• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

.com.ru

does this mean anything to anybody

Payer 'RP7-ORG-RIPN' must conclude an agreement with RosNIIROS - FATAL ERROR!
There are FATAL ERRORS in request, object is not processed.

Originally posted by Wezz
And I don't want to give them my passport details.
And once again, I don't understand a word of this "passport". What on earth is that? Is it something not used in some countries, as I can't understand what it means, or what?

Russian names

Well I am pleased to say that after weeks of sending emails etc I have sorted this out and can now register names very fast.

It was tricky to do but it IS possible.

Re: Russian names

Originally posted by budget
Well I am pleased to say that after weeks of sending emails etc I have sorted this out and can now register names very fast.

It was tricky to do but it IS possible.

budget, could you possibly register me a name? i really suck at this stuff. thanks!

And once again, I don't understand a word of this "passport". What on earth is that? Is it something not used in some countries, as I can't understand what it means, or what?
When you leave a country and arrive in another one, you wait in a line and once you get up to the booth/counter/window/whatever you had the guy a little bound booklet with your name and picture and other stuff in it, he stamps it on one of the stamping pages, and hands it back to you. Now you've legally entered the country. That little bound booklet that allows you to travel between countries is your passport. They come in various colors depending on what country they're from. America's is blue, Spain's is red, I think Germany's is green but I'm not certain about that. I don't know what color Sweden's are.

I'm most certain all countries have passports. Of course, you're not required to get a passport if you don't intend to travel and some countries don't require you to present yours if you're from friendly neighboring countries (i.e. you don't need a passport to go from Canada to America, from Germany to Austria, etc.)

Thanks Dusty - Now I understand! In that case, I don't have any passport. But it doesn't seem like RIPN does any form of validation on that field, so it seems to accept anything...

Here's a Swedish passport, I found an image of one online.

I was right, "passport" is in Swedish as it is in German, "Pass".

Attachments

• swedpass.gif
    swedpass.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 60
A passport is a document issued by a country which confirms legal citizenship in that country. It is mostly used in travel, but it is also valid identification.

What this is all about is beyond me. I _NEVER_ had to use any passport information to register domains with RIPN. The Russian government _may_ require this information from foreign nationals residing within the confines of the Russian Federation, but it is not required for foreigners outside the country to register a domain. I have all the valid templates on file in Moscow, and repeat I was never required to give any passport information. In fact, the passport I do have expired decades ago.

Certain fields of the templates are required for one thing, but not required for others. Foreign nationals outside Russia must fill in one or two items in the domain template residents of Russian don't, for example. It is entirely possible the passport field is either only required for certain types of domains or individuals, or may be a completely optional field. I don't know... they never asked for it, and never blinked when it wasn't given. I register .com.ru domains at will. I modify my domains at will. They really could care less whether I have a passport or not.

Passports generally are blue. Diplomatic passports are generally black. Official government passports are generally red. There is no requirement to follow this, but for the most part countries follow the color scheme, though some do use green for individual passports. The colors are mostly to allow immigration officials to tell at a glance which people should be accorded diplomatic immunity, preferential treatment, etc.

Passports are proof of citizenship in a country... no more, no less. Usually, they are bound in a booklet where VISAs and immigration stamps can be conveniently affixed. There is no requirement for these pages, however. I believe several countries have separate booklets for the immigration forms, and the passport is simply a skinny identification booklet (even a card, as I recall, in one instance.)

While passports are usually considered travel documents, that is not their real purpose. Some countries don't even require passports to travel in and out of their countries. US citizens can visit Mexico or Canada without passports, for example, and the citizens of those country can visit the US without a passport. Some countries require only visas, which are usually stamped in the passport booklet, but can be on a separate document entirely. I beleive Israel makes a practice of issuing visas separtely from the passport booklet, for example. Immigrations officials really only care about valid visas, whether they are in the passport booklet or not. I have travelled around the world, and never needed a passport except once, when I needed it for a residency visa we had to get in country. Of course, it depends on which countries you visit. :)

Can somebody please post a step by step manual of how to register a .*.ru domain? I don't understand a thing of it.

Back