• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Computer programming

Weblife

im now learning php/mysql for webmastering

but what should i learn for actual computer programming? such --- creating games, browsers, and so forth

i was thinking maybe C++ because i heard it follows the same syntax as php and i like that.

give me your thoughts and what u like to use.

Hi,

it depends what kind of application you would like to build:
For games, C++, C, OpenGL, Java, and even director shockwave.
For windows applications, C++, Java, VB.

And by the way, PHP's coding is C like and not the other way round. Yet I still find quite a lot of syntax differences between the two.

Also, bare in mind that C++ is a strong-type language. A variable must always be declared before use and cannot change its type as easily as PHP.

if u want to get into programming
it is a must that u know how to program in c++
it is the core programming language of most universities today for computer science
althought some colleges are switching to java, which u must understand c++ anyway to program in java

Originally posted by wm2k1
if u want to get into programming
it is a must that u know how to program in c++
it is the core programming language of most universities today for computer science
althought some colleges are switching to java, which u must understand c++ anyway to program in java

Yeah, more colleges are switching to teach java. But why is that? I mean is java better than C++? It is slower, that for sure. So why is it getting so popular?

wait, is C++ kind of like php or other languages, what is their website and i will have to download it right?

Originally posted by Weblife
what is their website and i will have to download it right?
c++ don't have an offical website
c++ was develop by at&t
but the compiler is sold by many companies
there is a wide choose of compiler u could choose from

You can make a "program" in notepad. It's just a "*.cpp" file, which is the source of the program. But, to get it into an executable file (*.exe), you need to compile it. Compiling will also check for syntax errors in your code. Like if you forget a return statement, or forget a ")".

I have only used Microsoft Visual C++, but it's not cheap (how did my school afford 30 copies?), so...start with a free compiler.

Compilers change code into the machine language, which then turns into an executable image that can be run by the system.

wm2k1, Dev-C++ is based on g++ for Windows.

Back