• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

CPanel

Status
Not open for further replies.
heymrdj said:
6. I run on an unlimited reseller plan. Not some small 20GB plan. I know its limitations, how amny people it can hold etc. Learn your server. You will get into less trouble. If you ever have to say you don't something its because you started out on a big plan trying to make money and didn't start small enough to learn the basics.
How can you run an unlimited reseller plan, and seriously expect us to think that you know your server limitations? Yes, perhaps you know how many users you can run when each one uses approx. 5gb space, but what if you or someone running on your server got a client who wanted to use 100gb space?

Unlimited (for the time being is impossible). I'm not sure wether this is your webhost or yourself offering these packages, but it cannot work. Congrats to you if you dont resell "unlimited" but even if you do not, the other members on the server are bound to take "unlimited" literally and sell unlimited packages for $5 so they can say how good and cheap they are.

I would seriously reconsider who you are hosted with, as you seem to know what you are doing and it doesnt make sence as to why you would establish a host on an "unlimited" plan.

Well, thats just what im thinking. Feel free to praise or hate me, either way it doesnt really matter :p.

Chris

hottweelz said:
I'm dissappointed in myself that number 6 didn't catch my eye. Good looking out X3R0X
Ah oh well, it happens to the best of us :).

Its now just up to us guys to set the record straight on "Unlimited Hosting" and "cPanel with Fantastico is teh 1337 control panel solution because I can install forums without knowing what mySQL is... sounds like a movie or something..."

Ive really enjoyed reading your comments here (and others aswell) so keep them coming, its very interesting and insightful to here what people are saying.

Last edited:
I also didn't sell unlimited plans ;) I only sit on a server that is called unlimited cause it sits on an unmetered 100mbit line and hard drives are upgraded as needed.

PS: This thread needs destroyed. All it is is a flame war between the old and the young. The old believe it should be a business only straight up kinda deal. Younger ones think it should be a personal thing where everybody is taken care of. The younger ones are normally too soft an the older are way too hard. The older ones think it takes a braniac to run this business, when in actuality the younger hosts were born in this generation, and can learn much faster than the older hosts can. However, the younger hosts lack the experience to deal with people. I think the best company in the world would be a company with a 40 year old CEO that gets some advice from a 14-18 year old kid.

Last edited:
Unmetered is not the same as unlimited. Unlimited = ANY amount of data can pass through the connection. Unmetered = nobody monitors the bandwidth usage.

Upgrade the hard drives as needed? What if someone needs to upload 578 GB of data? According to your "unlimited" server, that would be fine.

Just to put things in perspective.

heymrdj said:
And thats why they invented max file size uploads ;)
And between Unlimited and max file size uploads we have now created "scam"

Keep the teens in school, let the grown ups control the Internet. Not old enough to vote, shoot a gun, go to war, drive, host.

Heymrdj? Can I ask you something, since the younger hosts are born in this generation and learn much faster than us old guys?

What layer of the OSI Model does the FIX Protocol operate on? How does it differ from FIXML? Can a customer use a webhost to create a site that trades stocks in realtime thru a proprietary data-feed API into Ameritrade using it? Can you host another site along side that customer and all while behind a private ip natting through a Checkpoint Firewall?

Please answer this, cuz this is one of my most recent dilemnas I'm trying to figure out, as a webhost.

Last edited:
I doubt he will answer that. Anyone see the request for an ad free reseller account with 15 GB of space. Now that kid must be on crack or something.

Thats plenty enough for quite a number of small sites to fit in there. Not many people use over 100mb if that.

They hate the command line screen because not colourful. They want pictures and easy to do. They did not know that people managing severs are very very tired. If I were them I will take the linux command line or even just a file manager.

I totally agree with Ben Mr, this is a feud between the old and young.

Quote: Heymrdj? Can I ask you something, since the younger hosts are born in this generation and learn much faster than us old guys?

hottweelz: you see most of us young guys are self taught, we are not proffesional web designers.

Maybe we should all just accept each other....

ksb said:
I totally agree with Ben Mr, this is a feud between the old and young.

Quote: Heymrdj? Can I ask you something, since the younger hosts are born in this generation and learn much faster than us old guys?

hottweelz: you see most of us young guys are self taught, we are not proffesional web designers.

Maybe we should all just accept each other....

If you are all self taught, who are you learning from?

I notice my FIXML question was never answered. How do the young expect to help customers with inexperience (which normally would be fine) and expect us to help them, when they are busy bashing us and ruining the industry by setting new standards that are impossible to keep?

hottweelz said:
And between Unlimited and max file size uploads we have now created "scam"

Keep the teens in school, let the grown ups control the Internet. Not old enough to vote, shoot a gun, go to war, drive, host.

