• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Don’t Tell the Kids

Some may feel squeamish about eating it, but rabbit has a fan base that grows as cooks discover how easy they are to raise — and how good the meat tastes.

Yea in my hometown rabbits are roasted. They're even included in our traditional cuisine.Their flesh taste a bit sweet.

I'm not saying that have to be, I'm saying they would be. Something without a already solid food source, with demand, causes cruelty in order to meet demands. Then once it gets to that level where supply meets over the demand, it would still be inhumane because of over population.

Plus there's the HUGE risk of infection from Myxomatosis and VHD.

So if I raised and kept some (say a dozen) rabbits for 3 months in my (fairly large) garden with intention of eating them, would that be considered inhumane?

It is probably more humane to breed them yourself as you can control what breeding they do.

Them things breed like rabbits! :p

"Mom, are those rabbits dead?"

- "No honey! They're just hanging... Inside out. And... upside down."

So if I raised and kept some (say a dozen) rabbits for 3 months in my (fairly large) garden with intention of eating them, would that be considered inhumane?
No because you'll be looking after them, giving them the attention and love they need and crave. Good diet (Not just ---- pellets, fruits, veg.) And as Jan said, you'd control their breeding, a dozen rabbits would set you back a fair bit in terms of cost through neutering (Which anything domestic you would need, their toilet/sex habits go CRAZY otherwise), but for 3 months you wouldn't get anything worth eating, if you were getting them from a young age. Unless you treated them like crap, feeding them crap.

I don't think any rabbit (Pet wise) should live outside in a hutch, specially through winter. Mine is a house bound rabbit, who I let out for walks (And have taken for walks around my area, but not too far) - mainly because of the increasing chances of rabbits catching deadly diseases.

When it comes to supplying the food industry with rabbit, it would be humane out of what a rabbit needs naturally. Rabbits couldn't be raised correctly in the numbers of thousands, especially with it being cost-effective (Which causes most of the cruelty to animals to cut costs.)

3 months gets them to the size ready for slaughter, generally.

My point was rebutting your "only inhumanely" comment.. which I think I've just proved wrong by example.

I don't see why you couldn't raise a thousand or so rabbits in a field with plenty of grass and a trough full of rabbit feed.

because rabbits aren't cows. They simply wouldn't like, or grow healthy in groups that big. If you have thousands in a open field like that, infection is almost inevitable. Plus not all rabbits can survive off just rabbit feed, rabbits need to have tailored needs. Which no one would do for a few thousand rabbits if they're just going to be eaten.

I don't know how available it is in the UK/AUS, but here, you can find super-high-quality small mammal food like Oxbow brand in any chain pet store. They sell all-natural, nutrition-tailored Chinchilla, Guinea Pig, and Rabbit food. I think the Guinea Pig is the 'cheapest' at $14 for 5lbs of pellets, and $10 for 40oz of Oxbow timothy hay.

I'm sure it would be cheaper to seek out a farm supply store for the hay, but it's convenient.

But there's also mail-order stuff that's cheap here in the US. Kleenmama's pellets and hay end up being cheaper than the ----ty cheapo food brands when you order 50lbs at a time. And it keeps ...

I don't see why you couldn't raise a thousand or so rabbits in a field with plenty of grass and a trough full of rabbit feed.

Because he doesn't believe it to be humane.

Look Dynash, your definition of what is and is not humane can't be a blanket statement for everyone. I don't know exactly how old the species of Rabbits are, but the species was not meant to be put into a house. Some would view what you view as humane to be inhumane.

Rabbits eat grass, vegetables, etc. The only possible thing inhumane about what is suggested from raising them outside is feeding them rabbit pellets because they are dry etc., but Rabbits still eat real food as well.

You also can't say Rabbit's aren't easy to raise. Your definition of what is easy isn't the same as me or Mentok or whoever else. A Rabbit is easy to raise compared to other animals, so you can't say only inhumanely.

/end rant for now

Back