• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Don’t Tell the Kids

The only possible thing inhumane about what is suggested from raising them outside is feeding them rabbit pellets because they are dry etc., but Rabbits still eat real food as well.

Just FYI-

Pellets (or at least, good pellets, not grocery store pellets) are considered only a supplement of the diet for small mammals like Rabbits to ensure they receive necessary nutrients, like calcium. You're supposed to feed LOTS of fresh, clean vegetables and allow unrestricted access to grass-based hays. Although, most pet rabbits get the "tiny pet-store cage with nowhere near enough room, no hay, and cheap, crappy pellets" treatment, which is horrible.

You misunderstood my point stuff. What I do with my rabbit is domestic, what rabbits do in the wild is natural, but when you're breeding them for food it's a whole different matter which involves them both.

Rabbits can't be raised in thousands, fed just pellets and hay, they need nutrition which pellets only suffice a small percentage of that. Vets suggest that you only feed them as a treat, or supplement rather than their staple. They only way I'm seeing Rabbit breeding as inhumane is in huge numbers like that, people are seeing it in the eyes of how we raise cows. rabbits are similar to humans in terms of emotions and sufficient diets.

Ben sees where I'm coming from, over-populating an area with rabbits is asking for trouble. They would fight, breed, be undernourishment, under-loved which will lead to depression. Cost-effective methods is what WOULD make the lives of those rabbits a living hell.

I still say it can't be done humanely.

PS: Rabbits are HARD to raise, it doesn't matter what age or species you get, it is hard for anyone as long as you are giving it what it needs. Anyone can stick a rabbit in a hutch in the back garden and totally ignore it, just change its bedding and food/water.

You misunderstood my point stuff. What I do with my rabbit is domestic, what rabbits do in the wild is natural, but when you're breeding them for food it's a whole different matter which involves them both.

Rabbits can't be raised in thousands, fed just pellets and hay, they need nutrition which pellets only suffice a small percentage of that. Vets suggest that you only feed them as a treat, or supplement rather than their staple. They only way I'm seeing Rabbit breeding as inhumane is in huge numbers like that, people are seeing it in the eyes of how we raise cows. rabbits are similar to humans in terms of emotions and sufficient diets.

Ben sees where I'm coming from, over-populating an area with rabbits is asking for trouble. They would fight, breed, be undernourishment, under-loved which will lead to depression. Cost-effective methods is what WOULD make the lives of those rabbits a living hell.

I still say it can't be done humanely.

PS: Rabbits are HARD to raise, it doesn't matter what age or species you get, it is hard for anyone as long as you are giving it what it needs. Anyone can stick a rabbit in a hutch in the back garden and totally ignore it, just change its bedding and food/water.

Maybe I misunderstood you... I don't know.

We had two rabbits in separate big cages, but every day we went out and fed them and let them run around the yard and watched them and played with them.

Coyotes or something would have eaten them if they were more in the open as domestic pets.

Ben said:
Just FYI-

Pellets (or at least, good pellets, not grocery store pellets) are considered only a supplement of the diet for small mammals like Rabbits to ensure they receive necessary nutrients, like calcium. You're supposed to feed LOTS of fresh, clean vegetables and allow unrestricted access to grass-based hays. Although, most pet rabbits get the "tiny pet-store cage with nowhere near enough room, no hay, and cheap, crappy pellets" treatment, which is horrible.
I already knew that, notice how I said that it'd be inhumane to only feed them that?

I haven't ever tried rabbit although I have had them as pets.

What do they taste like? Don't say rabbit! lol

[JSH]John;1096523 said:
I haven't ever tried rabbit although I have had them as pets.

What do they taste like? Don't say rabbit! lol

They taste like Rabbit! :p I don't know, I haven't eaten one before.

Back