Heymrdj? Can I ask you something, since the younger hosts are born in this generation and learn much faster than us old guys?

What layer of the OSI Model does the FIX Protocol operate on? How does it differ from FIXML? Can a customer use a webhost to create a site that trades stocks in realtime thru a proprietary data-feed API into Ameritrade using it? Can you host another site along side that customer and all while behind a private ip natting through a Checkpoint Firewall?

Please answer this, cuz this is one of my most recent dilemnas I'm trying to figure out, as a webhost.

How much you pay me? I don't troubleshoot for free. Now lets see the work that would have to be done. The decoding of you asking a question uncomplete. I'll work on it for 500$ since you seem to incompetent to do it. Oh and it will cost you another 100 for bashing me in the first place. :)
Oh and don't forget the liscensing fees to Ameritrade. You can't stream for fee. The one thing I don't understand is why you want to attack me. Almost all you adults are the same. You think you can run the internet your way with your rules. Well think again. There is a revolution in hosting. One that brings you what you want at an affordable price with great support, good uptime, and the ability to host what you want. That company is Revolutionary Host. I have put my heart and soul into and it will not die easily. We will soon see how successful I can be. Anybody that wants true freedom of expression on the internet can't use your services. You don't give Cpanel cause eveybody should know how to code html, php, javascript, and css in a day. You limit expression with your TOS's. Your days are getting numbered and you know it. Companies such as redz and mine are beginning to slightly eat a way at your profits.

Last edited:
heymrdj said:
How much you pay me? Id on't troubleshoot for free. Now lets see the work that would have to be done. The decoding of you asking a question uncomplete. I'll work on it for 500$ since you seem to incompetent to do it. Oh and it will cost you another 100 for bashing me in the first place. :)

Do you even know what The FIX Protocol is?

How was my question uncomplete? (You mean incomplete btw)

Last edited:
heymrdj said:
So maybe peeps don't wanna be typing scripts for ten days and testing and retesting. Here this. Its called efficiency.

No... this is called laziness. Coding your own scripts is an art. I picked up a bit of PHP coding with no knowledge of programming when i was about 15 so the age issue has no relevance.

Ken96 said:
the best offer you get willbe from some kid with an ebay reseller, you will disregard this warning and take it, and you will be back in a week.

Yes, and when they go down and you've been too lazy to implement a SQL backup regeme' and your last backup is from a month ago and you email them asking about your data... you recieve no reply. *cough meenhosting cough*

deeplist said:
Who wants to actually develop a site anymore when you have fantastico to install your nuke and bb software for you? Hell, most dont even change the default templates anymore.

I agree with a lot of the stuff you have said in this thread, especially in regards to pointless forums. Personally i couldnt giv a rats .... about the control panel if any, as long as it does wat it needs to do. i really hate seeing tacky scripted site where you have one site composed of multiple scripts. Its better to use your skills to develop and inter-operable website which is much more MANAGEABLE and EFFICIENT.

What i don't understand is what could a teenager possibly be hosting legally that even needs 100mb of space? Personally i dont think ive ever developed an entire site above 5mb. I recently coded a new website with the same content (images, text) for a primary school who's site was 14mb, which i got down to < 1mb. Uploading unessesary high-res images should be criminal.

ksb said:
in this world send money through the mail is a sure way to get ripped off.

Thats actually illegal here in australia. lol

hotweelz said:
What layer of the OSI Model does the FIX Protocol operate on?

screw the OSI model! lol. Seen as tho it is a protocol i would b thinkn the transport layer?? just a wild guess..

ksb said:
you see most of us young guys are self taught, we are not proffesional web designers.

IMO there is no such thing as a professional web 'designer'. Professional is meerly just a term to describe the design elements in the web site. To my knowledge there is no qualification for this. This can only come from experience. In my Internetworking course one of the competencies which we had to complete was an XHTML based competency. I recieved full marks for all 4 assignments in that competency with the exception of losing 1 mark for a typo and i will recieve a certificate in the new year for completion of the first 2 semesters. This does not make me a professional web designer. I picked up a copy of NCSA Mosaic Browser handbook when i was 12 years old from a local library and installed it on my 386 (no internet connection) and screwed around with HTML as per the handbook. Now 19 i believe i can competantly design and develop a web site. Its all in experience. Thinkin you could walk into a web design course having no knowledge of HTML / XHTML and in a yr be a professional web designer is ludicris!

