• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Customer percentage loss for Direct Admin?.

Tyler

NLC
What do clients think of Direct Admin in paid hosting. Will it turn them away?. I know some people prefer it but when I tried the demo I honestly disliked it.

So it is making me wonder what the hosts that do use Direct Admin lose in potential clients. I'm thinking between 10% to 40% just because of it, but I am unsure :).

What do you think?.

directadmin in second popular panel after cpanel in my viewpoint. many sys admins like this to save cost. and some customers too
it is less popular but it is not that much bad either

See here is what we do:

Offer cpanel, plesk and direct admin and allow the client to choose thier favorite. If you do it this way you get more clients because everyone likes something different.

SitePenguin is correct, everyone likes something different although I tend to find most people prefer cPanel.

I deem you need to concentrate on the quality not on which CP you have. I'm sure your customers will chose you because of your quality services not because of the control panel they offer.

I deem you need to concentrate on the quality not on which CP you have. I'm sure your customers will chose you because of your quality services not because of the control panel they offer.

While this is true for bigger hosting companies. When your just starting out having cPanel is usually the deciding factor for potential clients.

ppl nowadays only prefer something easy to use and neglect the most important thing, the server load.

since these ppl keep on talk about cPanel only, this had made some ppl who are new into purchasing a hosting account to misunderstood that DA is not good.

anyway, it is just the mindset of the consumers nowadays.
for me, if there is a choice, i will go for DA hosting.

I don't think DA is popular at all. People use nowadays don't have time to test and see which one is better. It's mostly cPanel or Plesk.

Well said. This is one way how big companies became big.

While this is true for bigger hosting companies. When your just starting out having cPanel is usually the deciding factor for potential clients.

Depends on your target customer. Other than this forum or ones similar, most webmasters couldn't tell one panel from the other. The largest Web host in the world (based on domains hosted) doesn't use Cpanel or DA but there own custom solutions. I have numerous clients hosted on a DA server that always refer to it as CPanel. Granted you will never convince the die hard CPanel user of anything different, I have turned quite a few users from CPanel to DA.

I don't think DA is popular at all. People use nowadays don't have time to test and see which one is better. It's mostly cPanel or Plesk.

A simple search would prove you wrong. More and more host are offering a second option to there control panel offers.That option being DA, not Plesk.

From what I have seen, and this is just my own observation, most folks jump from host to host not because of the panel but because of:

The last host gave them a less than stellar service/support or
They found a cheaper one with more space and bandwidth.

As far as % loss, I don't really know. I know the die hard CPanel user will almost always look for a cpanel host, than again I know a host that started with 1 Cpanel server and now has 1 Cpanel (still) and 4 DA and he tells me he has more than he can handle, go figure.

i am strongly agree with Namepad's point of view.
guess wat? i've been heard a lot of ppl who are using plesk refering plesk as cpanel and they dun even know that there is so many brands of hosting panels.

some hosting company in my country is telling ppl that they r using cpanel, but instead, they r just running plesk and customers though plesk is cpanel

A simple search would prove you wrong. More and more host are offering a second option to there control panel offers.That option being DA, not Plesk.

From what I have seen, and this is just my own observation, most folks jump from host to host not because of the panel but because of:

The last host gave them a less than stellar service/support or
They found a cheaper one with more space and bandwidth.

As far as % loss, I don't really know. I know the die hard CPanel user will almost always look for a cpanel host, than again I know a host that started with 1 Cpanel server and now has 1 Cpanel (still) and 4 DA and he tells me he has more than he can handle, go figure.

No way DA is begin offered more then Plesk. Do a search and you will find it's cpanel and plesk most of the time. Sorry, but i can see you more of a DA fan. I respect your opinion, but facts show that plesk is begin offered more of course cPanel is number one.

No way DA is begin offered more then Plesk. Do a search and you will find it's cpanel and plesk most of the time. Sorry, but i can see you more of a DA fan. I respect your opinion, but facts show that plesk is begin offered more of course cPanel is number one.

I've seen more DirectAdmin hosts then I have seen plesk, so I think your information is wrong. No offence intended.

from wat i see, it is like as below.

1st cPanel (so much until a lot of free hosting also use it)
2nd DirectAdmin (not so much, only people who know that DA is unique is using DA. So, less hosting company is using it).
3rd Plesk (A lot ppl dun like it, including me. but there is quite some of the hosting company using it. Mostly is those Windows hosting).

I've seen more people ask for DA and cPanel then what they have for Plesk. I've seen more people ask for Plesk on a Windows system then I have anything else.

Majority of the time cPanel will win for those who utilize Linux hosting, but DA is a very nice alternative for those in the VPS market who want to save a little bit of money to learn a new panel. Majority of our sales offer DA for free, because it's that affordable, and they do tend to sell very well in most cases, and if it's not free, it's as free as it can get.

Another thing about DA is that, once you order so many, you can buy majority in bulk, which gives you instant activation, which is pretty appealing to those who want to be deployed ASAP. For them to be able to do this, I'd say it's pretty popular and very well demanded.

Just my observation in this industry.

Your way wrong. Plesk is less than 5% of web hosting. About 40-50% is cPanel, 20-25% is Direct Admin. And the rest are panels like "VistaPanel" and others, including custom-made panels.

Please read what I wrote. Here is what I said:

"More and more host are offering a second option to there control panel offers.That option being DA, not Plesk.

I said, when a second panel is offered, not first, but second, it is DA and not Plesk.

I have done the search. Cpanel is the #1 Linux server panel. When that company offers a second option (not first), that option is DA.

I do not know who is 1,2,3,... overall as the first choice when you include other OS, like Windows, but then again, that's not what I said.

And yes, I am a fan of DA, but CPanel is ok in my book as well.

Last edited:
After playing with the demo on directadmin.com I think I like it better, I really like the ability to limit the bandwidth/disk space of a domain even as a normal user. That would be good for limiting my images that I want quick access. But I don't want that being the main reason my hosting account runs out for bandwidth. Make sure you don't disable this!

(To be honest I signed up for your hosting because it had offered cPanel free and your offer looked like you weren't overselling bad if at all.)

Your way wrong. Plesk is less than 5% of web hosting. About 40-50% is cPanel, 20-25% is Direct Admin. And the rest are panels like "VistaPanel" and others, including custom-made panels.

VistaPanel cannot be counted here as it is not a hosting panel that you can purchase the license and install it in ur own VPS/dedicated server...

But I have to say VistaPanel is also not bad as it is quite user friendly and able to do a lot things in the free hosting account...

Back