element will be out of place, out of time, or both. This isn't a subtle difference, were you awake you would notice it immediately, but in a dream you tend to overlook it unless you're trying to see it. Find that and you realize you're asleep. This has one of three outcomes, you either skip to another dream, you wake up, or, and this is the most fun, you remember everything that happens in the dream and you have somewhat of an influence over the action (you don't control the dream, but you can sway certain events).

Example of a key: My night normally has a couple quick dreamlets then the feature presentation dream. Sometimes one of the quickies is a nightmare, dealing with one specific element of fear or anxiety. Paranoia is a common one for me, and my paranoia dream is always exactly the same. I wake up (in my dream) and find the room dark, with a thin stream of light coming from the ajar bathroom door. In the bathroom (this is third person, so I see myself push open the door and enter) the light comes from a nightlight on the vanity-- this is all correct, so far, the layout of the room, the position of items in it, nothing out of the ordinary. I attempt to turn on the overhead light but it it just glows a bit, it's not bright. I try the green banker's desk lamp, but it doesn't work at all. Then, if I'm looking for it, it hits me that my banker's lamp is milk white, not green, and in any case there should be no desk lamp in the bathroom. Dream abruptly ends.

Dreams are the fun part of being asleep. If it weren't for them, what's the point of sleeping? :)

The House dream is my favorite one I've ever had. I could type it up, but it's pretty long and gets fairly abstract at points. I guess you could classify it a nightmare, but it's not scary as in horror, it's more suspenseful and filled with second-guesses, some of which correct and other that prove false in the end. I wasn't afraid while dreaming it, but it was exciting. A very breif sysnopsis, I and two others and are imprisoned in house with six odd people and search endlessly for why we're there and a way to get out.

Dreams don't occur in just the last few hours of sleep. Sleep goes in cycles, each lasting 90-100 minutes or so. REM (level 5), dream sleep, occurs at the end of the cycle and gradually gets longer with each cycle (so yes, the longer you sleep the longer you'll dream). And Bruce, I'm sure you're dreaming -- you, like many other people, just don't remember your dreams.

Last edited:
Interesting post, Dusty.

I'm not one to dream, and I dont think i would ever get around to trying to induce dreams by getting 12-14 hours of sleep or raising my feet.

I've had the odd falling sensation a few times in my sleep, and one near death experience when I rolled over on my dislocated shoulder but thats about it.

I've also heard that keeping a pen and a pad beside your bed for the purpose of documenting your dreams is supposed to help you remember them

Originally posted by atlas
And Bruce, I'm sure you're dreaming -- you, like many other people, just don't remember your dreams.
Yeah, I suppose so. I mean, I know I have the occasional dream and all... usually having me with big heavy feet that won't let me run away or not being able to speak, like my mouth is being forced closed when it really isn't or something. Not really nice dreams though...

Something else to remember is... to, well... remember.

The more you remember your dreams, the more you will remember future ones.

So each time you wake up, take the time to sit there and try to recall your dreams. Usually it just takes one thing and you'll be like, "Ah!" and that will lead on to remembering other aspects. Then write it down. If you do this lots, you will also have better luck at remembering dreams.

Sleep paralysis is scary. Unless you're expecting it, or are used to it. Even now, if I am not expecting it, it can really freak me out. It's kind of an awesome feeling... you will suddenly be extremely aware, except completely paralysed. Then you freak out and get really scared. :D

I remember dreams like that....where you move reeaally slow..LOL

I also remember as a kid I used to have dreams where I had to go pee, but couldnt find a bathroom no matter where I looked. Of course, when I woke up, the bathroom was not hard to find. And no, I never peed in the bed. I woke up one time to find myself peeing in the kitchen trash can though :confused:

Originally posted by Webdude
I woke up one time to find myself peeing in the kitchen trash can though :confused:

OMG, I just laughed so hard at that.
--
My friend once told me he slept-walked into his younger sister's room and almost started peeing on her. ROTFLMAO Luckily, she screamed and his dad ran in and shoved him into the bathroom.
--

I had the most awsome dream ever, it was literally an epic movie! I'll type it up sometime and share it with you guys.

once i was sooo asleep - i peed in the laundry basket and put my dirty clothes in the toilet b4 my shower :confused2

You really do not wanna get into my dreams.

My dreams can go from nice and good to bad to worse.

You can be driving a corvette one minute and then find yourself swimming in a pool of soup. :confused2

Not really this topic, but since I saw somebody with much intelligence of sleeping (atlas):

How come you mostly of the time dont remember what your dream was about, mostlly I can only remember some vague imagues.

/me dont uses drugs/alcohol

Originally posted by martijndeboer
How come you mostly of the time dont remember what your dream was about, mostlly I can only remember some vague imagues.

As others have mentioned, you have to want to remember your dreams.

Think about how you store memory when you are awake. Your brain gets all sorts of sensory information, some information is kept, but most isn't stored. Additionally, some research says that a chemical is released in your brain when you go to sleep that suppresses the ability to create new memories.

