• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

do coloured scrollbars look good?

Do coloured scrollbars work?

• Always

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Usually

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Only with a coloured b/g

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Rarely

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Never

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

polestar

I can't quite decide. Maybe on certain sites with a specific feel, like

http://www.amigamos.com/

Sometimes a coloured scrollbar seems to draw my eye away from the page itself.

I can't decide whether to use one.

What do you think?

coloured scrollbar look good on some sites. It depends what the site looks like with them, just try and make them and mess around with the colors untill you find a good match.

I've found that sites with a dark background - like black - fair better with colored scroll bars than sites with light backgrounds do. Few things are quite as horrifying as a page with a white background with a bright orange scroll bar. At least I think so. ;)

it all depends on colors, if you get it right they looks nice, otherwise they look like crap

Well, sometimes even the 2d look is good. www.f--ckedcompany.com has them, and they look 2d, but I think they look really good.

I don't like them when they don't match everything, or the website is just trying to look 'hip'. If it is part of an overall design, and fits, then it's good.

I like em. I just don't like it when the page bg is white, and the track colour is alos white. Makes it look real bad. And I agree, anything but ORANGE!!!

They are difintely a no-no for a professional site i.e a big company, I think they were better when they wern't so common.

It isn't "common"... only people with IE 5.5+ can see it.. then again, that's about the only browser people use these days.

Originally posted by Canuckkev
I like em. I just don't like it when the page bg is white, and the track colour is alos white. Makes it look real bad.
I don't agree that having a white background on your page and a white track color on your scrollbar looks bad. I've got it on my site and I think it looks cute.

Originally posted by LeX
It isn't "common"... only people with IE 5.5+ can see it.. then again, that's about the only browser people use these days.
]

My site may be a rarity but 43% of my visitors are using netscape 4.x.

I have them on my site... Apparently they only work in newer OS's... I have Windows Millenium at home and they work there, but my two computers at work with NT4, they don't. All have IE5...

I put colored scroll bars up there with blink tags. Just annoying gimmicky rubbish. People see the window as the website not the browser. Scrollbars are a part of the browser, and therefore should just stay as they are.

I pity the day people are able to alter the browser color along with the scrollbars.

Greg Moore

Back