• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Dell?

oates151

I got a dell Dimension E510 with all that good media center stuff. The other day i called up dell and screamed at them that my speakers were broken and making fuzzy noise and that my PC was only 3 weeks old, obvoiusly they ordered me new ones almost instantly.

I also have a dell 4600 and it works like junk, the mother board broke about a week after the 1 year warrently expired, then the fan expired and the screen and this was all within the same month after the warrently expired. Did anyone else get this effect and do you think it will happened with the current PC i had, i bought 4 years of type of support and damage protection they had just to keep this thing goin.

Dell's philosophy is "Spend nothing on parts, spend millions of support". Parts are crappy, support is good. I do not recommend Dell computers.

I have had no problems with Gateway and HP computers.

My friend had a similar problem:
Bought pc (demension something), after 13 months fan broke, next month cd burner stopped working, 2 months later, mobo shorted

I baught a Dell that im currently using but ever since i got , it's got this habbit of freezing randomly :/ and ive tryed updating ram ect.. ive tryed different operating systems , i honstly think it may be the mother board . Im currently running Debian on it now , it's not to bad on freezes but it still freezes :(

be aware that they try to get the cheapest parts in the market so don't expect quality to be high when buying cheap systems...

I wonder why Dells would work so well in school then when there's people saying it breaks down a lot

I wouldn't go stock anything really. They disallow key motherboard options so you cannot enjoy overlocking and things alike :).

Also they use proprietary parts meaning that if you wish to upgrade, they make it very very hard. Sometimes even if people have a broken fan or wish to upgrade one they can't because of proprietary systems/parts.

If you can, build your own (I know this isnt about building more so reputation, but BIOS locking can affect your rep ;)). If you can't, I dont recommend Dell or HP, try perhaps a local store as when you build it manually you save alot of money.

Yep. The main problem the Dells have is cooling. That is why it randomly freezes, may explain a mobo short, and they are just generally bad computers. As X3r0X said, they lock the BIOS on any Dell mobo, so little to no editing can be done to the BIOS.

Tree said:
Yep. The main problem the Dells have is cooling. That is why it randomly freezes, may explain a mobo short, and they are just generally bad computers. As X3r0X said, they lock the BIOS on any Dell mobo, so little to no editing can be done to the BIOS.

My DC Convertor board went, it's mounted just below the Video Card, whether you're plugged into AC or DC on the Battery, the Laptop needs to run on DC (12V) ... so when plugged in, it converts the AC to DC...

So now, with that board bad, It won't convert AC to DC, can't charge it or run on electric, it also won't pass DC thru it without converting it, so basically no power at all.

"HI Dell, I need a DC Converter Board, how much is it, (My warranty expired last month). "
"Oh so sorry to hear that my friend, unfortunately, you need to buy a whole motherboard as we don't sell the DC Convertor card individually. $700."

"I'll look on Ebay, thanks"

Dont buy dell. Everything that costs alot to fix happens afer the warenty is up. the laptops hardly have and sodder on them to hold the chips in, after ahile the sodder will melt, which is just about 12-15 months after you buy it. eMachines is excellent. Buy from them, never had a problem with mine.

eMachines is excellent.

Not really. I've had not too good experiences with eMachines as well. But that was when they were an independant company. If I recall correctly, eMachines was bought out. So things may have turned around.

I actually would suggest Dell. For a normal user, Dell is very dependable and offers quality. However, I haven't ordered from them in a long time. I is much cheaper and more customizable to assemble your own computer. And I don't recomend HP because they use AMD. I don't recomend Gateway because of the abnormal configuration of their motherboards.

Ken96 said:
I actually would suggest Dell. For a normal user, Dell is very dependable and offers quality. However, I haven't ordered from them in a long time. I is much cheaper and more customizable to assemble your own computer. And I don't recomend HP because they use AMD. I don't recomend Gateway because of the abnormal configuration of their motherboards.

Intel = Heat

Heat is the problem of the Dells......

The fans normally will last until the warranty expires for normal operation from what I have heard......

AMD has less heat for a better price

t3chb0y said:
Intel = Heat

Heat is the problem of the Dells......

The fans normally will last until the warranty expires for normal operation from what I have heard......

AMD has less heat for a better price
Very true. I would only recomend Dell to people who don't need a strong computer and won't lose $80 if if decides to freeze. Although, AMD is not a very good option in my opinion. I would never think of going with anything but Intel.

Ken96 said:
Very true. I would only recomend Dell to people who don't need a strong computer and won't lose $80 if if decides to freeze. Although, AMD is not a very good option in my opinion. I would never think of going with anything but Intel.

then why isn't AMD a good option to you?

more people are using AMD now if you're a PC Enthusiast or just want to move onto a cheaper and much more stable build...

I'm currently using an AMD Computer and it never overheats...

Tom's Hardware Guide 's Article on Thermal Protection is too old to judge between AMD and Intel...

Last edited:
Back