Believe what you want, but the fact is most people don't remember dreams unless they really want to remember them and put some effort into it.

There are dozens of sites on the internet about this I'm sure, but here are a few tips I know of:
- tell yourself you want to remember your dreams before you go to sleep.
- lay in bed after waking up and try to remember your dreams. Running through a list of names/projects/events can help sometimes too.
- keep a journal and write down as many details as you can the second you remember the details.

People that do this generally think this allows them to better know themselves by looking at the patterns that emerge.

Then, some will take it a bit further -- Dusty seems to be an example. Lucid dreaming is when you know you're sleeping and you can help control the dream -- at least how you react to events, etc.

I don't know a whole lot about this, but this too takes practice. Usually when people realize they are dreaming they immediately wake up. Eventually a person can train themselves to keep dreaming and exert some control over the outcome of dreams.

On the flip-side, if you'd rather forget your dreams -- just tell yourself they aren't important and don't need to be remembered before you fall asleep.

I used to be able to realize I was dreaming, and control the dreams. But I don't get enough sleep anymore, and am always in too deep a sleep for my brain to be semi-concious enough to realize that alligator with George Bush's head pointing his flashlight at me while I'm hangliding isn't actually real...(dream I had last night).

Sometimes, when I try really hard to talk, I actually do make some sort of sound. Usually soon after, I wake up and realize I was dreaming, and those strange grunting noises I could hear were actually me.

I have falling dreams. When I was a few years younger, I could control my dreams, and would jump off of really high places. I could feel my (real) self holding my breath until I hit the ground. My knees would have a small jolt of pain, but I would be fine.

And always my dreams are in third person. Does anyone dream 1st person? Strange...

Also, have any of you predicted the future with your dreams. I have on many occasions. Not large events, but small events that affect my day. Maybe it's just association, but sometimes during the day, I will think, "Hey, I dreamt this was going to happen". Usually it involves very simple things. Like in my dream I think of dandelions. The next day I find myself sitting in the grass, and pick up a dandelion, and think "Hey, I dreamt this...". Small things, but fun. Or I dream of pizza, and that night my mom asks "Would it be okay if we just order pizza tonight?".

Originally posted by Canuckkev

I have falling dreams. When I was a few years younger, I could control my dreams, and would jump off of really high places. I could feel my (real) self holding my breath until I hit the ground. My knees would have a small jolt of pain, but I would be fine.

And always my dreams are in third person. Does anyone dream 1st person? Strange...

Also, have any of you predicted the future with your dreams. I have on many occasions. Not large events, but small events that affect my day. Maybe it's just association, but sometimes during the day, I will think, "Hey, I dreamt this was going to happen". Usually it involves very simple things. Like in my dream I think of dandelions. The next day I find myself sitting in the grass, and pick up a dandelion, and think "Hey, I dreamt this...". Small things, but fun. Or I dream of pizza, and that night my mom asks "Would it be okay if we just order pizza tonight?".

I have "falling" dreams occasionally too. Sometimes, I feel like I'm falling down the stairs (usually at the beginning or end of my sleep, but rarely in my actual dreams). I actually feel exactly as if I was falling in real life. It's very strange...

My dreams are almost always in 1st person.

As for future events, I myself have never experienced that. But a good friend once told me that he dreamed that a boy was standing over a dead body with numerous bullet holes. A month later, we got word that the boy's brother was shot and killed.

I almost always dream in third person, but there are the occasions where it's first (like the dream I described in the thread this one broke off of).

Premonitions? No, I don't have those and I'm inclined to believe they're just coincidences. I can tell you what commercial will come on next on late-night TV, but that's probably just because the network runs them in a pattern that I've just subconsciously figured out. I'm also pretty good with a coin toss, but then I'd be apt to say the odds of a coin toss are pretty good and, with a little luck, anyone can win several times in a row.

Hmm...you didn't learn this in school?

1st person = from the narrator's perspective (I, we, me, us, my, our)

2nd person = from the perspective of the person that you're talking to, which of course, is impossible to have in a dream, but is a POV used sometimes in badly-written essays (you, your)

3rd person = from the perspective of a bystander that's not included in the story, usually some kind of "God" (he, she, his, her, him)

So in the case of dreams:
1st person = you're seeing the situation from your eyes

3rd person = you're looking at yourself in the situation from the eyes of someone else

Mine are usually first person but sometimes switch from 1st to 3rd moment to moment. Actually I rarely remember my dreams, perhaps because they're so boring when I do. Several times I've dreamed I was posting at this forum (and sometimes other forums)... tells you how boring they are and why I rarely remember.

I feel sick....I dreamt about having lunch at school and there was this little mirror thingy at one end of the cafeteria (I was looking in 1st person). I went over to the prinicple (switched to 3rd person) and shouted something like "I know about your secret mirror"

Then I woke up-- yikes!

Back