Try the transport layer of the OSI module. Also the FIX protocol is the protocol used for the exchange of financial information. AKA its what makes the "super stock tickers" of Ameritrade and Fidelity and all those.... for lack of a better word.. tick. Oh and if you need a cheap one use QuickFIX (an open source FIX engine), Kinda like FreeVPS, an open source VPS that is 75% as good as Virtuozzo. There is also Xen.

Oh and in response to the 5MB size, you don't know how to make a media site do you? My web hosting site is 28MB and still growing. My old gaming clan forums sat at 230MB and could consume 2GB of BW a day. And of course my anime site came to 4GB and could consume about 8GB of BW a day.

As for coding. I said nothing about Fantastico being an excuse. Use it to get started, then do your own. I don't use Fantastico anymore. I installed my phpBB forums and mkportal myself, via a custom coded net2FTP setup (bad internet connection; block FTP), and coded my own template. It takes years to be good at this stuff. But do you think someone who is paying 10-20 dollars a month wants to take 6 months to hand code there site? ALl the while paying for it, and barely getting it done? NO! It's a quick setup for people low on time. Like I said, not laziness, its efficiency. because not everyone can sit here for 14 hours a day never seeing a leak of sunshine because they are too busy pounding away at Notpad trying to make a script that can work. Its about making your customers happy, not replying to him saying "Fantastico? Why would you want that. Here is a book I recommend, read it and in a few weeks or months your site will be ready. Oh and that will be $30 a month. Thank You."

Last edited:
deeplist said:
Actually, I think that "post to host" is more than fair to those who want free hosting. I mean, you don't have to actually pay anything, and all you are doing is dedicating some of your time. It really is a good way to weed out those who arent really worth the time and effort of creating an account. I see so many requests anymore that say "I will NOT post to get an account." If I was the host offering the free space and I saw that, I would say to myself "Then go to hell. If you can't dedicate some of your time, then you are not worth mine."

I see these post2host crap just a way to populate a host's forum with members giving them an appearance of having contributing members. If i was running a hosting company with a forum i would want my members to actually want to be their contributing to discussions rather than posting mindless crap just to meet their monthly posting quota to keep their free hosting accounts. I've joined forums in the past in return for free hosting, and in one case (helphousehosting) it was actualy worthwhile contributing on their forum as a member. Hosts need to understand that not everyone is superhuman and can juggle a job, education and a website and then go on to post in a number of forums. when i first joined THIS forum i was an active member.. that was when i had time to join in on the discussion, nowadays im barely here.

O and in regards to the asian labelling on your site, i get where your coming from. may i suggest you change it to something like "bogus requests from asian contenants" or "only english dominant countries".. just sounds more polite for those idiots who complain. With my website i was stuck in a debate with visitors with finding jokes on it 'racist', in tern to keep people happy i beeped out the 'N' word with asterisks. Have you considered blocking their IP ranges and IPs of common open proxies in your signup form?

HEYMRDJ said:
Oh and in response to the 5MB size, you don't know how to make a media site do you? My web hosting site is 28MB and still growing. My old gaming clan forums sat at 230MB and could consume 2GB of BW a day. And of course my anime site came to 4GB and could consume about 8GB of BW a day.

Yeh, of course i do. But i just don't see the point of populating the internet with over 4gig in trash... When building a site for others i prefer to utilise actual content which is organised data. We call this creation "INFORMATION". I'm not targetting any of your websites directly, im just voicing my opinion in general. Believe it or not there are people still using dialup! Not everyone in the world has access to 1.5mb cable connections. I opt out and steer clear of designing media rich websites just due to load times.

Try-hard web designers simply design some crap in fireworks or photoshop, cut it up and put it into dreamweaver not giving any consideration to how it may display on older browsers, resolutions, platform, hardware specs of client machine, and the client internet connection, etc. i wont even get into w3c validation... if you have people waiting at splash screens loading your site or just even 30secs per image your gonna lose traffic. and in the end wat is the general user going to say? "this site is slow!".

Yeh and your customers come bak to you saying that they cant navigate back to their website from the script fantastico installed and have no idea how to create a template... obviously your customers arent going to be very happy... It would be ludicrous to pay $10-20 to utilise something as basic as a feedback form. Hey, ill script a feedback form and even customise it into your site for any1 willing to pay me that much per month!

If a client wants their business to have a professional presence on the internet, then they should be willing to go the xtra mile and not rely on pre-installed scripts. If need be hire some1 to do the coding for u!

This thread is just crazy tlk..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back