• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Dedicated servers...

ravenstarr

Okay, this dedicated server thing is new to me so I'm running into all kinds of questions and issues and learning quite quickly one really needs to be careful. There are a lot of misleading sites making you think you are getting something at one price, but the bottom line is entirely different. I'm trying to figure out if I'd be better of looking for a dedicated server right off, or if I should find some other hosting option til my site is a little bigger (its at 1 gig now).

I'm not looking to act as a reseller. I simply need a heck of a lot of space. I have a site that builds and hosts band pages for a large variety of artists, and its growing every day. These pages also includes mp3s. It only took the site 6 months to grow to 1GB, so I can only imagine how much more growth could take place this year.

Currently, I'm hosting from home on a 256k DSL and its been doing the trick until recently, my popularity has shot up hugely. I get peak times where the computer really bogs down badly, so I need to do something. To increase my bandwidth here, its going to cost me a fortune so I might as well direct it toward another service.

I need something with ample disk space to allow me to grow, probably 5GB at minimum. I figure that would give me about a year or so before I'd have to worry about another upgrade. I have no idea what bandwidth I'm up to a month, I haven't quite figured out how to do that yet. I don't want a site that's going to risk me running to heavily over my limit of transfer either. :confused2 Its tough, and I don't really know what I want to do yet.

I don't really need a bunch of extra features or anything. Simple Linux (which has been running far cheaper than Windows) would do me fine, I'd just need Perl and CGI access. And some sort of access to usage statistics would be good so if I started to get near my limits, I could purchase more.

Problem is, I can't afford a whole lot just yet. In another year, the $99 a month probably wouldn't be an issue, but right now with a site that's not generating any revenue, its tight. I'm hoping to find something for less than that, like about half, which looks like its a laughable though. I thought about co-location, but that seems to be running even more than the dedicated.

Opinions, options, any providers that might be able to do something for me? I'm just trying to feel out for some opinions from people.

Anything is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Laura
Sublevel203.com

Back