• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Competitive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok_Host

This is one hell of a competitive forums. With so many people wanting to get their hosting out, it seems like some members try to make other hosts seem not as good. I do understand why though, I've said some "hosting" terms, that never existed. Like saying Cpanel X, when there isn't one. And I can see that some hosts have been there for awhile, but I'd like to ask one simple question...

"Can't we all just get along" :p

This is one hell of a competitive forums. With so many people wanting to get their hosting out, it seems like some members try to make other hosts seem not as good. I do understand why though, I've said some "hosting" terms, that never existed. Like saying Cpanel X, when there isn't one. And I can see that some hosts have been there for awhile, but I'd like to ask one simple question...

"Can't we all just get along" :p

as mentioned cpanel X is real. also, people do this for a living, why should they be anything but competitive? often what seems harsh is often true - the older hosts have to protect themselves from new hosts who offer silly amounts and will be gone in a week. telling the customer this might seem harsh, but in reality its the truth.

the older hosts have to protect themselves from new hosts who offer silly amounts and will be gone in a week. telling the customer this might seem harsh, but in reality its the truth.
There is also a rule about hosts bashing other hosts.

depends, if i was a host and saw another host know to be a scammer offering hosting I'd bring it up. But I do see your point jan, rules are rules.

You bring that up by reporting it to the moderators, not by posting a reply.

There is also a rule about hosts bashing other hosts.

That just ruins all the fun now doesn't it :p they should make a forums called "bash your webhost here" lmao.

Anyways the fact remains people do this for a living. You cannot expect to get smaller hosts that the people see it as a hobby to get super big right off the bat. I have been around for 3 months and am very slowly growing. Things take time, it takes time for your rep to get up, and if you slip and do stupid stuff (not saying names but I will raise my hand since it was me) then you ruin your rep and start all over again. Its like the real world. Life ain't fair. Just get used to it now while you are still ahead.

You'll find that the people that promise more than they can offer will disappear within a few months. I think I can safely say I offer very competitive prices on all my services especially dedicated servers. Taking a very small cut for the company on those, but I see people offering Dual Xeons for $60/month and I am just in shock and awe at how they can get 2000GB or 7mbit at less than $5/mbit plus the cost of hardware, rack space, techs, etc.

But I have to hope people can see through those things.

Honestly I do not believe those companies that are selling those servers for that price actually give you what you pay for. I understand how people want the cheapest they can get, but when a company UNDERSELLS it tells the client they should be wary.

Obviously bandwidth is oversold, I guess I should start doing that, but I wouldn't feel right about it.

Obviously bandwidth is oversold, I guess I should start doing that, but I wouldn't feel right about it.

You won't catch me overselling anything. Overselling may get you a few more sales but overall will take the host down (possibly). I was flipping through your site and the prices look really decent

I think it's safe to say that most people offering dedicated servers don't actually own or operate the hardware, which is a bit misleading.

Please tell me how this is misleading?

I wouldn't call it missleading, I would just call it unfortunate for those clients that buy the server from a webhost that doesn't own it and doesn't know a thing about servers and how to handle it. As for me, I may not own the servers and I may be getting them at a lower than what the company sells them at through my company, but at least i know what to do with a dedicated and how to handle it if the client needs help. Some hosts would take hours to reply as they would have to ask their provider how to handle it.

I can agree with that, you do have quite a few firms that dont know what to do with a dedicated server they are only in it for the money. Its always a good thing to have a team that can actually handle the requests that come in from clients.

It's misleading for people to resell services that they do not own like dedicated servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back