• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Craigs gone geekrack style ? :o

Its something that will never change Dynash. How many people do you see when a host goes down asking for their data? A LOT. Its just one of those things that will never change.

Thats why I do daily backups to the same server and 1 backup per week to each of my remote servers

People don't think they'll lose their data if they are with any big web host, but the truth of the fact is, there is a chance, so you should always keep backups. However this seems to be a unique circumstance, where people have lost their data due to their host, or they have lost their data for an indefinite period of time.

Some people think that putting a backup on their host's server keeps them safe, or in most cases, they are too lazy to pull a backup to their own computer.

Another thing may be due to the size of their website, for example a large SQL database due to many forum users...

Or their ISP is really bad: IE they are on dial-up and CAN'T simply pull a backup of any size.

Hi!
Cough! Dialup as an excuse not to backup? Blah. Pretty lame. After all..a certain person downloaded an entire Centos 4.4 Distro over dialup..just because someone said it just could not be done. Wrong.

Any excuse will do....

Bryon

Its something that will never change Dynash. How many people do you see when a host goes down asking for their data? A LOT. Its just one of those things that will never change.
Including hosts who are always saying "you should keep a backup, it is your own fault" ;)

So for example yesterday I had a server and workstation destroyed due to a substation going atomic, 3 sets of full backups of 8 sites gone in a flash (literally).

Now if the host went awol at the same time and lost the data who's fault would that be then :wink2: surely not the client!

So for example yesterday I had a server and workstation destroyed due to a substation going atomic, 3 sets of full backups of 8 sites gone in a flash (literally).

Now if the host went awol at the same time and lost the data who's fault would that be then :wink2: surely not the client!

I highly doubt that both would happen at the same time.. Things do happen though, so sometimes keeping a local backup, and another backup on a remote server can be benifitial. Depends on how important the data is though.

I highly doubt that both would happen at the same time.. Things do happen though, so sometimes keeping a local backup, and another backup on a remote server can be benifitial. Depends on how important the data is though.

And thats why I keep a backup on 2 remote servers and 1 local updated weekly :D

I am prepared! :)

I don't even keep THAT many backups.... I have a local copy and a remote copy, but thats about it... You really are prepared :)

I don't even keep THAT many backups.... I have a local copy and a remote copy, but thats about it... You really are prepared :)

I was hosted with cari and geekrack...you learn :p

edit: oh ya and the server backs up to itself every day

Last edited:
So... back on topic. Are UK Easily really gone? They used to be really good when I was with them but after a while their reply to sales emails became very slow. A server was also to be given to someone on here for a small amount of time but after that, Craig didn't come back to the forums to give details of the server...

But nevermind, hopefully their clients were able to get some backups when their bandwidth provider allowed access for a few hours.

I see their website now has a 403 Forbidden error and it's hosted elsewhere now so maybe there's still some hope for them.

Last edited:
[JSH]John;995977 said:
A server was also to be given to someone on here for a small amount of time but after that, Craig didn't come back to the forums to give details of the server...

Yep that was me after/during the Geekrack fiasco, 404 on their own site now which is bad.

I just hope that at least Craig is okay and nothing serious is going on in the background rather than just a supplier pulling the plug.

If the feed was pulled I know it can take ages to get another supplier to replace them.

Anyone mind getting me up to speed on this? My sites still down, and my apathy's wearing thin.

You're probably the only person I've seen that is STILL waiting. Everyone else was getting backups in the 3 hours UKGrid opened the ports, then they went elsewhere.

You're probably the only person I've seen that is STILL waiting. Everyone else was getting backups in the 3 hours UKGrid opened the ports, then they went elsewhere.
I'm still waiting. And Decker, I really hope not.

If you're waiting for the port to be open, you'd have to contact UKGrid and see if they will let you have any time to backup your stuff (I doubt they will, but they're helpful). and UKEasily apprently where selling servers back to people.

That alone tells me they are gone.

Back